SOLD: Acoustic Research AR-2ax Speakers

Item: Acoustic Research AR-2ax
Price: $95
Item Condition: Need some TLC
Reason for selling: Not getting any TLC
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Classic early 70s Acoustic Research speakers. Pretty uncommon in Australia as far as I can tell. These are largely in working order, but definitely need some love. Could be a stunning pair of classic speakers with a bit of work. Sold as is. Feel free to ask for extra photos/details.

• All drivers are original and functioning, although woofers need new surrounds and at least one tweeter appear to have been rewired at some point (see pics)
  • 1 of the ceramic tone pots is half missing and I think has been bypassed. The other three appear to be okay. 
  • For some unknown reason, the previous owner cut some pieces out of the back of the cabinets to access the tone controls (see pics)
  • There's at least one crack in one of the grills, can feel it when you take the grills off but can't see it

I have a real soft spot for Acoustic Research speakers, but after having these sit around for a couple of years, I think it's time to admit to myself that I'm probably not going to get around to fixing them up any time soon.

Would strongly prefer local pickup given the size and weight of these.

Photos: 

IMG_20191121_200056.jpgIMG_20191121_195840.jpgIMG_20191121_195851.jpg

IMG_20191121_195853.jpg

IMG_20191121_195924.jpg

IMG_20191121_195929.jpg

IMG_20191121_195956.jpg

IMG_20191121_195845.jpg

IMG_20191121_195847.jpg

Edited by Timepop
  • Love 1

Fantastic speakers in their day, first true HiFi speakers I'd heard!

Great restoration project for someone,  I in fact did exactly that to a pair several years ago- can get all the info on how to from an Audio Research owners forum and all the necessary parts from Parts express.

I'd get rid of the old speaker terminals with L pads and replace with some gold plated speaker terminals plus separate controls.

Happy to provide more info to anyone interested in this project. 

• Like 5