CAVL

Sennheiser HD 58X/600/6XX

What would be your first choice and why? 

20191119_063502.jpg

The 58X has an inferior driver and isn't as resolving as the 600/6XX.

Budget wise I would get the 6XX first because honestly there is not a huge amount of difference between the 600 and 6XX. 

I bought the 6XX to begin with and loved it so much that I bought a 600 and cannot decide which one i prefer. It comes down to personal taste. It's hard to justify owning both but like I said I loved them so much and the timbre is so good on them that I just kept the 600 and 6XX.

Long story short the 6XX first due to being the best for the money headphone then the 600.

I wouldn't consider the 58X because I believe the 6XX/600 is superior and worth the extra money, I'm sure some would disagree.

i ended up selling my 58X with very little use. only because picked up a hd800s instead. hopefully in use find that better than the 800 original ... ps i for one thought the 58x in very little use i had pretty much on par with the 580s of old i once had. dont think much in it between it and the 600 an id prefer it to hd650 which i have also had. 

ps if you like hd 580s/58x or hd600 i would heartedly suggest the hd700 which his better of the lot :)

ps i have as can gather owned all of these at some stage :D

I do like 600/6XX because of the neutral relaxed sound, I'm finding the 58X too agressive and I have heard some distortion in some songs, I think I will end up selling it.

Could you please elaborate on the 700 comparison?

I think a 660 is worth it more than 700.

A ZMF Auteur or Aeolus would be a nice step up too.

I've had the 600 in the past and I have the 58X now. I definitely regret selling my 600's, especially considering I got them for around $300 new and they've never come close to that price again. The 58X are quite capable - their treble is just grainer and they're more aggressive than the 600's.

On 21/11/2019 at 9:39 AM, CAVL said:

Could you please elaborate on the 700 comparison?

its closer to the neutrality of the 800 series. 650 series were a bit heavy bassy which some will instantly like and take to but get a bit tiring after a while. 

HD58X and HD6XX just landed to Addicted to Audio $299 and $379.

Edit: I just realized they are no longer available to deliver to Australia from Drop. 

Edited by CAVL