Sign in to follow this  
sly_bastard

Which DAP Sony wm1a, fiio M11 pro or ibasso dx220

So the Lurker Firmware is something you load on to override the stock? And playstore works flawlessly?

What Amp is the best to get? Recall seeing a tube one too!

Yeah - see details here;

https://github.com/Lurker00/DX220-Firmware-Add-on

There is a number of amps available. Depends on what headphone/IEM you are going to be using. I don't know what you have.

The AMP9 is the KORG nutube amp.

http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=8744#page1

Minidisc have a sale atm. 10% off.

Edited by oldf%$ker

Likely Don't Z1R then maybe Aeon 2 Closed. Both warm headphones, easy enough to drive.

I'd go the high voltage swing balanced amp8 assuming of course you have balanced cables. The Z1R comes with them I think. Not sure about the Aeon 2 closed.

http://www.ibasso.com/cp_xq_dy.php?id=6958#page2

You can never have too much power.

As for standard amp1 MKII on high gain might be ok but I'm not sure. Anyways, if you go with some IEM's down the track you will always have it. That's the beauty of this DAP. 

Cheers.

Edited by oldf%$ker

On 27/01/2020 at 11:29 AM, oldf%$ker said:

I'd be going DX220.

On 26/01/2020 at 11:17 AM, digitalhome said:

I have owned the DX220 ( so;d it due to poor battery life and a slow menu system)

This was my main issue about not getting the ibasso and it doesn't have a 4.4mm connection as well as some other issues I seen go around. I ordered the Sony zx507 on the weekend so will compare it to the m11 and see which I'll keep.

10 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

This was my main issue about not getting the ibasso and it doesn't have a 4.4mm connection as well as some other issues I seen go around. I ordered the Sony zx507 on the weekend so will compare it to the m11 and see which I'll keep.

Awesome.

Let me know how it goes.

What headphones you driving with it?

42 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

What headphones you driving with it?

My daily is Sony ier m9 but also have some Sony ier z1r. Also have done Sennheiser hd820 I will probably test on both the DAPs.  

Yes please!

I'm tossing up between a M11, ZX507 or like a BTR5 and use the phone for cheap.

Dunno!

On 28/01/2020 at 4:10 PM, Bengineer said:

Yes please!

I'm tossing up between a M11, ZX507 or like a BTR5 and use the phone for cheap.

Hmm ok listened to the Sony a little and it's quite nice but is it leaps ahead of the fiio m11 standard edition... Not really but still a little ahead though as expected for almost twice the price but it still loses in certain categories. The sound quality is better, treble is not as harsh, the bass a of a bit more resolving, I would say a little less airy and slightly better soundstage on my daily headphones and maybe on the Sony ier Z1R but maybe not as noticeable. Question is, is it worth the extra from a sound point yes if that's the sound signature you want.

Now the issues, to get a decent volume I'm at 85/100 at high gain so not much left and battery drain seems to be quite is mean so far but need to update Android still. The fiio on the other hand high gain I'm at 65/140 I think and battery is 10 hours. The form factor is a plus but obviously is directly related to the above issues, I think it could have done with a smidge more battery overall/power. It also gets physically warm, so the the fiio but less often and less noticeable overall. 

Tired the z1r and definitely a touch better on the zx507 but depending on your preference could go either way. Volume on both daps was less due to better headphone efficiency. This is also without any burn in on the Sony zx507 expect it to get better. But the z1rs are interesting as sometimes though as hard to get a proper seal so hard to compare apples to apples.

If you like the Sony sound it will probably be your choice and the form factor is amazing. The fiio needs more bassy headphones to sound better. It's like a a Sennheiser amp very analytical and if you have the headphones to counter it is quite nice overall. The Sony is amazing on many levels and I would expect can work better with more headphones types overall. Not only in general but also as has system EQ so can counter a bad headphone in Tidal even which maybe a more difficult feat in the Fiio.  Also the Fiio app EQ seemed less effective to me overall.

On another topic the only reason I would worry about the btr5 is power unless you only plan to use it with iems and I assume it has a very Fiio sound so maybe less likeable overall.

TLDR: The Sony is better but not by much dependent what you want in terms of usability and sound quality which makes the price difference dependent on your own needs. The Fiio also comes with a case and screen protector out of box which says a lot as Sony expects you to get your own which increases costs.  Also the Sony is lacking power so I would recommend IEM only or low power headphones like the Sony MDR Z1R, the Fiio can go a little higher to mid range power headphones. In the end both are great players.

