Lil Caesar

So I bought a Schiit Aegir

image.thumb.jpg.f482e33e598a835fc8efbbee2ac98d69.jpg

I’ve made a terrible mistake.

In a moment of madness I put down to the onset of midlife crisis I bought an amp and pair of speakers.  

which i don’t need.

nor can I justify.

the speakers are wharfedale lintons which are yet to arrive.

the amp is in the image above.

The Aegir is the class a bias version of Schiit’s Vidar.

20 watts @ 8 Ohms and 40 in to 4.  10 watts pure class a standing bias.

i couldn’t wait for the Lintons to arrive so I hooked the Aegir up to my Kef R3.

it shouldn’t work.  These are 87 Db and although 8 Ohm nominal the impedance curve is gnarly and they dip to 3.2

Oh but it does work.

The volume goes very close to max on my Topping D70 DAC/Pre depending on the SNR of the source material however the sound being reproduced is liquid gold.  

OK bass detail can get a bit woolly with the most rapacious of recordings BUT all things considered it’s an amazing device.

i can only imagine what two of these things in balanced monobloc mode would reproduce.

very much looking forward to the reproduction thru the Lintons which are a lighter load @ 90 Db and supposedly 6 Ohm for most of the frequency bandwidth.

and yes the Miles Davis illustration is a bit crooked in the photo he has since been levelled.

Edited by Lil Caesar

I want a couple of those to play with. 

11 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

i can only imagine what two of these things in balanced monobloc mode would reproduce.

very much looking forward to the reproduction thru the Lintons which are a lighter load @ 90 Db and supposedly 6 Ohm for most of the frequency bandwidth.

nice pickup :) just imagine two as well as monos and lintons :D blame as much as can on mid life madness ! love and joy to the fullest :D 

13 hours ago, Lil Caesar said:

the impedance curve is gnarly and they dip to 3.2

Only if you vertically bi-amp the two stereo amps.  Then only one tweeter and one bass driver for each amp and it's power supply.

If you bridge them all you gain is higher wattage, everything else is usually worse off, especially damping factor and the ability to stably drive low impedance's like the 3.2ohms.

Jess

I would love to get a Schiit stack sometime.

Does anybody here know if there is another retailer of the Schiit brand in Oz,other than A2A?

I won't go too far into why I am seeking an alternative, just suffice to say if they are the only dealer, then I will wait and buy used.

Edited by rantan

I Bought some Wharfedale Lintons recently. Very pleased - they are extremely musical and coherant. I am enjoying long listening sessions.

I will be interested in your impressions with the Aegir....I am using a schitt saga pre and an old NAD 2400 power amp 100w per side - good bass grip but a little polite.

and I didnt need the speakers either !!

394836E5-C605-45C0-956D-EF82409DE96E.thumb.jpeg.078274462853b1ea4c39ff5aa0a432cf.jpeg

The Lintons in situ @ the man cave.

....you could say I’m over-speakering the room 🤣

The quality of the veneer finish needs to be seen to be appreciated.

So far the Aegir/Linton paring is proving to be very successful.

Nothing heavy just yet but small ensemble stuff is sensational as they break in.

One thing is clear - they could easily fill a sizeable room with music if one was inclined to pair them with a higher powered amplifier.  They’re getting something like 30 WPC into their 6 Ohms and its more than enough to reproduce good dynamics in my 30m2 HT room.

nm

Edited by rantan

How is the Linton/Aegir combination going?

Selfish motives here, I have the Linton and would love to hear them with the Aegir.

My NAD (circa 1992) power amp is good, but a little polite -  and the reviews of the Aegir suggest it may open up the Lintons to a bit more magic.

insert evil laugh

G'Day,

For the most part going very well.

The speakers have started to relax a bit now.

Treble is relatively sweet and refined with good detail - being a more traditional soft-dome type it's far from the most analytical as you probably already know.  Via the Aegir the performance is delightfully non-fatiguing and effortlessly extended.

Midrange is quite prominent, I'd go so far as to describe it as almost type-like via the Aegir and probably on the warm/full side but I can't be certain if that's just the amp or the speaker or a combination of the two.  I'd guess that the forward nature of the response in this area is down to the amp.  Female vocals and choral works sound gorgeous as a result.

