speaker cable recomendation

Brad24

If buying new make sure you get to trial first,  if buying on SNA then do your pricing research and if it doesnt suit you can always resell at same or similar.  In the end if you dont hear a difference then there is no point in buying new cables no matter how good value, well recommended, well made from good quality materials and attractive they are.

For me they do make a difference and my recommendation is also Aurealis.  Geoff does allow trialling first. Not sure of the budget  but try the Litz, it is very good IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Goertz MI 2 Veracity. Or any Goertz you can find used cheap.

What length do you need?

Be careful with high bandwidth amplifiers and this cable as it is very high capacitance (for a cable.) It is also very high performing, but you must know if your amplifiers are high bandwidth and your speakers high impedance at high frequencies (i.e. contain no zobel network.)

11 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

Goertz MI 2 Veracity. Or any Goertz you can find used cheap.

Have used the Goertz previously as well as the Aurealis Litz and for me the Litz was an improvement @Gryffles if you havent tried the aurealis litz and you like the Goertz it is worth a shot. As mentioned, they will send a trial cable gratis if you are interested.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Be careful with high bandwidth amplifiers and this cable as it is very high capacitance (for a cable.) It is also very high performing, but you must know if your amplifiers are high bandwidth and your speakers high impedance at high frequencies (i.e. contain no zobel network.)

Yes, hence the question re length ?

14 minutes ago, frednork said:

Have used the Goertz previously as well as the Aurealis Litz and for me the Litz was an improvement @Gryffles if you havent tried the aurealis litz and you like the Goertz it is worth a shot. As mentioned, they will send a trial cable gratis if you are interested.

The Aurealis litz is a bit cold imo

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Ha, ha, fair enough, for me the soundstage , detail and smoothness of the aurealis was improved compared with the Goertz so just goes to show best to try before you buy:thumb:

Indeed mate - its all horses for courses :thumb:

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

Depends on the system balance, I tried the Silver Litz and was not cold at all in my system, but then I think he can do a Copper Litz or a hybrid using both silver and copper litz.

Whether he has those available for trial I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, Brad24 said:

Spoke to Geoff at Aurealis audio about a cable recomendation

He suggested Litz 303 @ $903 for 2.5 metre cables

He reckons he only has Litz 201 to loan at the moment

The 201 for $620 ( 2.5 metre pair ) will work superbly with your Luxman. I once owned a 507u and used it with this cable and it worked superbly. I am still using it with my 550 A II and wouldn't change it for anything.

$620 for alifetime purchase is damn good value. You won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rantan said:

The 201 for $620 ( 2.5 metre pair ) will work superbly with your Luxman. I once owned a 507u and used it with this cable and it worked superbly. I am still using it with my 550 A II and wouldn't change it for anything.

$620 for alifetime purchase is damn good value. You won't be disappointed.

thanks Lyndsay

1 hour ago, Brad24 said:

Spoke to Geoff at Aurealis audio about a cable recomendation

He suggested Litz 303 @ $903 for 2.5 metre cables

He reckons he only has Litz 201 to loan at the moment

The 201 will tell you whether you are on the right track or not. The cables share the same family sound and the 201 is still very good sounding. if its not a clear improvement on the Emotiva then post here for more suggestions.

• Like 1

I see that some of the suggestions here are reaching the $900+ mark.

I do think that good cables make a difference and that not all cables sound the same. I also think that some of the prices asked for ultra high end cables are ridiculous.

I researched speaker cables for my valve-based system and at 3m runs I was looking at a budget of around $1000 for the likes of Analysis Plus, or something well-made in Oz. I thought hard about very basic ('cheaper') copper cables. Then I found the recommendations online for Auditorium A23 cables (especially at 6 Moons)--and these have become my endgame cables. They are perfect for my system. $995 retail.

I was quite happy for many years with SYMO cables (a decade); Analysis Plus Oval 9 (copper-based cables) for 20 years, and now these A23 ones (3 years). I tried Nordost offerings but found them too analytic, generally speaking. Other 'cheaper' copper cables seemed somewhat 'dull' and not 'open' enough in my system. While I appreciate and recommend well-made cables like those from Audio Principe and Aurealis I like the overall sound from the A23s very much.

Just my own findings in a valve-based system

• Like 2

@Brad24 I've found that Speaker Cables vary in presentation depending what Power Amp I use. As suggested are you able to Bi-Wire, i.e use 2 Separate Cables, one to Bass, one to mid/treble? I've had good results using different brands in this configuration. Tried quite a few different Cables. Morrow SP-7, very good Bass. MS Audio OCC Long Crystal Copper, very good on Mid/treble.

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

This is 2N2 (2 in and 2 out each length) Speaker Cable. Upgraded to CMC U.S.A. high end banana connectors. Audiophile Grade...

The above Cables are excellent for very little money, very good if you need to smooth the Sound a bit. Also good for a Budget Cable are Cullen Cables from the States, very neutral.

• Like 2

The mod was right - cable wars just put people off and achieve nothing.

My advice to the OP is simple - before you shell out for anything research, start with basic science on just how electricity is conducted. Your interested in speaker cable receiving an amplified/ high power signal. This is different from an i/connect signal that is low power. 

You maybe someone that likes to take a DIY approach or the complete reverse, still I would rec. taking a look at TNT Audio, there you will find great articles on DIY and commercial cables. Beware of any commercial offering where they refuse to let you know just how the cables are made and boy there are plenty of these. They claim it is to stop competitors knowing how their cables are made - complete b/s. Any competitor can purchase an example, deconstruct it and find out exactly what the construction and materials are.

I have used a modified version of UBYTE 11 for over 15 years, now just for the craic I'm going to make a very simple cable, no exotic materials just applying basic science, it will be very easy to make and when I've trialled it I shall give my opinion. If your not a DIYer only use user reviews to look at commercial offerings. I will say that I can see no reason for shelling out for expensive cables - you pays your money and make your choice as always caveat emptor.

• Like 1

I think the Vermouth Audio Red Velvet is a really excellent sounding cable and is not too expensive.Some of their cheaper cable might also be very good but I have not tried them.

Other than that the $1 a metre solid core copper lighting cable from Bunnings is better than most so called audiophile stuff.

I have a friend who loves to buy cables and I get to try a lot of them.Some are good but many are not as good as the cheap solid core stuff and certainly much less neutral.

• Like 2

Thomo, couldn't agree more. Never liked Litz multi-strand wire for anything. Maybe one of the reasons the Kenwood KD/KP decks sound so good is that the Kenwood engineers chose solid core silver wire for their tonearm wire not sure if that wasn't unique then or now.

I bought a whole reel of sat. cable - 1.25mm solid core copper conductor held inside an air gapped plastic structure - so that the conductor was always exactly centred from  copper foil and copper mesh sheilding. I think I paid about 70p pm, that's the basis of the UBYTE 11 speaker cable.

I intend to strip out the centre conductor to make my new cables. Multi-strand copper is fine for power cables, they have only one function, to transfer electricity from point A to point B any interaction between the strands is irrelevant. A proper 100% shield is essential to stop any interference with weak signal/i/connect cables nearby - you pay your money and make your choice - -.

Blue 'monitor' cable

I bought this in bulk a few years ago, and it has seen off a few 'audiophile' cables in my various systems. It delivers a nicely balanced sound and I've enjoyed it with expensive setups.

Metallurgy (materials as well as design) and insulation distinguish high-end cables from the crowd, but in my (costly!) experience it's these very 'experiments' that mess with sound quality. 

Edited by was_a