Sign in to follow this  
Winterspace

Gieseler Klein 3 V Audioquest Dragonfly Red or Cobalt

Interested if anyone has compared the either of the latest Dragonfly Dacs with a Klein 3.

I own the Red & am very happy with it, but unsure if a Cobalt or Gieseler Klein 3 would be a noticeable upgrade.

Was looking at the Mojo, but put off with the possible battery issues.

This would be via USB between a pc based source and Marantz PM6006 & Q Acoustics 3050 speakers.

High-profile brand marketing / reviewing / advertising has succeeded resoundingly, if it has us comparing a DAC chip in a USB stick to a fully fledged DAC like the Klein III. 

I'm sorry, but are you serious?!

Oh, I just realised you're fairly new on the forum...Sorry if I sounded harsh. 

Audioquest Dragonfly 'DACs' are marketed as portable audio solutions for laptop and smartphone users. Noise filtering in combination with a modern DAC chip make audio on the go more listenable and enjoyable. Some reviewers and users enthusiastically claim that Dragonflys rival domestic DACs, but this is wishful thinking.

A fully fledged DAC like the Klein III has a properly developed analogue output stage, large, well-designed power supply and high-grade components. 

There really is no comparison!

15 hours ago, was_a said:

A fully fledged DAC like the Klein III has a properly developed analogue output stage, large, well-designed power supply and high-grade components. 

There really is no comparison!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll just have to acquire a Klein 3 & listen to the difference.

Especially with xmas coming up :)

I agree that the Klein, which my son-in-law owns, is excellent and well-built (he and I love its sound and features).

So is the Dragonfly Red in its own way. I have this in my desktop system and it is not disgraced sonically by larger and 'better-made' DACs. It is a little miracle, and involving to listen to. This in itself is quite amazing. I understand that some cheapo Chinese DACs are likewise quite good-sounding.

I suppose the question is how much time you are going to spend listening to which particular DAC in which kind of system. Balancing the quality of each component. Marrying them together in a balanced way.

Considering the 'low' price of the Dragonfly Red I would get both.

Definitely set on a Klein 3. Hoping for one to appear in the classifieds. If not, may have to buy a new one from Gieseler.

Comparing the Red on my main system with my CD player ( Denon DCD-720AE CD Player ), although not as good it does a very good job.

However, it seems to be the obvious upgrade to my main system as I am happy with the amp & speakers & like the flexibility of a Musicbee on a PC. I'll just move the Dragonfly red to my work PC, thus upgrading both systems

On 23/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, doogie44 said:

I agree that the Klein, which my son-in-law owns, is excellent and well-built (he and I love its sound and features).

So is the Dragonfly Red in its own way. I have this in my desktop system and it is not disgraced sonically by larger and 'better-made' DACs. It is a little miracle, and involving to listen to. This in itself is quite amazing. I understand that some cheapo Chinese DACs are likewise quite good-sounding.

I have bought quite a few cheap Chinese no-brand DACs between $100 - $700 AUD. At the bottom end of the scale the circuit boards are rudimentary, but still listenable. At Dragonfly Cobalt prices, an equivalently priced no-brand DAC from China is often surprisingly good - and much better value. The latest ones use the Sabre ES9038Pro chip adopted by Audioquest for the Cobalt.

The Cobalt has a fixed digital filter: minimum-phase slow roll-off. This is fine to tame treble harshness and 'square-wave' transients in bad recordings. And sometimes nice for close-miked piano. But a fully utilised ES9038 DAC has six other filters - including linear-phase fast roll-off, which works best for most recordings.

Edited by was_a