Looking For Stereo Integrated Suggestions

Wood

Really happy with my HT setup so now focusing on improving the two channel music listening experience. 

Looking for a stereo integrated that will do a better job than my AVR with vinyl and streaming sources. 

Current speakers are KEF Q950s, but when these sell they will be replaced with KEF R3s. 

Requirements:

1. Available in black. 
2. Has HT bypass capabilities. 
3. Will perform better than my Yamaha RX-V1085 when watching movies. 
4. MAX spend is $3,500 (second hand is fine). 

It does not need a phono stage as this will be factored in when I purchase a TT. 
It also does not need a DAC or any sort of network/BT features. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Suggest you have a hard look at this:

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

And, as following our philosophy for best. other integrated amplifiers within its category. the stabilized power supplies until the driver transistor section. Four high-current power supplies...

Very rich, sweet, detailed and dynamic sound which should pair well with the KEFs. It appears to be only a few months old and should therefore still have considerable warranty, etc. I think it can do HT by-pass but you'd have to check. Well under new price.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Irek said:

Why do you want to change speakers ? Just thinking if you keep your current speakers and invest more in integrated $5000+ it might give you better experience. 

Even if I did keep the Q950s my budget for the integrated wouldn’t change. 

7 minutes ago, wen said:

Musical Fidelity M5si, pick of the range, has phono and lots of grunt + other features, in your budget, new, warrenty

+1 on this.

Sounds really good indeed and will work with (and drive easily ) just about any speaker you would conceivably partner with it.

I had one until recently and am now regretting selling it.

Guest jakeyb77
17 minutes ago, rantan said:

+1 on this.

Sounds really good indeed and will work with (and drive easily ) just about any speaker you would conceivably partner with it.

Yep, shoulda kept mine also ?

36 minutes ago, wen said:

Musical Fidelity M5si, pick of the range, has phono and lots of grunt + other features, in your budget, new, warrenty

26 minutes ago, rantan said:

+1 on this.

8 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

How does it compare to the Rega Elicit-R?

Just now, Wood said:

Much more power and current as well as being more tonally neutral.

Rega amps are fine with easier speaker loads, but the MF kills it for versatility and the ability to easily blend in with any given system, where the Rega needs careful system matching.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gemini07 said:

Suggest you have a hard look at this:

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

And, as following our philosophy for best. other integrated amplifiers within its category. the stabilized power supplies until the driver transistor section. Four high-current power supplies...

Very rich, sweet, detailed and dynamic sound which should pair well with the KEFs. It appears to be only a few months old and should therefore still have considerable warranty, etc. I think it can do HT by-pass but you'd have to check. Well under new price.

Agree. Go to Audio Connection with cash in hand and make an offer. You might be surprised.

16 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

I can sell it back to you with small burn in fee... ?

Half thinking off moving it along, love it but really want to go a streamer with dirac and I already have a power amp sitting there doing nothing and something has to give 

16 hours ago, Wood said:

I demo-ed both, I reakon the Rega was a punchier amp, snare drums just cracked harder to the the was more punch in the kick.. Which I really liked 

The M5si was more detailed. 

I chose the M5Si because:

I got a near new one cheap 

It's got HT bypass (Rega hasn't?) 

It's got trigger in (Rega hasn't?) 

Got DAC built-in (Rega hasn't) 

I am running my M5Si after a Yamaha 1081 avr in HT bypass mode and then on its own for 2 ch.. It's great, leave it in HT bypass, just press the remote on/off on the the Yamaha and the M5Si just acts like a power amp, you don't have to touch it. Very wife friendly (except when you forget to turn it back to HT bypass before you turn it off after you have been listening to 2ch, Simple press of remote button to change though.. Which ISNT wife friendly... Apparently) 

If I was going a stand alone 2ch system, I probably would have gone the Rega, I liked its more forward sound. 

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 3

On 24/11/2019 at 10:31 AM, furtherpale said:

I can link you up with a member selling a Luxman L-507 in that ballpark (he offered it to me while I was looking for an integrated).

I’m assuming it’s silver?

As vain as it sounds, I’m looking for a black unit. 

9 minutes ago, Wood said:

I’m assuming it’s silver?

As vain as it sounds, I’m looking for a black unit. 

this is where something like musical fidelity is good have options or black or silver. another dark horse :D is unison research make some lovely 2ch integrated both valve and hybrid and look lovely in black 

another one to check out is primare and Bryston. all good options .... best to head into a store that sells your kefs and check out what options they have. cant explore all options on earth but its good to check out what can, am sure will find something that suits and it might not even be something mentioned here as yet :) 

• Like 1

Just finished reading a nice SNA official review of the new Creek Evo 100. it seems to tick all the boxes with optional phono and DAC modules as well as being really good as it stands. It could be worth a look.

I am actually curious if any member here has see/heard one of these and what their impressions were?

Creek has always flown somewhat under the radar and perhaps never received their due accolades, but they were always highly musical and more than favourably comparable to to the more widely known UK brands and this one looks very tasty.

WWW.STEREO.NET.AU

Britain's Creek Audio has established a reputation for producing high-performance, value for money Hi-Fi components. We take a...

Guest jakeyb77
1 hour ago, bjs said:

There are some good deals on them ex demo usually or almost new secondhand.

You have been found guilty of not reading the whole thread ?

Not to dissuade you from your R3 plan, but as an aside I have to agree with an earlier comment that the Q950s have a lot more to give. 

What the Q series towers want more than anything is an absolute truckload of power. Throw something like the 350wpc Rotel power amp in the classifieds at them, and you'd be surprised at how clear and authoritative they become. Something to pass on to prospective buyers if you sell them, at any rate. 

On the subject of an integrated for the R3s, the Musical Fidelity makes a lot of sense, though I've not heard that combo myself.