I know we are all on the journey to get that last 20% but just wondering what everyones views are as to what price point (Generally!) for various components do you think you have the 80% covered. 

It’s impossible to answer “across” the board as everyone’s price point is different. 
I’d say $40K for 80%, double that for the next 10% and double again for the remaining 10%. 
yrmv

Yup, impossible to answer.

Who knows what 100% is?

And if someone goes DIY how does that correlate to retail, and in every price range there is crap, OK, good and a few gems. Add system synergy and there you have a can of worms, and that's before tweaks of different kinds including tweaking the room.

Edit: one person with 10k might get closer than another person with 40k.

Edited by Muon N'

and another person with 2k will enjoy their music just as much.........

Agree with all the above. 

Your best bet for investment to get into those last 20% is your room, as far as tangible things are going. To cover intangible aspects of being an audiophiliac, one has to consider investing in a decent psychotherapist. You have to start asking some fundamental questions: what is the meaning of the 20%; does 20% even exist; what if you are perfectly happy with 80%, does that mean that 80% is suddenly your 100%?   

Forget the 20%, it’s full of Myths, unicorns and rainbows!

Enjoy the 80% because if you are there you are no doubt enjoying what you have anyway.

Does anyone truly believe you can actually buy that last 20%?

From what I can see, it will forever be elusive.

18 hours ago, Bcdesign said:

I know we are all on the journey to get that last 20% but just wondering what everyones views are as to what price point (Generally!) for various components do you think you have the 80% covered. 

Things which make an enormous difference in hifi don't necessarily cost a lot of money, so it's very difficult to say.

1 hour ago, joz said:

Does anyone truly believe you can actually buy that last 20%?

Heh, I know what you mean  :) 

... I tend to twist that around a little bit.

The first 80% is the "free" bit.   It's room layout, positioning of source and listener, and sensible speaker/subwoofer design.

It's that last 20% which sucks all the money up.

12 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Things which make an enormous difference in hifi don't necessarily cost a lot of money, so it's very difficult to say.

So true! Before spending any money, try and make sure you are really maximising what you have, things like speaker and subwoofer placement are some of the most important things, get that wrong and you may think you need something you don’t and potentially even go backwards.

On 23/11/2019 at 1:21 PM, davewantsmoore said:

And conversely a lot of things that don't make much difference can cost a lot more than those that do.

It depends of hearing capability as well. For me the highest level is for example Focal sopra no 2 and Devialet 220. 

My ears are not good enough to appreciate any improvement above that. 

So around $40k is my 95%. 

Devialet is on my shopping list 2030.

An how can anyone say what the 100% is?

It will be a target that is very different from one person to the next.

Say you are at 80%, then you improve your setup by a relative 10%, so are you now at 88% or is that now your new 80%?

100% would be the equivalent of your head (ideally attached to your body) right there in the room during the performance. Top tier audio, no matter how much it costs or who makes it, can't get closer than about 70% of this (super accurate number derived from Ultra-science Power there) due to the way recordings are made. The information your brain requires to recreate this experience is simply not recorded. To ever get to 100% would mean a major change in recording technology, where audio is recorded in such a way that individual people's HRTFs can be recreated through processing.

Personally I think it’s more like 80/20 achievable at upper midfi, 90/10 at lower hifi level and then 95/5 is more elusive.

I’ve heard half a dozen $50k to $300k systems that are very good while $10k to $20k rrp equivalent cost well chosen and matched used systems that in reality cost about about $3-6k used easily can do 90/10 and more if the user is good at it, some attributes even beating the mega systems depending on what one is chasing or focusing on.

There have been several instances of the mega systems sounding very average.

Edited by Al.M