Dire Straits MOFIs

I have to say that, at $100 a throw, they are too rich for my blood. That's probably because they're not one of my most favourite bands, not that I dislike them, I do in fact have all of their LPs., they're just not up there at the top of the mountain.  Were I to be tempted to buy just one of these it would be, without hesitation, Communique which I feel is their crowning achievement. YMMV (a lot!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup1 said:

I too have the BIA mofi, and have to agree with Troy. A superb pressing. 

I have all the Grundman 2010 Pallas pressings but above has hooked me. I’ve ordered all 4. Hopefully will get them before Xmas

I do have the 45 RPM of BIA and it’s really good but my other pressings are great. My half speed of Making Movies is damn good and also my British pressing of LOG.

2 hours ago, JukKluk2 said:

I have to say that, at $100 a throw, they are too rich for my blood. That's probably because they're not one of my most favourite bands, not that I dislike them, I do in fact have all of their LPs., they're just not up there at the top of the mountain.  Were I to be tempted to buy just one of these it would be, without hesitation, Communique which I feel is their crowning achievement. YMMV (a lot!)

I might start writing my letter to Santa. News is one of favourite songs of them, love the lyrics and the music

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ray4410 said:

has anyone got the mobile fidelity sacd -dire straits self titled also communique,any comments on sound quality.

The SACDs (like the vinyl) are available in Australia at the end of this month. It seems that MoFi release new product first to the North American market, followed by international web orders, then finally their worldwide distribution network, meaning we tend to see new releases about 4 weeks after launch date.

I have them on order from my local record store. I was impressed with the MOFI treatment of BIA and keen to hear 45rpm versions of these. They’re expensive, but the four albums are classics IMO, and Love Over Gold is for me a desert island record. I just saw the first comments on sound quality on the Hoffman forums, which were positive. 

My record store are expecting stock at month’s end. 

• Like 2

I've been a DS fan since my teens, so I'll be very interested to hear the MOFI treatment on these classics. Love Over Gold especially should shine I think, tracks like Telegraph Road and Private Investigations which have quiet passages as well as powerful explosive parts particularly pique my interest. There is a part in Telegraph Road which sometimes, still after all these years and listens,  brings a tear to my eye haha.

Edited by Jebediah
  • Like 7

Still have my '84 copy if Love Over Gold when year 11 (Form 5!!!). Has a few crackles, but still sounds pretty impressive. Probably consider Making movies, mainly for Romeo and Juliet and Skateaway. 

Have double LP best of, so that will suffice.

Bit of trivia, Skateaway, first heard and saw it, on, of all shows, ....Kenny Everett!....... a long time ago.!!

Chuckling now..... Captain Kremmen!!!.....Carla...oo-eee!!

• Haha 1

are the mofi sourced from us masters, or UK masters?

the 2-disc mofi bia 45rpm was clearly inferior to the 2 disc bia in the mercury boxset, imho.

however i do welcome a 45rpm reissue of LOG, debut, Making Movies, and Communique, that will have to do until vertigo/mercury decides to do their own 45rpm reissues.

1 hour ago, mattd2308 said:

Still have my '84 copy if Love Over Gold when year 11 (Form 5!!!). Has a few crackles, but still sounds pretty impressive. Probably consider Making movies, mainly for Romeo and Juliet and Skateaway. 

Bit of trivia, Skateaway, first heard and saw it, on, of all shows, ....Kenny Everett!....... a long time ago.!!

....and don't forget the 'Hot Gossip' dancers! ?

Is your 'Love Over Gold' an Oz pressing because the third Oz issue of this LP (all three were released in 1984) was a Maxicut......the first two were not. Check the runout etching to check if the word Maxicut is there. If so, no wonder it sounds impressive......if not, how good would the Maxicut sound?!?

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

Is your 'Love Over Gold' an Oz pressing because the third Oz issue of this LP (all three were released in 1984) was a Maxicut......the first two were not. Check the runout etching to check if the word Maxicut is there. If so, no wonder it sounds impressive......if not, how good would the Maxicut sound?!?

Nope, mine is the generic #6359 109.. etching, and where did I get 1984 from, is was "82, thought I was a bit out. Didn't think I was doing year 11 then.!?!

6 hours ago, mattd2308 said:

Nope, mine is the generic #6359 109.. etching, and where did I get 1984 from, is was "82, thought I was a bit out. Didn't think I was doing year 11 then.!?!

Yes, you're right. It was 1982. I should have written that too....you're post mislead me.?

On 18/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, mattd2308 said:

Making movies is a fantastic album, the drums on Tunnel of love and Mark’s guitar solo at the end is ...

• Like 4

On 20/11/2019 at 10:59 AM, hlov said:

Making movies is a fantastic album, the drums on Tunnel of love and Mark’s guitar solo at the end is ...

Yes, Pick Withers was a criminally underrated drummer imo. His jazz leanings gave the music a subtlety that subsequent drummers didn't quite emulate. 

• Like 4

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, Hydrology said:

The SACDs (like the vinyl) are available in Australia at the end of this month. It seems that MoFi release new product first to the North American market, followed by international web orders, then finally their worldwide distribution network, meaning we tend to see new releases about 4 weeks after launch date.

Can any member tell me where the SACD versions will be available in Australia?

I have been on the so called 'Pre Order list' at Elusive Discs in US for over two years, their website still shows the status as on as 'Pre Order'

Ken

25 minutes ago, Ken said:

I have been on the so called 'Pre Order list' at Elusive Discs in US for over two years, their website still shows the status as on as 'Pre Order'

Ken

www.audiophilereferencerecordings.com.au..... Ken

2 hours ago, Jebediah said:

Yes, Pick Withers was a criminally underrated drummer imo. His jazz leanings gave the music a subtlety that subsequent drummers didn't quite emulate. 

Cool info, I just read about him. He has also played with Dylan on Sole train comming

18 hours ago, Ken said:

Ken

Frank Prowse HiFi in Perth - I can also confirm that the SACDs are arriving about 3-4 weeks later than the LP versions, it would be touch and go as to whether the SACDs arrive just in time for Xmas/New Year.