Where were you in 1994 ?

Interesting thread.

First half of '94 I was training young officers at RMC Duntroon. Still remember the wind coming off the lake during parades in July...

Second half was in Woomera SA, working for the Joint Defence Forces, with the summer heat hitting 46C on occasions. 

My 'hi fi' system was a pair of Proac Super EBTs, a Yamaha CD player and a Yamaha 'Natural Sound' amp. I still have the speakers in my bedroom.

• Like 1

Still living at home, just got my first 'real full time job' after the 92 recession that was paying good $$

Just bought my first hi fi system: Pioneer PDM503 5 disc CD player, Pioneer SX202R receiver & Wharfedale CRS3 speakers cost $1,300

Spending all my $$ on my rapidly growing CD collection

Reading What HiFi & HiFi Choice & all those assorted Aust. HiFi magazines, most of them long gone now

Regular visitor to my local JB HiFi

Hanging out at quite a few local hifi stores, esp Mike Kontor's Leading Edge store on North Road in Ormond

Edited by bvuka2013

19 hours ago, gemini07 said:

Interesting thread.

First half of '94 I was training young officers at RMC Duntroon. Still remember the wind coming off the lake during parades in July...

Rolling around that same town in painted hippy van going to alt venues like the ANU not being impressed by the Duntroon crew.

Got my speakers stolen at share house.  Lucky more didn't go. Covered by insurance.

I started back at Eastern Hi-Fi in New Market, Auckland, NZ after a 2 year sabbatical. 

Was selling Polk, Sansui, Denon, Yamaha, NAD, Mordaunt Short, Mission, Cyrus, Audio Innovations, Sonic Frontiers, VTL, Audiostatic, Plinius, McLaren, Audiolab, Straightwire, Infinity, Musical Fidelity, Systemdek, and just about anything else we wanted except for Linn and Naim (Absolute Sound had that). 

I was comparing Cyrus to MF and ended up with an MF Electra system driving MS Performance 880 with Straightwire Maestro cabling. 

I left after the owner decided to float and expand and became obsessed with sales staff setting increased targets every month. Sadly, the company didn’t last long after that as the owner had health issues (heart attack) and was advised to walk away from it all. 

Was a second year apprentice sparky, on about $6.50 an hour.  Saved like mad for my first CD player.  A Marantz CD-53.  Picked up a Marantz 1090 Integrated amp from a second hand shop for about $30 that had some dodgy pots. Easy fixed.  I pilfered my old man’s Polk speakers, and thought I had the best hifi system in the world, haha. Super proud. 

Life in general was kicking off. Moved out of home.  Got a second job doing security in a club.  I was a proper grownup!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, gemini07 said:

Second half was in Woomera SA, working for the Joint Defence Forces, with the summer heat hitting 46C on occasions. 

I spent the start of ‘98 in Woomera, then moved to Roxby Downs.  The Yanks were still putting money into the place then (just), and it wasn’t a bad spot.  I was doing fifo work at Olympic Dam, and we stayed in the old accommodation blocks from when the rocket ranger was in its heyday. By memory, I was in one called Black Knight. Most nights were spent at the Eldo.  They made a good Parma. 
Yep, it got bloody hot out there. 

• Like 1

1994, rode our bikes from vancouver to San Francisco, saw a show with Rancid, Adam and the Ants, Frente and I can't remember who else. Then down to Costa Rica, Ace of Bass pumping out of everywhere. Between then and later travels in South America I've developed a deep contempt for pan pipe Beatles cover bands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1