blybo

Disney Plus

So Disney Plus went live this morning in Oz. I've already signed up for a free trial and looking forward to watching The Mandalorian tonight.

Who else is keen?

WWW.DISNEY.COM.AU

Get a first look at the all-new live-action The Mandalorian streaming now on Disney+ in Australia & New Zealand.

Signed up and looking forward to the same.  Apparently the bitrate for both audio and video is the highest of any VOD service, as reported by U.S. residents...hopefully our server replication in ASPAC offers the same quality of delivery.

Disappointed, however the the Lion King remake may not make it to the service until next year, despite being released on other platforms and in disc format already.

Having young girls 8 & 10, I can see a lot here they will love and that we can also watch together. Pixar, Star Wars, National Geo. Just in the couple of minutes it took to download the app I saw several things I want to watch but haven't caught up with yet.

Anyone know what the audio output from Disney app will be on Apple TV or Android TV (eg NVIDIA Shield)?

Had heard some streaming apps eg Amazon Prime is only 5.1 output on the Apple TV for example.

Edited by obitankenobi

I joined tonight and will stop Stan soon. I can see Stan losing out a bit with Disney’s content.

@obitankenobi I started one show up and it said HDR and Dolby Atmos. Which is good.

Need to be careful with audio/video support.  I believe you will only get atmos if also capable of displaying 4K picture.

my gen4 atv only shows HD/5.1 where my 4K atv shows 4K/HDR/atmos for certain content.

btw the production values for Mandalorian are exceptional 😯

Did anyone else experience buffering issues last night?

My speed appeared to be ok, but had to turn off in frustration during the first episode of Mandalorian due to constant stopping to buffer.

11 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

btw the production values for Mandalorian are exceptional 😯

Excellent. I've been told I need to finish series 3 of Stranger Things first 😫. My wife doesn't like to have multiple series on the go.

24 minutes ago, thathifiguy said:

Did anyone else experience buffering issues last night?

I'd expect they were experiencing peak demand last night (locally) and struggling to cope.

11 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Stan and Netflix can be linked to Google home for automated playing of movies.   Can this be done with Disney?

Follow up question, does the Disney app have Chromecast ability at all?

1 hour ago, blybo said:

I'd expect they were experiencing peak demand last night (locally) and struggling to cope.

That's what I figured.

I've downloaded the first two episodes on my phone, so i'll give it another go tonight.

Defeated by technology again🙃

I can watch it on an iPad but this is as far as I get on the tv

any hints

F28DB571-4289-4361-9CCE-C13CC04ABA46.jpeg

yeah - click on "start 7-day free trial" with the cursor of your TV / streaming device remote 😆

Just now, Lil Caesar said:

yeah - click on "start 7-day free trial" with the cursor of your TV / streaming device remote 😆

Nothing happens

Im hopeless but not that hopeless🙃

oh dear sounds like you may need to try removing and re-installing the app, have had this happen several times on my LG TV when its "automatically" updated apps 🙄

Mmm... I thought the whole season of The Mandalorian is available, only 4 episodes so far... Now got to wait... 😴

52 minutes ago, MoveD said:

Mmm... I thought the whole season of The Mandalorian is available, only 4 episodes so far... Now got to wait... 😴

1 per week I believe. There were only 2 upon release in Oz. I haven't watched any yet due to the wife's requirement for us to finish Stranger Things (3 episodes to go)

Edited by blybo

Watched episode 1 last night, definitely episode 2 is there not sure anymore :)

52 minutes ago, blybo said:

1 per week I believe. There were only 2 upon release in Oz. I haven't watched any yet due to the wife's requirement for us to finish Stranger Things (3 episodes to go)

I have half watched series going on everywhere. Missus hates it.

looks like 4 episodes, watching episode 2 this evening. sadly no atmos on episode one or two... perhaps later episodes will have it. 

Haven't posted since the days of AVForum, but anyway, has anyone else watched Disney Pixar Cars on Disney+ and noticed it to be slower than normal and lots of empty quiet gaps that don't appear in the theatrical version?

I note my blu-ray copy says the movie lasts 111 minutes, but on disney+ it states 1hr 57 minutes. Even more confusing is that my 3D copy of Cars is 106 minutes.

Edit: Checked runtime on 3D copy and normal BD copy by putting them in my player and on screen the runtime is basically the same as for Disney+, the difference in playback speed was obvious, will double check rumtime on Disney+, may have to watch it at some point and time it from start to finish.

Edited by digitalj
new info

I had hopes for the mandalorian. 

got upto episode 4 then got busy with christmas etc...need to get back to it ....

re disney... I can tell you watching moana in 3D beats the streaming experience ...also i dont know if they have solved the atmos woes with disney but thats a massive miss as well. singed up till end of this year. not sure i will renew after that...

But they weren’t met 😉

I signed up for a free week's trial. Watched The Mandalorian. Cancelled the subscription. Ha. 

I liked it. Better than The Rise Of Skywalker in my opinion.

Disk my see anything else on there that I wanted to watch though.