Pops110

Audio Physic Owners & Discussion Thread

Thought I may as well start something up for owners or people looking for info.

At this point in time I really couldn’t wish for any more, the older Classic 20’s that I have tick all the boxes. 

Deep low bass, pin point imaging and very wide soundstage. I have been listening to a lot of electronic lately and also getting back into some metal again. They are ticking all the boxes.

They do need a bit of power behind them to sound their best, currently I’m running a MF A5cr, 400 watts into 4ohms, with a valve pre and the combination is very good.

D335807D-80C6-4146-9EBE-5A77AEA039B9.thumb.jpeg.3d7fdd4ca708a82daf1b8d1cb6e5a2e0.jpeg2668AB59-A55B-46F0-9D49-07765A4D4687.thumb.jpeg.424e86778c7f1b012a914fd12c82274d.jpeg9084A787-36B5-4B32-89DF-629EB9672E2A.thumb.jpeg.db6edd2a6fa5558a546a48ef7a9d2491.jpeg372A3521-6239-4E8C-B925-45223D65D6F2.thumb.jpeg.7b1ce1852834732cd83e3d210f0ac487.jpeg32B96D19-1E89-4172-B341-883DC5933F6F.thumb.jpeg.9cff694306b8f817a5fb4b704c88ce78.jpeg13ECF341-857C-4EA1-959B-274BA3E8EC65.thumb.jpeg.924141102f3c21bd4197b3320c49251f.jpeg

BC0A63E7-F615-419D-A949-5DABD44EAE0E.jpeg

Always wanted to listen to a pair of properly set up Audio Physic speakers. Unfortunately the stores in Sydney was never able to show me what APs are capable of. Sign...

@steven365 That’s a shame mate. Very nice sounding speakers, I see your looking for some virgos. What was your price range and are there any other models you were considering?

Edited by Pops110

@Pops110 yes, I’ve been looking for a pair of Virgo 2 for quite a while. Currently there’s a pair of Virgo 2 listed on US Ebay with a reasonable price tag but the shipping is too much... I guess I’m looking at under $4K used. I’m open to other models as long as they can do the Virgo 2 magic equally or even better. 

Would be great if any AP owner in Sydney can kindly invite me to have a listen to you AP speakers.  

I’ve heard wonderful things about AP speakers when properly set up but never had the chance to experience the 3-D imaging that AP owners rave about. 

I have the Audio Physic Classic 30s. They don't have the external side woofers but I think port internally and then out through the bottom. They sound phenomenal. I have matched them with a Primaluna Prologue Premium pre-amp and, like someone else here, a Musical Fidelity A5Cr power amp. These with a Gieseler Klein III DAC with Kraftwerk PSU combine to make a wonderful sound.

I have not bothered to hook up a sub as they supply plenty of bass. Due to room restrictions, I have not been able to play around with placement. That said, they disappear and project a huge sound-space. I love them with classical, electronic, pop, brass bands and acoustic. They give me the "right-there" feeling, especially with vocalists. They can track a bassline and get you dancing, as well as being able to pinpoint instruments (and musicians). And don't get me started on the new Bladerunner soundtrack: it is beyond impressive.

I had a couple of friends over who were not easily impressed. The look on their faces when the music started playing was great. One of them said, "I wouldn't go out if I had these." 

1 hour ago, bjs said:

I have the Audio Physic Classic 30s. They don't have the external side woofers but I think port internally and then out through the bottom. They sound phenomenal. I have matched them with a Primaluna Prologue Premium pre-amp and, like someone else here, a Musical Fidelity A5Cr power amp. These with a Gieseler Klein III DAC with Kraftwerk PSU combine to make a wonderful sound.

I have not bothered to hook up a sub as they supply plenty of bass. Due to room restrictions, I have not been able to play around with placement. That said, they disappear and project a huge sound-space. I love them with classical, electronic, pop, brass bands and acoustic. They give me the "right-there" feeling, especially with vocalists. They can track a bassline and get you dancing, as well as being able to pinpoint instruments (and musicians). And don't get me started on the new Bladerunner soundtrack: it is beyond impressive.

I had a couple of friends over who were not easily impressed. The look on their faces when the music started playing was great. One of them said, "I wouldn't go out if I had these." 

That’s great mate, glad you’re happy with them and the new amps.

I had a mate around on the weekend and sat him down and put on the new Tool album. He sat there with a stupid smile on his face and said “I’ve got sore eyes trying to follow the music “ 😂

On 01/12/2019 at 5:15 PM, steven365 said:

@Pops110 yes, I’ve been looking for a pair of Virgo 2 for quite a while. Currently there’s a pair of Virgo 2 listed on US Ebay with a reasonable price tag but the shipping is too much... I guess I’m looking at under $4K used. I’m open to other models as long as they can do the Virgo 2 magic equally or even better. 

The Virgo 2s definitely sound like they are the goods going by the reviews.

They would be getting on a little bit now though I think, I wonder if the newer Classic line would be around the same sound quality wise? The Virgo were higher up the food chain but maybe the trickle down tech might have made its way into the Classics?

I will keep my eye out for you.

4 hours ago, Pops110 said:

The Virgo 2s definitely sound like they are the goods going by the reviews.

They would be getting on a little bit now though I think, I wonder if the newer Classic line would be around the same sound quality wise? The Virgo were higher up the food chain but maybe the trickle down tech might have made its way into the Classics?

I will keep my eye out for you.

Thanks mate. Appreciate your help.

1 hour ago, steven365 said:

Thanks mate. Appreciate your help.

Loki65/Dave here in Perth had a pair of Virgos for sale for a good price a couple of years back, he might still have them? He hasn’t posted on StereoNET for a while though.

Steve.