Do you ever add up all you’ve spent and think, maybe a Sonos (insert other consumer grade all in one kinda product) would have sufficed and I’d have all this cash left over? 
Just had this thought slip into my mind when listening to the Sonos in the bedroom. It’s actually pretty damn good for what it is.

More broadly, do you ever regret your purchases or journey?

15 minutes ago, Bcdesign said:

Do you ever add up all you’ve spent and think, maybe a Sonos (insert other consumer grade all in one kinda product) would have sufficed and I’d have all this cash left over? 
Just had this thought slip into my mind when listening to the Sonos in the bedroom. It’s actually pretty damn good for what it is.

To me it is about both the journey and the destination.  The journey is more important.  How does one know when the destination is reached?  There is probably just more journey, pleasure and expense to come.

John

32 minutes ago, Bcdesign said:

YES and YES. Quite often I wonder why I bother. I know many people who just love their music and enjoy it  on systems we would all frown upon.

However my life (and probably many others ) would have been very different and there is no way of knowing if it would have been better or worse sans audio foolery.

Edited by rantan

Yes

And

No........man's got to have a hobby

:thumb:

3 hours ago, Bcdesign said:

No!  :lol:

2 hours ago, Assisi said:

To me it is about both the journey and the destination.  The journey is more important.  How does one know when the destination is reached?  There is probably just more journey, pleasure and expense to come.

John

Absoloootely!  :thumb:

Andy

40 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I try and avoid masochism.

Hahaha

My sister in law bought my brother a whole Sonos set up; Sound bar, sub and two satellites. The cost of this setup is the same as a pair of KEF LS50W's. There's no comparison, Sonos sounds dreadful

I've gone through phases where I can't be bothered with the whole thing, but never including thoughts of deliberately acquiring worse sound. 

Fortunately the last one of these was many years back so I'd say I'm well into remission. My sound has improved dramatically this year and I'm quite chuffed with the way things are right now.

I have three Sonos systems in living and dining rooms, or at least 3* ZP120 plus other branded speakers and subbies, and a higher end system in lounge room.   The Sonus system is great for enjoying music when just hanging out around the house.  What it doesn’t provide is a) satisfactory audiophile listening experiences sitting between the speakers, and b) a hobby.  But no regrets from running both set ups 😃 

A Sonos or similar system doesn't allow that pride of ownership or the ritual of slowing down with a glass of scotch and a packet of tim tams and listening to your favourite vinyl ,CD or whatever.   :) Takes you to another place.

2 minutes ago, Tezzmond said:

A Sonos or similar system doesn't allow that pride of ownership or the ritual of slowing down with a glass of scotch and a packet of tim tams and listening to your favourite vinyl ,CD or whatever.   :) Takes you to another place.

Yes indeed.

Notwithstanding the thoughts in my previous post, I really do relate to the "pride of ownership ' concept and I am certainly at that stage with my current set up. My regrets are only periodical, but I am working towards a goal of high quality simplicity and I plan on paring back on some gear.

The only problem is that much of it, although very good quality, is not worth a great amount in this current buyer's market.

Dunno if I would be eating Timmies with whisky though.:lol:

3 hours ago, Tezzmond said:

a glass of scotch and a packet of tim tams and listening to your favourite vinyl CD

Going to have to try that!