markm1111

Amp/Dac suggestions for Aeon Flow/Focal Clear

The main phones are a closed back pair of Mr Speakers Aeon Flow, which are planar, 13 ohm impedance and 93dB sensitivity. The other sometimes pair are Focal Clear, 55 ohm impedance and 104dB sensitivity.

I am after a combined amp/dac, or amp and dac stack, to suit. I had a Chord Hugo TT which I was using, and really liked, but needed to realise some cash so sold it off. I have tried using a long extension cable from my main system, but that is less than satisfactory, so I want to go back to something on my desk. My budget is down considerably from the TT at $1,000.

My request is a little bit more specific - I would really prefer a BNC input for the source, which is making my search a bit more difficult. When I had the TT,  Geoff from Aurealis made me up a really nice long BNC to BNC cable to feed the dac from the M-Scaler in my main system. Given the length, I want to stay with BNC at both ends of the cable if I can. This limits what would have otherwise been a plethora of options.

So, any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, markm1111 said:

I would really prefer a BNC input

I cannot help you with the BNC input but for a combo there rme ADI 2 is the real deal but still $1600. My recommendation for under $1000 is the smsl su8 (this is the DAC but it's really interchangeable with and decent DAC) to smsl sp200 which is the current budget amp as had the thx AAA 888. This setup is under $800 (DAC $300 + $400ish amp).

IMG_20191116_161628.jpg

It won’t match a top end amp, but the old Benchmark Dac 1 has a bnc in, and Can drive AFOs passably, as long as yours are 1/4” terminated

9 hours ago, sakabatou said:

It won’t match a top end amp, but the old Benchmark Dac 1 has a bnc in, and Can drive AFOs passably, as long as yours are 1/4” terminated

Thanks fort eh suggestion, but I had one of those quite a few years back. It was ok, but not to my taste in the headamp. I'm thinking the BNC connection may be limiting too much so will open up to RCA SPDIF inputs and just use an adapter on my cable

In that case, consider this :

I had one driving my AFOs. Gobs of power and the smooth treble is a good match