Dire Straits MOFIs

ok, let's get back to enjoying the music.... 

?

...and tearing my hair out trying to hunt down the first batch of numbered sacds from online sources. it seems that the first batch was already sold out and none got sent to my regular, go-to sacd seller. i was told to wait for the second prints...

???

Edited by jeromelang

33 minutes ago, benny said:

You said it earlier dude when you said "the music and the flow is most important"

I dont buy into any hype im trying to be objective.

I also do like the mofi inner sleeves, what would you reccomend as an alternative?

I find the mofi sleeves a complete pita with their corners that fold and difficult to insert and remove due to their square corners.

for any record that does not have a cardboard lyric sheet, the covers 33 sleeves are easily the best imo - used by most of the premium labels ( except mofi).

for any record that has a cardboard/paper lyric sheet, stock standard U shaped poly slees available on ebay everywhere work perfectly as they insert into and remove from the lyric sheet with ease

https://www.covers33.co.uk/shop/for-your-vinyl/12-vinyl/12-paper/12-white-paper-polylined-sleeve-pack-of-100/

12-white-polylined-2.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, benny said:

I think you buy mofi's for the SQ above all else.

If you're more concerned with the flow of an album than its sound, then yeah a cheaper pressing is probably money better spent.

Sound quality is of the utmost importance to me, as is album flow. The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

My experience with Mofi's is fairly consistent. Anything released in the last few years is outstanding - without exception. Stuff earlier to that (esp the stuff released in the 90's) isn't always as good.

A good example is the MFSL "Oxygene" by Jean-Michel Jarre. This one commands big bucks on MFSL vinyl, but to my ear it is far inferior to the Japanese pressing.

Of course the MFSL version is FAR more collectible.

Mofi is not the be-all and end-all if you look at everything ever made (70s/80's Jap Vinyl for example is generally great), however they are head and shoulders above 99% of what is being pressed new these days.

47 minutes ago, TDK said:

My experience with Mofi's is fairly consistent. Anything released in the last few years is outstanding - without exception. Stuff earlier to that (esp the stuff released in the 90's) isn't always as good.

A good example is the MFSL "Oxygene" by Jean-Michel Jarre. This one commands big bucks on MFSL vinyl, but to my ear it is far inferior to the Japanese pressing.

Of course the MFSL version is FAR more collectible.

Mofi is not the be-all and end-all if you look at everything ever made (70s/80's Jap Vinyl for example is generally great), however they are head and shoulders above 99% of what is being pressed new these days.

I think you are right, Santana Abraxas UltraDisc One-Step 45RPM is considered one of the best sounding records ever, and was pressed on the 2000s. I had a chance to listen it on an SNA member gear and it was unbelievable.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

The question remains - were these 45rpm reissues derived from us or uk masters?

I have the original UK pressings of Communique and LOG and these reissues handily trump them.

The original UK press of LOG is not as good as the Aussie Maxicut. Whether they are from the UK or US masters both MOFI reissues I have are superior to the original UK pressings. Especially surprising with Communique as my 1st UK pressing was one of my reference discs.

The soundstage of these reissues is just so much larger than the original UK's it's amazing. Hearing the original records you can't help but think "How can it get better this", with these reissues, it does. At first the bass does not seem to have the punch of the original but it's far more extended and filled in. The overall balance is superb. Some of the very best records I have in my collection.

I listened to Where Do You Think You Are Going three times in a row on my first listen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jeromelang said:

Obviously, with your playing habit, i shudder to think if your original uk copies might have gotten...

Hahaha whatever. Deal with it mate, the Mofi's crush the original UK pressings. My original copy of Communique is absolutely mint. It would give Mark Knopfler wood if he had of heard it before the MOFI's came out.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I love this track.  ?

Yeah ditto.

Slightly off topic, but I really wish that On the Night would get reissued. Buying a second hand copy is exorbitant. 

Hell, I'd be satisfied with a Back to Black copy....

• Like 1

On 15/12/2019 at 2:45 PM, kelossus said:

I have the original UK pressings of Communique and LOG and these reissues handily trump them.

The original UK press of LOG is not as good as the Aussie Maxicut. Whether they are from the UK or US masters both MOFI reissues I have are superior to the original UK pressings. Especially surprising with Communique as my 1st UK pressing was one of my reference discs.

The soundstage of these reissues is just so much larger than the original UK's it's amazing. Hearing the original records you can't help but think "How can it get better this", with these reissues, it does. At first the bass does not seem to have the punch of the original but it's far more extended and filled in. The overall balance is superb. Some of the very best records I have in my collection.

I listened to Where Do You Think You Are Going three times in a row on my first listen.

Agreed. I picked up all of them yesterday. Listened to self titled and Communique last night. They are far superior to the original pressings I have. The dynamic range is what you want when they get the 45 treatment. No more compressed sounding sections when lots is going on. Better separation everywhere. 

Will spin up LOG and Making movies tonight. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...