IMG_20200129_202705.jpg

IMG_20200129_203125.jpg

Edited by sly_bastard

Awesome. Thanks.

I have a BTR5 coming, figured give it a go, it's cheap. Will run 4.4mm Balanced and see how it does. LDAC phone to it.

On 29/01/2020 at 10:38 PM, Bengineer said:

Awesome. Thanks.

I have a BTR5 coming, figured give it a go, it's cheap. Will run 4.4mm Balanced and see how it does. LDAC phone to it.

Let us know how it is. I tried the bt ldac thing and I found it a little flatter sound wise with the m11 but the btr5 might be different. Looking at is specs it lists 240mw max which I assumed was 120mw per channel which isn't terrible but won't power or hungry cans as such.

With regard to the m11 v zx507 on default more listening has given some interesting results. I generally like the Sony better but there are songs/genres which I prefer the M11. The Sony is average with male vocals especially with some bad behind it, I would put the equal on female vocals for different reasons. Songs from artists like kygo or rage against the machine seem to sound better on the m11 but generally the Sony is warmer and typically slightly more enjoyable to listen to.

Edited by sly_bastard

15 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

Let us know how it is. I tried the bt ldac thing and I found it a little flatter sound wise with the m11 but the btr5 might be different. Looking at is specs it lists 240mw max which I assumed was 120mw per channel which isn't terrible but won't power or hungry cans as such.

I bought a BTR5 to run Tin P1s balanced, which it does well. It does a slightly subpar job trying to run my more difficult Aeon Flow Open

On 29/01/2020 at 11:08 PM, Bengineer said:

You probably know this, but you'll need a 2.5mm-4.4mm converter then.

Nothing worse than a new toy arriving and not having the right connector!

Yeah, adapter coming with it. It's rated at like 200-250mw per channel in balanced isn't it? Should be plenty, see how it fairs though. Z1R is easy to drive.

39 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Yeah, adapter coming with it. It's rated at like 200-250mw per channel in balanced isn't it? Should be plenty, see how it fairs though. Z1R is easy to drive.

Fiio list total mw for device so max 240 in total for both channels. 120mw power per channel.

38 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

Fiio list total mw for device so max 240 in total for both channels. 120mw power per channel.

220mw total in balanced mode, but close enough

On 27/01/2020 at 12:29 PM, oldf%$ker said:

I'd be going DX220. Interchangeable amps + lurker firmware which improves battery life, GUI performance and adds Google Playstore. It also comes with a decent leather case and the support from iBasso is very good and unlike FIIO won't be replaced by a "superior" model 5 minutes after you buy it!!

Can be had for 1299.00 here in AU.

I'll be buying one myself very soon.

If be interested to see a video of how much the lurker firmware improves GUI performance, that was my main issue with picking one up to try out Korg's nutubes in the Amp 9...

8 hours ago, commawaffle said:

If be interested to see a video of how much the lurker firmware improves GUI performance, that was my main issue with picking one up to try out Korg's nutubes in the Amp 9...

Here is a video showing UI performance stock. Not sure which iBasso firmware though. There would have been numerous updates since  April 2019. Could not find a video showing performance with the Lurker firmware.

Just got the BTR5.

It's *tiny*. Didn't realise how small.

Drives the Z1R using the balanced output, at around 25-30 volume. Think there is 60?

Sounds is OK. Its better than the phone, but its not full size amp killer. Everything is a touch smoother and lacks the extra punch.

But price, size, usability - Pretty cool so far.

On 26/01/2020 at 11:47 AM, sly_bastard said:

I was thinking of getting the Sony as well but the sales are meh ATM. I think a2a are advertising a sale but couldn't really see anything on sale past what they normally do.

I tried the Sony507,  the M11, M11pro and AK240 back to back blind at A2A last week and the Sony was the first to be crossed off the list... didnt like anything about it which was dissapointing because I actually went in to buy the Sony. I ended up buying the M11... and it wasnt about the money... as per posts above its hard to beat features and sound wise, even before you factor in price. AK240 was nicer... but at 3 times the price, is a game of diminishing returns for me.  IbassoDX220 I havent heard but almost every review I've watched while researching has the M11/pro hands down the better device.

13 hours ago, james383 said:

I tried the Sony507,  the M11

I got the Sony 507 now, had the m11 and sold it. There wasn't much in it overall but the 507 handles some music better for my taste. The M11 was lacking in a few departments. Also native play store, smaller and better button layout on the Sony. Negatives are battery and a little initial lag when looking at sd card.