blybo

Upgrading Jayco caravan Fusion AV system

We are very fortunate to be picking up a 2nd hand 2016 Jayco Expanda this afternoon which has a basic Fusion head unit and speakers (inside and out) which can also take what I assume is a RCA out put from the 12v TV/DVD player. I only own kids movies on DVD these days and we stay at sites with 240v so I'll be ditching this crappy TV and take my 32" Samsung and an Apple TV + a portable HDD or my phone for music files.

I'm sure this all sounds like complete crap and I do use a Bose Mini II for sounds when I travel but I'd like to upgrade this system so as to not need the Bose. We want our van to be minimalist for setup so we can utilise it at a moments notice. Are there any quality marine grade speaker brands to look for? Also looking for a replacement headunit that will output to HDMI without having it's own double DIN screen like most in car AV installations?

Edited by blybo

There are a few nice threads on speakers, but I suppose it’s down to size and use.  I would imagine low vol quality is the goal (hopefully won’t be blasting music at campsites!).  I wonder if one can purchase one of those “silent disco” kind of setups where everyone has headphones doing the same thing?  That’d be great for evenings in a van at any vol you want! Hmmm....

20 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

There are a few nice threads on speakers, but I suppose it’s down to size and use.  I would imagine low vol quality is the goal (hopefully won’t be blasting music at campsites!).  I wonder if one can purchase one of those “silent disco” kind of setups where everyone has headphones doing the same thing?  That’d be great for evenings in a van at any vol you want! Hmmm....

I have Krix Tropix outdoor speakers at home which are great but they aren't flush mount like the van has. It won't be loud, that's for sure, unless we are going off grid and no neighbours. As there are already out door speakers installed on the van I'd look to up grade the co-axial drivers and keep the existing grills so as not to draw attention. Perhaps put  dynamat cones behind to minimise sound transfer inside. I assume they will be to be marine style as exposed to weather when travelling or not set up with the awning out.

Edited by blybo

Why not use car audio speakers if they are internal.  You can get some decent ones for not much money

Personally I would just get a quality BT speaker that has Airplay and use that where ever you want - Sonos Move or one of the many others B7) have some good ones ( thats my camping option)

If your using 240 all the time a Home Pod might even be an option if your using the Apple ecosystem 

18 hours ago, Chill3 said:

Personally I would just get a quality BT speaker that has Airplay and use that where ever you want - Sonos Move or one of the many others B7) have some good ones ( thats my camping option)

I've got a Bose Soundlink Mini II already, but that's not going to help with the TV and I'm trying to minimise the inventory list of things to bring with us. I camp thru the Boxing Day test and Easter so want to watch cricket or footy at times apart from music.

Not an easy solution,when camping the noise really travels particularly at night.My camper has canvas walls

for me i used headphones or decent PC speakers up close,at least i had no complaints.

Quality... I’m heading to my local car stereo installers to get a nice bang for buck 6x9 coaxial for inside. The outside ones aren’t terrible but I’ll probably replace those too. I’ll use the head unit a bit more before deciding on whether I replace it. 

8123BE10-72E1-4B48-8BDC-FB4FD6EAF11A.jpeg

4FAB8DA8-A3A5-4D62-A0E9-DDD12FBAA533.jpeg

On 22/11/2019 at 4:52 PM, Rich59 said:

Not an easy solution,when camping the noise really travels particularly at night.My camper has canvas walls

for me i used headphones or decent PC speakers up close,at least i had no complaints.

I'll use headphones once the kids go to bed if it's just me listening to music, but watching the footy with my wife is a different proposition, better to have speakers at my knees in the dinette rather than the other side of the van. We are very wary of not playing music too loud even during the day, maybe New Years Eve being the exception :thumbsup: