Just introducing myself

Just saw that I need to post  before I can advertise and even though I have posted once before it seems to have forgotten me...

So here we go, I am in Melbourne, used to be involved in audio sales/service, used to always prefer Naim amplification (not so sure any more), and visited the Naim & Linn factories in 1979 (hence my user name).

My favorite Store in Melbourne is CAV and in Sydney is Castle Hill hifi where I find Goran possibly the best HIFI person I have ever dealt with.

I am very fussy about what I like in sound but it's not at all linked to'faithful & accurate' reproduction whatever that is. I love my sound lively & dynamic but not tiring.

I currently have a NAIM supernait 1 which I prefer to 2 & 3 on my current system.

I have a NAIM ndx streamer DAC but I use my Marantz SA14se CD/DAC as my DAC as I prefer it on my current system. hats off to Rab at CAV for having the patience to get me to the stage where I picked that and I am really happy with it.

I recently purchased one of Gary Cawsey's better power filters and even though his stuff seems to be out of favour these days at around $800 I found it worked great in my system and was much better value than the more currently fashionable products.

Speakers wise I for years had some JBL/LE8t custom speakers from my former place of employ which I greatly improved via a number of ways including getting the somewhat legendary Doug Tipping to custom make me a new X-over a few years ago which really livened up the sound.

Nonetheless after 39 years faithful service I finally moved them on to a happy new owner and purchased a pair of Spendor A9's second hand. These did enough for me to finally decide on a new pair of Spendor D9.2 which I am waiting on and hope will deliver what I want. The A9's are what I wish to sell.

Oh and I also have a NAIM Superuniti in my office which I love driving an old pair of Boston A40's

Cheers!

• Like 3

Thank you David. I don't know about you but I go a long way back to when there were only 7 Naim products - 3 preamps, 3 poweramps and a very tiny external power supply for the NAP250. Boy did they ever develop that over the years.
Now it's an unbelieveble plethora....

@Salisbury 79

Good evening - I was thinking for a moment that you may be from Adelaide (where I lived) as there is a suburb called Salisbury.

Anyway

Welcome to the forum!

I have to confess that I have never heard Naim or Spendor - my bad.

Hope you enjoy your journey here.

Please stay and contribute - we do need need people that have been in the industry to give there views.

• Like 1

Yes, their range seems bafflingly large and staggeringly  expensive these days.

I got into Naim in the early 90s...from memory a NAC62, NAP90 and a CD3. There might also have been a Flat Cap? Demos were done in Graham's Hi-Fi, London and certainly produced a more engaging sound than Linn or Creek comparisons.

Later upgraded the power to a NAP180. When working away from home I bought 2nd hand a NAC32.5 and a HiCAP to go with the 'spare' NAP90. 

Life changes meant I ended up with the gear in my sig block, including some severely-induced retail therapy ? when I should have prioritised elsewhere.

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1

Thanks Jventer, no Salisbury 79 refers to the year I visited the Naim factory in Salisbury England which is a great memory for lots of reasons. It's my view that Naim amps changed the whole genuine Hifi /musical sound reproduction world. There was a little amp called the NAIT which was 8w rms per channle and which wiped the floor with most amps  at the time.
SPendor was a different company then, The brand name continues but the new speakers are a very different beast although obviously I still think they are good:)
The problem now is that there are so many brands & models chasing a not very large enthusiast market that may good products are not easily found much less listened to.

Cheers

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Salisbury 79 said:

Thanks Jventer, no Salisbury 79 refers to the year I visited the Naim factory in Salisbury England which is a great memory for lots of reasons. It's my view that Naim amps changed the whole genuine Hifi /musical sound reproduction world. There was a little amp called the NAIT which was 8w rms per channle and which wiped the floor with most amps  at the time.
SPendor was a different company then, The brand name continues but the new speakers are a very different beast although obviously I still think they are good:)
The problem now is that there are so many brands & models chasing a not very large enthusiast market that may good products are not easily found much less listened to.

Cheers

I was born in 65 - looks like you are a bit older than me :). Guess the older we get the wiser we get.

I attended a HiFi show in Melbourne in 2010, which resulted in me spending lots of money on my current system.

Anyway, based on your posts I am quite excited to have you here as it looks like you know your stuff!

Thanks for joining and looking forward to your contributions. (Forewarned: there is a lot of banter here - ha ha, don't take it seriously)

• Like 1

thanks Jventer and yes I am a little older. As for knowing my stuff, I may have some experiences that others havnen't  but I am firmly in the camp that the best equipment for you is what produces the sound you like irrespective of what the 'experts' say.

The rest other than features you might really need is marketing, sales pitch, &  white noise....

• Like 3