Streamer Suggestions CLOSED (I'm trying out the Lumin U1 Mini) - USB output and Tidal a must, $1-2k range

Hi all,

I am looking for a network streamer in $1-2k price range that has a USB output and full function Tidal integration.  

I am currently running a Macbook Air and Audirvana with USB output to DAC. I use the Audirvana Remote on iPhone and iPad, as it lets me search for songs from my HD and the Tidal library together, from my couch. In the Audirvana Remote app, I can add to Tidal favourites, read artist information and browse new albums and playlists. The DAC matches the sample rate from Audirvana, so it changes to 24/96 by itself when I select an MQA track in Tidal. It's all so very easy and functional but the noise from the Macbook Air has become apparent and can't be ignored much longer...

Please let me know any suggestions for a Streamer to replace the Macbook Air. I'll keep the Mac on the network so it's  internal HD can be accessed by the Streamer, but I will be using Tidal primarily. 

I like the Aurender and Lumin products but they are out of the budget at RRP.  The Cached Playback function of the Aurender N100H is super intriguing. 

Any and all relevant links welcome! Thanks,

David

9 hours ago, sakabatou said:

Welcome!

The original Auralic Aries ticks all those boxes, as long as you have an ios device to interface with it.

8 hours ago, Soundfever said:

@cambam007 you’ve beat me to it. I have one connected to a gustard dac with a Roksan integrated amp and they work well together 

Thanks for the recommendation guys. I had actually reached out to Cameron last week, but he has sold this one already. The Aries is a real consideration. 

David, for years I ran a similar set up to you however used a MacMini and iPad as screen/ remote for Audivarna.

Recently replaced this set up with a Node 2i and I’m really happy with it.

I like the BlueOS remote interface and just the all round flexibility of the Node 2i. Has a huge feature set that’s hard to beat for the price and sounds better than the Mac as a transport.

I also connect an external HD with over 2500 uncompressed and high res Albums on it for when I don’t want to stream music.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Turtle Rustler said:

Sonore MicroRendu is hard to beat as a streamer for the price. I run a Moon Mind which is awesome, but that might be too pricey for you.

Others worth a look:

Cambridge Audio CXN (V2)

Bluesound Node 2A

Audiolab

The Moon looks gorgeous but I don’t think it has a USB output. The CXN and the Node are the same! It seems my USB requirement are thinning out the options. Thanks for your recommendations Turtle. I’m having a good look at the Rendu now. 

Edited by mm.pulp

13 minutes ago, lebowski said:

David, for years I ran a similar set up to you however used a MacMini and iPad as screen/ remote for Audivarna.

Recently replaced this set up with a Node 2i and I’m really happy with it.

I like the BlueOS remote interface and just the all round flexibility of the Node 2i. Has a huge feature set that’s hard to beat for the price and sounds better than the Mac as a transport.

I also connect an external HD with over 2500 uncompressed and high res Albums on it for when I don’t want to stream music.

Hey Dude, the Node 2i looks great, and good to know the UI is workable for you after Audirvana/iPad, but the Node doesn't seem to include USB OUT. Cheers to a (previously) fellow Audurvaneer though!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al.M said:

There’s lots of great sounding ones here

Thanks AI.M, I had found this in google searches. Surprisingly very few offering USB out though.

I've actually just finalised a great deal on a Lumin U1 Mini.

I'll report back in a few days for a quick review! 

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same requirement, a streamer that unfolds MQA from Tidal, and has a USB A > B output for my DAC. 

I've narrowed them down to: 

Pro-Ject Stream box S2 Ultra (1000 AUD mark)

SoTM SMS-200 Ultra (Pricier at 2800 AUD)

Bumping this in case anyone has first hand info on either of h above before I pull the trigger - or if there is another kit you recommend.

Cheers.

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@mm.pulp How has your experience been with the U1 mini? How does it compare with the Node2i? Thanks 

Having just updated from the 2i to the Lumin U1 Mini- I was flabbergasted at the improvement. 

Made the 2i sound congested and flabby in comparison!

• Like 2

@evil c Thanks a lot. I am currently using an Elac Discovery streamer and am looking to make the move up. I recently auditioned the Denafrips R2R dacs and boy what a big difference they make. I could use my Elac as a transport but then Roon Essentials doesn’t get the same level of support as Roon. Tidal Connect launched recently has been a game changer for me as I do not have local stored music. I only need tidal and Spotify with the connect tech, roon and other streamer softwares become irrelevant to me. I’m super happy with the way Lumin responds to their customers, so I’m eagerly waiting to see when they will be launching the Tidal Connect. With Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and Google Cast and Airplay pretty much all the major streaming services can be covered. There is a big market for cloud streaming only audiophiles and I’m waiting to see which company goes after them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BrownMagic said:

@evil c Thanks a lot. I am currently using an Elac Discovery streamer and am looking to make the move up. I recently auditioned the Denafrips R2R dacs and boy what a big difference they make. I could use my Elac as a transport but then Roon Essentials doesn’t get the same level of support as Roon. Tidal Connect launched recently has been a game changer for me as I do not have local stored music. I only need tidal and Spotify with the connect tech, roon and other streamer softwares become irrelevant to me. I’m super happy with the way Lumin responds to their customers, so I’m eagerly waiting to see when they will be launching the Tidal Connect. With Tidal Connect, Spotify Connect and Google Cast and Airplay pretty much all the major streaming services can be covered. There is a big market for cloud streaming only audiophiles and I’m waiting to see which company goes after them. 

I hear good things about Denafrips and was one of the brands on my short list of DACs.

For the money, the Silent Angel Rhein Z1 Roon core servers, (good competition with Roon Nucleus plus), are very good, I run a NAS and the Z1 via Ethernet to my router, and the same with the Lumin U1 Mini (As Roon end point ).

Lumin are renowned for their good service and ease of usability.

Maybe not quite as user friendly as the NODE 2i, but in other ways more sophisticated interface wise. 

With Tidal Inc  Master, plus Spotify, internet radio and music from my HD I'm never left feeling I'm missing out on something ! ?

Sure Lumin will get on board with Tidal Connect very soon.

I know I can't keep up with all this new technology!

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BrownMagic said:

@mm.pulp How has your experience been with the U1 mini? How does it compare with the Node2i? Thanks 

Hi, I upgraded from using Audirvana on a Macbook Air, I haven't had any experience with the famous Node2i. The most obvious improvement was a real lowering of the noise floor. Instruments seemed to have more 'space' to 'flesh out' and the decay became a tad more natural. Improvements in overall dynamics were less pronounced, but still apparent. But in all honesty, I couldn't speculate on how it compares with the Node2i.

• Like 1