Warped records - do's and don'ts

Personally I dont like stacking records much tighter than what I have in the pic below as for me it becomes a PITA trying to locate the one you want to play so having the exatrx space still allows to to flick somewhat through the collection.

20191124_085953.thumb.jpg.d964438d4eb4ce73306ecaa3c57da852.jpg

As for using an oven to flatten, tried once (twice actually) and utterly destroyed both on its lowest setting which although says 50c fluctuates much more wildly than that but ive also got a commercial grate food holding oven that has a very tight temp control of a few degrees and is adjustable from 40-120. so might give that a try as unfortunately I also have a handful of warped treasures that id like to play.  And besides track 1 is my fave from the WTG soundtrack (and yeah I cop a lot of s**t around here for it ?)

20191124_090346.thumb.jpg.ddeaf28a1ccd9548df96b0d8a9829f2a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocketfrogs said:

Grooveworks in South Australia offer a record flattening service for $16.50 per album plus postage.  Probably too expensive for a $10 record but certainly much cheaper than shelling out $$$ for a piece of equipment you'd rarely use.

LP Flattening Service

LP Flattening Service

LP flattening using a Furutech DF-2 . Price for flattening your LP is $16.50 including GST. Shipping is not included. Please email here for total price

Thank your that it is good to know if I get a record that is more important. As it is only a $10 record I might try the glass idea out in the sun - nothing to lose, but it is OK to play the rest of the album if I avoid the first track where the warp is? Or just put this down to a possible frizbee?

1 hour ago, Pegasus said:
WWW.IKEA.COM

Whatever your needs, the simple, clean design of KALLAX shelf series makes it one of our most flexible and versatile solutions.

I shall try and get up to Ikea in the new few weeks to check out their options - I can take my Frisbee warped with me to test for size - LOL. 

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Personally I dont like stacking records much tighter than what I have in the pic below as for me it becomes a PITA trying to locate the one you want to play so having the exatrx space still allows to to flick somewhat through the collection.

As for using an oven to flatten, tried once (twice actually) and utterly destroyed both on its lowest setting which although says 50c fluctuates much more wildly than that but ive also got a commercial grate food holding oven that has a very tight temp control of a few degrees and is adjustable from 40-120. so might give that a try as unfortunately I also have a handful of warped treasures that id like to play.  And besides track 1 is my fave from the WTG soundtrack (and yeah I cop a lot of s**t around here for it ?)

This pic helps a lot - I was worried because someone mentioned the warp on the record occuring on the edge was because it was possibly stored on the edge, then I started to worry that I was storing mine wrong so far ????

I shall attach some pics - the ones under the entry table where my T/T sits are not leaning on the legs of the table - they are in fact leaning on perspex that is perfectly cut to Album size to give the illusion they are not propped up.

The Box I am using is a Kmart Xmas box (temporary) but I have another piece of perspex in there with a bubble pack behind it so the records are not leaning fully back on each other so there is no strain on the back one (hopefully)

This is the spot I will put an Ikea shelf when I get there to pick one up and load it in my little Yaris !! LOL

and yeah, I am cranky the first track on the album that is warped is "Who's That Girl"- had to be that song that got the warp.

Tis a great song though and such a shame as the rest of the album is pristine.

I appreciate the photo above because I can see now it is OK to have the albums slightly angled - which I started to freak out about when I saw mine and had an OCD attack !!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Sunday all ?

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

Don't panic about a slight angle. That's how most have been stored for ages.

IKEA Kallax for storage. You will find they come in different sizes (different number of cubes ) in flat pack which means you'll be able to find a set to fit in the Y aris.

I have a 2x4 cube and it took the whole back length of a Subaru wagon.

Edited by eman

16 minutes ago, eman said:

Don't panic about a slight angle. That's how most have been stored for ages.

IKEA Kallax for storage. You will find they come in different sizes (different number of cubes ) in flat pack which means you'll be able to find a set to fit in the Y aris.

I have a 2x4 cube and it took the whole back length of a Subaru wagon.

