Which DAP Sony wm1a, fiio M11 pro or ibasso dx220

On 27/01/2020 at 12:29 PM, oldf%$ker said:

I'd be going DX220. Interchangeable amps + lurker firmware which improves battery life, GUI performance and adds Google Playstore. It also comes with a decent leather case and the support from iBasso is very good and unlike FIIO won't be replaced by a "superior" model 5 minutes after you buy it!!

Can be had for 1299.00 here in AU.

I'll be buying one myself very soon.

If be interested to see a video of how much the lurker firmware improves GUI performance, that was my main issue with picking one up to try out Korg's nutubes in the Amp 9...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Like you said, the WM1A doesn't have streaming so if that's important to you, take it out of the running. I have a ZX300 and I'll be selling it as for me, the convenience of Spotify is starting to tak

Having heard a lot from the FiiO M11 and really enjoying it, I'm sure the M11 Pro would certainly work for you. Have you had a chance to listen to the M11 (not pro)? Might be a good option too. L

I bought the M11 none Pro.  Speaking to A2A they advised was not much difference based on the headphones I would use.  Also the none pro version is more powerful and has 2 SD card slots while being ch

8 hours ago, commawaffle said:

If be interested to see a video of how much the lurker firmware improves GUI performance, that was my main issue with picking one up to try out Korg's nutubes in the Amp 9...

Here is a video showing UI performance stock. Not sure which iBasso firmware though. There would have been numerous updates since  April 2019. Could not find a video showing performance with the Lurker firmware.

Just got the BTR5.

It's *tiny*. Didn't realise how small.

Drives the Z1R using the balanced output, at around 25-30 volume. Think there is 60?

Sounds is OK. Its better than the phone, but its not full size amp killer. Everything is a touch smoother and lacks the extra punch.

But price, size, usability - Pretty cool so far.

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2020 at 11:47 AM, sly_bastard said:

I was thinking of getting the Sony as well but the sales are meh ATM. I think a2a are advertising a sale but couldn't really see anything on sale past what they normally do.

I tried the Sony507,  the M11, M11pro and AK240 back to back blind at A2A last week and the Sony was the first to be crossed off the list... didnt like anything about it which was dissapointing because I actually went in to buy the Sony. I ended up buying the M11... and it wasnt about the money... as per posts above its hard to beat features and sound wise, even before you factor in price. AK240 was nicer... but at 3 times the price, is a game of diminishing returns for me.  IbassoDX220 I havent heard but almost every review I've watched while researching has the M11/pro hands down the better device.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, james383 said:

I tried the Sony507,  the M11

I got the Sony 507 now, had the m11 and sold it. There wasn't much in it overall but the 507 handles some music better for my taste. The M11 was lacking in a few departments. Also native play store, smaller and better button layout on the Sony. Negatives are battery and a little initial lag when looking at sd card.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was about to pull the trigger on a Fiio 11 pro but I noticed they posted on the head fi forum detailing newer models that are due to be released next year. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio’s-next-plan-for-players.948053/

I also noticed something about Google blocking updates to the software.

"I need to know if my Fiio M11 Pro will be supported for at least 2 years, I just got one and it is still stuck with old version of Android?
The version of Android will not update due to a Google-side decision which excludes a bunch of devices from getting later versions. This is well covered in threads dedicated to the M11 in its various guises. Check out those threads for more information. However, in terms of support, Fiio has an excellent track record of continuing bug-fixes and feature additions for many years after product launch".

Are these reasons to hold off or would I be safe making a purchase knowing it will be useful in years to come? I primarily want to use it for Tidal and Roon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/03/2020 at 11:08 AM, sly_bastard said:

I got the Sony 507 now, had the m11 and sold it. There wasn't much in it overall but the 507 handles some music better for my taste. The M11 was lacking in a few departments. Also native play store, smaller and better button layout on the Sony. Negatives are battery and a little initial lag when looking at sd card.

What sort of battery life are you getting out of a full charge on the 507? 

On 26/01/2020 at 12:39 PM, Bengineer said:

It'll either be M11 Pro or new Sony ZX507. Haven't decided.

I have the M11 Pro and love it.   Started at the bottom of the Fiio product range and just kept going up each time one appeared for sale on SNA.

Without wanting to dis or put Mojo owners/sellers offside (I use to own one) just beware of the battery life issue.   With the proprietary battery design it costs a small fortune to replace with an authentic version.  

Battery lifespan in the mojo needs to be googled if you are seriously considering buying one.    The M11 Pro has more than enough grunt unless you are wanting to drive 250 ohm cans.

I have found the battery life in the M11 Pro to be excellent even running in DSD mode.

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • 2 weeks later...

Okk ..didnt realise the thread date until.

---Deleted comment---

Edited by peppy