Jump to content

sly_bastard

Which DAP Sony wm1a, fiio M11 pro or ibasso dx220

Recommended Posts

Just bought the Sony ier m7 for the trip to work to replace my Sennheiser momentum true free. Which DAP do people recommend or is there a better option like the chord mojo? I like the Sony but I know it's the last powerful and most expensive with no streaming options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like you said, the WM1A doesn't have streaming so if that's important to you, take it out of the running. I have a ZX300 and I'll be selling it as for me, the convenience of Spotify is starting to take over as life gets busier. I'd personally take the M11 out of those two options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, zenkijin said:

heard ibasso dx220 is pretty badass

yeah heard that except the battery it's meant to be really good, it make decent power so sounds better but battery takes a huge hit.  Was thinking AK but really want 4.4mm balanced so probably get the M11 pro unless the Sony drops for black friday sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


17 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

LGV30 

Not my cup of tea, good for what it is but not interested in the lg ecosystem for a phone and it's underpowered for what I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having heard a lot from the FiiO M11 and really enjoying it, I'm sure the M11 Pro would certinaly work for you. Have you had a chance to listen to the M11 (not pro)? Might be a good option too.

Looking at the iBasso, it looks like there's a Korg NuTube amp module attachment which I'd love to try out. If you like tubes, maybe that's a consideration?

Edited by commawaffle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, commawaffle said:

Having heard a lot from the FiiO M11 and really enjoying it, I'm sure the M11 Pro would certinaly work for you. Have you had a chance to listen to the M11 (not pro)? Might be a good option too.
 

I bought the M11 none Pro.  Speaking to A2A they advised was not much difference based on the headphones I would use.  Also the none pro version is more powerful and has 2 SD card slots while being cheaper.  Money towards my next headphones/DAC.  Really like the M11, very detailed have compared to a Sony portable amp PHA2 very different. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah really. Minidisc said the M11 Pro was a decent step up.

 

Hmm. M11 (non pro) is a good amount cheaper too.

 

I'm looking at one soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Fiio M15 and the Sony new Android Walkman the Z507 are meant to be available soon as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, expensive that M15! Be $2k AUD.

 

M11 is like $600. M11 Pro $999.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Bengineer said:

Ah really. Minidisc said the M11 Pro was a decent step up.

 

Hmm. M11 (non pro) is a good amount cheaper too.

 

I'm looking at one soon.

The Pro only has the advantage of the THX, the M11 normal already has a low sound floor anyway.  Unless you using super headphones like the Andromeda it probably not needed to spend the extra money.  The pro have a lower floor due to less power. 

 

39 minutes ago, rx79ez08 said:

The Fiio M15 and the Sony new Android Walkman the Z507 are meant to be available soon as well.

The Sony is out and it's like $1200 and the M15 will be out soon and likely to be over $1500 depending on currency, can preorder for like $1500 american already.  When you compare both against the M11 normal at under $700 it makes it look like a bargain.

 

Beat me to it Bengineer.

 

Although the biggest advantage with the Sony you have proper access to the store which I dont need but would like, don't know if the m15 will have it, someone else can advise. 

Edited by sly_bastard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

The Sony is out and it's like $1200 and the M15 will be out soon and likely to be over $1500 depending on currency, can preorder for like $1500 american already.  When you compare both against the M11 normal at under $700 it makes it look like a bargain.

 

Is the Z507 in country already. I know they are out in other territories. Last time I talked to A2A they said late January, so I assume they are not available yet.

 

I am a big fan of Sony's stuff and have been using a WM1A since it came out. Really looking forward to the new player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rx79ez08 said:

Is the Z507 in country already. I know they are out in other territories. Last time I talked to A2A they said late January, so I assume they are not available yet.

 

I am a big fan of Sony's stuff and have been using a WM1A since it came out. Really looking forward to the new player.

Both A2A and Minidisc have pre-order but Sony Australia have it for sale https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M11 Pro has the better DAC chips in it, but rest seems mostly same same.

 

So the Sony ZX500, is called the 507B here (?), runs some sort of Android with Play Store?

 

Might look into it too. Though M11 price is tempting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

M11 Pro has the better DAC chips in it, but rest seems mostly same same.

 

So the Sony ZX500, is called the 507B here (?), runs some sort of Android with Play Store?

 

Might look into it too. Though M11 price is tempting.

I think the only model within the ZX500 series is the 507. Sony usually uses the last digit in the model number to differentiate the storage size. I think the B after will probably be the colour, although I haven't heard the 507 with different colour.

 

Both the ZX500 and the A100 series come with full Android with Google Service, which means Play Store, Netflix, Tidal etc. i.e. no need to side load apps. But I think only the official playback app have full access to all resolutions (i.e. other player like Poweramp might down sample to 44 kHz, etc). I have seen Tidal running in the A100 on demo in A2A Melbourne, which probably is just as well as it only has 16 GB internal memory. Both models take MicroSD though.

 

I happen to really like the Sony's implementation of 4.4mm balanced output in the WM1A, so I am looking forward to the ZX507.

 

18 minutes ago, sly_bastard said:

Both A2A and Minidisc have pre-order but Sony Australia have it for sale https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/walkman/nw-zx500-series

I saw the listing on Sony Australia's website, just don't know if they actually have stock. A2A is generally pretty quick with Sony's stuff, so I was thinking either the first shipment have sold out or it is not in country yet if it is still pre-order on their website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder how the 500 compares to the WM1A, given they basically same price now.

 

I have the Z1R at the moment, will be using the 4.4mm balanced from it.

 

Edit: So the Sony can play Netflix videos? Haven't really thought about that part much, many DAPs do that?

 

 

Edited by Bengineer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rx79ez08

 

You happen to know if the Sony players have a channel balance setting? I.e Can shift the left channel up 1db for example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

@rx79ez08

 

You happen to know if the Sony players have a channel balance setting? I.e Can shift the left channel up 1db for example?

There is a left\right balance adjustment menu. Up to 3 db in 0.5 db increment. Don't know how well it works though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have owned the DX220 ( so;d it due to poor battery life and a slow menu system) and then purchased a M11. I returned the M11 as it sounded to thin for my tastes. I now have a M11 Pro and it sounds more meaty than the M11, battery life is in-line with others (bar the sony) and the menu system is fast, streaming works well and no wifi / bluetooth issues to date ( unlike Ibasso).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll either be M11 Pro or new Sony ZX507. Haven't decided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

It'll either be M11 Pro or new Sony ZX507. Haven't decided.

I was thinking of getting the Sony as well but the sales are meh ATM. I think a2a are advertising a sale but couldn't really see anything on sale past what they normally do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sly_bastard said:

I was thinking of getting the Sony as well but the sales are meh ATM. I think a2a are advertising a sale but couldn't really see anything on sale past what they normally do.

Basically. 10% off with Minidisc. Still $1080 though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be going DX220. Interchangeable amps + lurker firmware which improves battery life, GUI performance and adds Google Playstore. It also comes with a decent leather case and the support from iBasso is very good and unlike FIIO won't be replaced by a "superior" model 5 minutes after you buy it!!

 

Can be had for 1299.00 here in AU.

 

I'll be buying one myself very soon.

Edited by oldf%$ker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Classifieds Statistics


    Currently Active Ads

    Total Sales (Since 2018)

    Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

    Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...