Jump to content

Syrot

My Stereo / AV cabinet has become a MONSTER!

Recommended Posts

I am the only one afflicted with this problem???  All my good stuff is in the media room, and I use it both for Stereo listening and my Home theatre duties.

 

I did try and keep this well organised with cable ties, Velcro straps, cable covers but in the end gave up because every time I need to change something I have to unravel the lot then re-cable everything again.  Must be getting old and don't care much for moving 100s of kilos of gear just to make a change now days.

 

I think we need to petition the audio equipment manufactures stop the amount channels that is 'supposedly' required for  good surround sound immersion as well.    lol

 

Not sure what everyone does.. but I nearly turned to stone aiming the camera at the monster..

IMG_20191117_220121.jpg

IMG_20191117_220043.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, you have a serious case of cable-itis and may need an interconnect intervention with a dose of power-cord parsimony and ethernet eradication. It appears that no matter how lean it looks at the front a monster mess lies behind.  
 

Speaking of which, I admit to being regularly peeved viewing reputable audio brands advertising their wares with nary a cord, cable or interconnect to be seen.  You should contact them to see how they manage it and produce the great sounds and looks advertised. 

7D770EE0-17E1-4309-A446-99D16C09A33E.jpeg

5F440D59-8C0A-485E-AD9B-CDF59AF7CA35.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KRSDarwin said:

Yep, you have a serious case of cable-itis and may need an interconnect intervention with a dose of power-cord parsimony and ethernet eradication. It appears that no matter how lean it looks at the front a monster mess lies behind.  
 

Speaking of which, I admit to being regularly peeved viewing reputable audio brands advertising their wares with nary a cord, cable or interconnect to be seen.  You should contact them to see how they manage it and produce the great sounds and looks advertised. 

7D770EE0-17E1-4309-A446-99D16C09A33E.jpeg

5F440D59-8C0A-485E-AD9B-CDF59AF7CA35.jpeg

Ah, the Ying and Yang of cabling. uhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I've started to label the interconnects so they are easier to identify than stretching my neck to read the fine print on the back of the devices they are plugged into.  It doesn't make it any tidier, but it's a lot easier to find specific cables.

 

 

Edited by audiofeline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I've started to label the interconnects so they are easier to identify than stretching my neck to read the fine print on the back of the devices they are plugged into.  It doesn't make it any tidier, but it's a lot easier to find specific cables.

 

 

Excellent post. I agree.

 

Something like this is an excellent investment. I use this to label my cables at both ends. Makes things a lot easier. (Does not remove the "spaghetti :) )

 

https://www.target.com.au/p/dymo-letratag-lt-1-h-blue/39911964?utm_term=39911964&utm_content=dymo-letratag-lt-1-h-blue&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant-site&utm_campaign=merchant-site&gclid=CjwKCAiAws7uBRAkEiwAMlbZjg0V65oVA0KR_AZEDTX4nZYxEgaAvr5xnLLIURcdn1MaLAlE9ZVumxoCrX4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jventer said:

Good idea. I picked up a slightly older version second hand from a garage sale for $10.00 but the tape is a little expensive from memory. But now I have another use to justify such an extravagant purchase as the labeller LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

much neater than the back of mine............its a nightmare back there........I refuse to get any new equipment as i would have to delves into the spaghetti patch to connect it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 19/11/2019 at 8:54 PM, audiofeline said:

I've started to label the interconnects so they are easier to identify than stretching my neck to read the fine print on the back of the devices they are plugged into.  It doesn't make it any tidier, but it's a lot easier to find specific cables.

 

 

 

Great idea about cable labelling, I usually write on mine with a fine black permanent marker, but that rubs off and can be hard to see behind the back of the unit.   I also have a small mirror on an extender (from jaycar) to read what input/output is what on the audio devices.  

 

I also spent about  1 hour the day other working out which speakers cables go to what wall socket for the surrounds.  In hindsight I should not have labelled the inputs under the wall plate cover  :).  You have to pull out all the cables to get the wall plate cover off !!!

Edited by Syrot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have  the same problem  I wish I had room  to walk in behind everything  to change cables   ect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what I use for labelling cables - cheap, easy to see, and can be removed without any damage:

4cabling_21_8_13_022.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a couple of sheets of these with my Balkum PF 40 it really helps to keep the cable monster under control

image.thumb.jpeg.a97c0232cabb0e5ed0979c972d443dd8.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


On 20/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, Syrot said:

 

Great idea about cable labelling, I usually write on mine with a fine black permanent marker, but that rubs off and can be hard to see behind the back of the unit.   I also have a small mirror on an extender (from jaycar) to read what input/output is what on the audio devices.  

 

I also spent about  1 hour the day other working out which speakers cables go to what wall socket for the surrounds.  In hindsight I should not have labelled the inputs under the wall plate cover  :).  You have to pull out all the cables to get the wall plate cover off !!!

Been using that mirror too much.. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...