Why can't they make great sounding Picture Discs?

G'day Folks.

In response to a comment by @awayward, I thought I would ask if anyone knows the answer.

If they can deliver quality sound on a coloured disc (not that all sound good), or even a laser etched disc (which popped up recently on SNA), why can't they add a picture?  Surely they have new technology available.

I would buy every album on picture disc if it matched the quality of any other.  I'm sure many others would too.  Someone could become rather wealthy if they could develop it.

Cheers.

Ant.

Edit - Are there any examples of great sounding Picture Discs???

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

Hey @rantan & @Tubularbells, could you please list or show your best examples?

I have a Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' original picture disc, sound is O.K., but it's very crackly, so much that I never play it.

I have two by System of a Down, which I'm about to check out on the new set up, and one by Nile, which I will also have another listen to.

Cheers.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

6 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey @rantan & @Tubularbells, could you please list or show your best examples?

I have a Maiden's 'Number of the Beast' original picture disc, sound is O.K., but it's very crackly, so much that I never play it.

I have two by System of a Down, which I'm about to check out on the new set up, and one by Nile, which I will also have another listen to.

Cheers.

Danzig- Deth Red Sabaoth

As quiet on both sides  and sounds as good as my black pressed vinyl edition

20191119_192237.thumb.jpg.30e1f5a594b115c5b39928668ddc1da0.jpg20191119_192323.thumb.jpg.23415578c4f50dcb12ddda6dd7ae3ec6.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

@Tubularbells  Dear oh dear mate... is that the Spice Girls on your wall???

So hears a bit of a tidbit for you all....its the cast of the female leads for the  1970 film The Vampire Lovers. I confess I have a soft spot for all things Ingrid Pitt (lead actress) and was a bit of a horror memorabilia collector many years ago. Got a ton of good stuff in storage I must revisit one day.

• Like 1

The only picture disc I have is one that Mrs Esquire brought from germany last year. Sly & Robbie - "Blackwood Dub" .. Noise floor is noticeably high, the 'volume' is noticeably low, and the mix is paper thin.. Pretty much unplayable, classic example of a RSO (record shaped object). Admittedly I've never heard this album in any other format but I can't imagine these guys who've been playing and producing music for so long wanted it to sound this way.

And the picture isn't even interesting lol
R-3398947-1328885347.jpeg.jpg

R-3398947-1330688830.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SkipEsquire said:

but you can see why it's gonna have problems compared to a regular record.

Thanks Skip.  Posted off the cuff without checking youtube.  Never knew the process for this, and no bloody wonder they sound thin and terrible.

Surely it's time for a new method, computer technology and new materials, 3d printing and what not.

• Like 1