Where were you in 1994 ?

2 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Lol great responses from people.

i think 94 I was working in Claremont , pretty sure my system was Rega planar 3, Sony x77es cdplayer, nakamichi ca5/pa7 (s/h) and dynimage speakers. 

All from either frank prowse, Vince Ross and simply hifi 

would have been 27 at the time 

Gosh bought my first system from Vince Ross in in 1976. It was a Rotel tt with a Shure cart. A Kenwood Amp, Kenwood cassette player and 2 huge Cerwin Vega tower speakers. Those speakers were great party speakers. But fidelity wise they were pretty crap. But my mates were impressed.

• Like 1

2nd year of Uni (doing some 1st year subjects again as I enjoyed wine, women and song a bit too much) and was introduced to NAD and a pretty decent Uni student hi fi. 

...and that you could enhance your VHS viewing experience by plugging it into said stereo. The Lion King was a watershed moment. (Could've been the joints being toked at the time) but that soundtrack stood out! ?

• Like 1

Finishing my degree after 5 years and really looking forward to getting into work. 25 years later, I long for those old days .

Did manage to work in some dodgy Hobart bottle shop for a bit which allowed me to go to Qantum and get my paws on on Japanese made Yammy receiver and cd player. All this fed to some god awful speakers from Vinnies but it mattered little as long as it was loud!

• Like 1

A bit hazy for sure

but about then I was buying from "clay's hifi" at Mermaid Beach Gold Coast...

glad to see Clay Gieseler still involved in the industry making DACs...

and im still listening...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, t_mike said:

I was spending a bit of down time with Roger Rogerson.

I'll bite. More information, please.

Working a public service job, in the newish (since 1992) Teleservice Centre segment. First child on the way. Bought my block of land and required 20%deposit as it was a rural block.

Listening to the Sony Home Theatre package (with APM front speakers). Included a 5 disc CD player, and a dual cassette deck. Dreaming of Richter Dragons

Edited by Uncle Seth
Dragons

Living in my first home age 23, separated from partner who I bought the house with so had a boarder and 2nd job to pay the mortgage. My old man gave me his Rotel receiver and Interdyn speakers at 20 which I stupidly traded in on a Yamaha Dolby Pro Logic receiver and base model Jamo speakers.

Would be another few years till I discovered Trevor Lees shop and the habit truly kicked in. Not sure what year is was but I was in the shop when Trevor had his first demo of a DVD player, a mind blowing moment for all present. A couple of years later I paid around $1400 for a Sony ES player and around the same for a Sony Dolby Digital ES AVR. IIRC there were 7 DVD titles available in Oz when I got it, and 4 of them were bundled with the player.

• Like 2

What a trip down memory lane. 

I was in my 2nd year as an apprentice carpenter. I had bought my first speakers, a pair of Bose 301's for $800 and had nothing to drive them. They sat in a box for months until i saved up enough to buy an amp. Weekly wage was about $200 back then, with not much to show after the weekend ?

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Green Day and the Gunners were on constant play.............

• Like 1

Third year apprentice, newly married (that went well.....) and a toddler. Music was primarily grunge and industrial with a good dose of techno. Broke as all hell.

• Like 2

1994.  As surround sound and digital audio began to come of age.

We were still in the suburbs and my Son was born.  Was 4 years into my long career in electronic security systems and I made the big leap and 'updated' from the LX Torana to a 10 year old VH Commodore Wagon with the 2nd child arriving.

Wasn't  buying any new hifi gear around that time.  I'd bought some nice Marantz pieces & an AudioSource SS3 Prologic Processor/Amp a few years earlier with a bit of the money from a redundancy package.  (before the rest was applied to the mortgage to give us some relief from the high interest rates)  With starting a family, there wasn't much spare cash either.

There was no way I could have thought about purchasing most of the gear mentioned in the article.  But looking through the lists of finalists, the Audiolab 8000T that I picked up last year gets a gong!

However, around then I did build a very decent pair of rear surround speakers using a cabinet kit from DSE, drivers from Altronics and some nice air-core chokes & poly caps from Truscott's in Croydon.  There were no Altronics stores in VIC then, so I had to have the drivers sent from WA.  With a few tweaks to the port & crossover design, and some extra bracing, the results were quite impressive and they're still in use as my rear surrounds to this day.

At the time they were hooked up to the AudioSource SS3 that had built-in 35W/ch amps for the rear speakers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, vinilink said:

I was working then and used to go down to Pitt St second hand records shops, especially Ashwoods and Lawsons etc, flipping through vinyls for hours, especially Ashwood had two levels. Oh what a good old memories. ?

Back then I was regularly off to Dandenong market on a Saturday morning for fruit & veg etc. then dropping in at Dixon's Recycled Records on the way home for the occasional CD or vinyl bargain.

14 hours ago, expat said:

Sunderland in NE England. A place accurately described to me as the boil in the armpit of the world. So bad, left the UK at the end of the year and never went back except to visit family. HiFi wise, very UK flat earth with LP12/Ekos/Asaka Naim 42.5/HiCap/110 and Linn Kans. Bought a Sony Discman to experiment with and to travel with. Still got the LP12. 

But what a system!!

I was running a pub a few miles outside Reading, just over the border in Oxfordshire, by the end of that year. After a year in England without having a system to listen to, as I had sold my Gale 402's before leaving Perth, I was overjoyed to be able to buy a Pair of Linn Kabers and get everything else up and running again. The lounge room of the flat was above the main bar and in quiet moments you could hear King Crimson in full roar filtering down from the ceiling.

Had a guy come through the bar one day and somehow Robert Fripp's name came up in conversation. Don't know who he was but he told me that KC were once again a going concern and were recording relatively close by, and that he would drop off some of what they were working on the next day. Yeah, sure.......and he did, a cassette of what was released as Vroom.

Right place, right time.

Edited by JukKluk2
  • Like 3

Someone earlier in the thread said today in 94 was a Thursday; assuming that's correct, we would have been looking forward to the weekends gigs, either playing out, or going out to see some other band. We didn't listen to all that much canned music back then as she was always on the piano or guitar playing something, and the radio was usually on (and was decent back then, for the most part).

System was, IIRC, Gyro/SAEC 407/Garrott Decca, own RIAA and pre, NAXO (or most likely my own analog xover), 3x Perreaux 6000B and Linn PMS. I might have had the first SP10 by then as she had perfect pitch and BD W&F drove her nuts. Still have the front end, but the rest went later.

• Like 1