That is good to know then - whew - I started to think I was doing it wrong .......hard to keep totally vertical as gravity won't allow it unless they are crammed in, but then you would think that could cause ring wear let alone make it hard to get in and out and flick through? 

I am excited to check for storage at Ikea though, being a house proud person it is all about how something looks as well as function (remember I am a fussy female) but the cubes could be good as I am thinking they can be added to or stacked - and yes, flat pack no doubt so so assembly required, but I am usually OK with that - just setting up turntables I won't touch ?

Thank you

Edited by April Snow

5 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

When I went hardcore with my record collecting, I ended up going to relative extremes to maintain my collection.

For cleaning I use a vacuum based cleaner as well as an ultrasonic (KLAudio). I use an Orb+ to flatten all but the most perfect of records. Not cheap for sure, and I guess you do need a relatively large record collection (or the intent in getting one) in order for it to be worthwhile.

By the way I dig your collection. Looks like we have similar tastes... I don't recognise that copy of TB though, is that in a box set?

Jarre's Oxygene box set is a good one too :)

Another great reason to get yourself a flattener (when you're a collector) is when that really tough to find record comes along, that has a perfect jacket and is otherwise unplayed other than having a warp in it, you can salvage it.

Case in point, I was looking for a decent copy of this for over a  year:

WWW.DISCOGS.COM

Label: Rulin Records - RULINLP01 • Format: 2x, Vinyl LP • Country: Europe • Genre: Electronic • Style: Trance, Downtempo, House

When one finally came up that was unplayed and had a mint jacket, it was sadly warped. This is not a cheap pressing so having a flattener saved the day.

31 minutes ago, TDK said:

When I went hardcore with my record collecting, I ended up going to relative extremes to maintain my collection.

For cleaning I use a vacuum based cleaner as well as an ultrasonic (KLAudio). I use an Orb+ to flatten all but the most perfect of records. Not cheap for sure, and I guess you do need a relatively large record collection (or the intent in getting one) in order for it to be worthwhile.

By the way I dig your collection. Looks like we have similar tastes... I don't recognise that copy of TB though, is that in a box set?

Jarre's Oxygene box set is a good one too :)

Thanks TDK I (like many of us here i suppose) like to think I have something for everyone but some more than others I guess haha. Agreed the Jarre Oxygene box was well worth it as the signed artwork by the man himself  is almost worth the price of admission alone I reckon.

Anyway I digress as it does not assist with the the OP's warpage question although I do wish I was a close friend of yours with the ORB in your possession? 

Edited by Tubularbells

On 23/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, April Snow said:

I am not sure my oven would go that low to be honest, it is a fan forced thing .................

Poor Dean Martin - we all like to give it to him eh? hahahahahhahahaa cracked me up !!!

The Orb - wow - just googled that  very pricey !! A little overkill for my $10 vinyl I purchased off Discogs !!

If I could afford an Orb, sure I would probably buy one but I'm not sure why anyone recommends the Orb in a serious way considering the price (equivalent to the cost of approx 50 to 75 LP's). Of course it's the ultimate, it would want to be......but for most, it's simply 'unobtanium'. Two panes of glass and a little bit of risk for the same result makes much more economic sense.?

What about Vinyl Flat at about a quarter of the price of the Orb?

PS: We weren't 'giving it' to Deano at the 2018 Hi Fi Show......when his voice was emanating from those Kharma's!!??

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevoz said:

If I could afford an Orb, sure I would probably buy one but I'm not sure why anyone recommends the Orb in a serious way considering the price (equivalent to the cost of approx 50 to 75 LP's). Of course it's the ultimate, it would want to be......but for most, it's simply 'unobtanium'. Two panes of glass and a bit of little risk for the same result makes much more economic sense.

I can't speak for everybody, but the convenience of having a device that works 100% of the time as opposed to the unreliable 'oven method' makes clear sense for me.

As far as the economics go, nothing in vinyl-land makes any economic sense!

Granted you do need a big (and ever growing) library to make one worthwhile. For the casual vinyl buyer they make little sense.