Sign in to follow this  
Farpun

TV vs monitor latency

Hi, generally speaking PC monitors have lower latency/input lag for videogames than does a TV. I am wondering if I use an external video scaler to upscale my videogames to the TV and/or monitors resolution if they're would still have a difference in input lag.

If you use an external scaler does a TVs scaler still get used and cause input lag?

Sorry if I worded this badly but basically I have an external processor, a monitor and a tv and was wondering what the lowest latency option would be?

Guest Muon N'

I think you would be limited to the abilities of the TV, but I'm no expert.

But try these tips to help.

https://www.techhive.com/article/183928/how-to-find-and-fix-input-lag-in-your-hdtv-or-monitor.html

And these if not mentioned in the above.

t some obvious and not so obvious ways to reduce lag.

• Use game mode (this is obvious). If you are a fanatic about TV picture calibration and are frustrated by the lack of fine-tuning white balance, check to see if there is a factory menu you can access for more granular adjustments. Game mode is the single most important thing you can do as far as reducing input lag.

• Disable HDMI-CEC. In my tests, this added ~10ms of lag on my set. I disabled it on my TV and on my PS4. Though, disabling it on my PS4 didn't change my lag, but it did change audio cut out (not really relevant to this thread though).

• Disable any power saving settings or ambient screen dimming. Both of these add additional lag (~10ms each).

• If possible, test each HDMI input. I have 4 HDMI inputs and two of them consistently have less input lag (6ms less) than the other two.

• Using TV speakers add input lag. If possible, use a separate audio system. Using TV speakers added ~8ms of lag on my set.

• Some TV's will automatically reduce all post-processing if you label an input PC. I have a Sony and I did this and the lag was the same as game mode. That being said, there were subtle white balance differences and shadow detail.