Bass - this is where things get interesting and the whole equation become as make-or-break proposition.  Good recordings of small ensembles and acoustic music sound as close to perfect as you could hope for - short of buying ultra high-end gear.  Having had a $30k setup in the past I have no doubt that these two products are a down-right bargain in this regard.

HOWEVER - when things get complex and highly dynamic - large ensembles, orchestral, modern prog rock, electronica etc - there simply is not enough power on tap to deliver truly satisfying results.   Note that the amp never misses beat - nothing has sounded strained or thin or compressed - even when pushed to the limit.  It's just that you do not get the amount of slam or depth in recordings that you know is present and can be reproduced using a more powerful, conventional a/b amp.

The Lintons ought to reach 40Hz +/- 3 dB and 35Hz in-room which probably means -6dB on-axis - having had a number of speakers with the same specs I know they can ultimately perform better if fed more power.

Overall sound stage is very wide, and thru the Lintons there is a palpable sense of immediacy to audio reproduction via the Aegir that I was not expecting.  The upper bass detail and speed is remarkable with drums sounding especially realistic.  The standout however, would be piano recordings.  The sonority of chords, even at the deep end is realised with such accuracy that I'd rate it as the best I've ever heard, for some reason this type of instrument does not seem to suffer from a sense of lack of power unlike electric bass guitar or electronic synths and bass machines.

My goal for this system was a stereo playback which gave a more relaxed and inviting experience, the kind to which one could listen to for hours without fatigue - this I have achieved.

If I want to rock out with tighter and deeper bass , well there's a system in the living room running class D monoblocs or the HT system you can see behind the Lintons so I'm really spoilt for choice now :)

Edited by Lil Caesar

wow, a comprehensive review, thanks 😀

My impressions are similar about the sonic attributes of the Lintons re. trebble sweet and refined not detailed, mid being slightly prominant, bass fullsome but not ultra deep. I find them very musical, non fatiguing and coherant. Very happy with them. i have come from single driver land, DIY, and recently Klipsch Heresy which were all more in your face listening.

My Linton listening differs from yours with the NAD 2400 class a/b I am getting plenty of bass but a gentle mid/top typical of many MOSFET amps from years past. interesting you note the lower bass is not there for complex material.  I had it pretty loud last Saturday with friends and had plenty of low notes on all type of music, I did not find lacking.

For me, low notes are important so I would not like to sacrifice that spectrum for midrange clarity. I think much of the musical flow, drive and feeling sits in the bass region to to find that lacking would bother me.

Perhaps I will try the Vidar amp as I already have Schitt preamp (saga). Reviews of that amp suggest a bit more drive with a bit less liquidity.

If ever you would like to compare notes, happy to visit and bring my amp combo over for a session.

cheers Adam

Hi Adam,

Well it's not so much a case of the bass not being present... It's the delivery.  There's good detail retrieval of textures and separation of notes in the lower octaves, but it comes across as somewhat recessed.  It might just be that the prominent mids are drawing all my attention.  I reckon comparing notes is a great idea and something we could try and organise early in the new year, particularly if you do get the Vidar.

Cheers,

Roman.

Edited by Lil Caesar

thanks for the link - very interesting.

Herb seems to be saying he needs 2 * aegir to get some headroom on a speaker thats 89db sensitive (that might be lower).

Maybe thats what Roman has noticed with the Lintons too which are 90db but a difficult load that drops to 2 ohm.

more thinking to do!

Adam

6 hours ago, at68 said:

Herb seems to be saying he needs 2 * aegir to get some headroom on a speaker that's 89db sensitive

They are only 25w, and those manger speakers are tested at 85db and aren't what would you would call an easy load. 90-250hz spread, right in the amps power area, at under 4 and even 3ohms

https://www.stereophile.com/images/1119ManP1fig1.jpg

Jess 

Edited by jessandkerry

I’ve resigned myself to the reality that a single aegir just doesn’t deliver the bass slam I find I crave nor the associated spls.  The most frustrating part is that I am financially able to acquire another one in order to run them as monoblocs but the wife has made it clear that the box count cannot grow.

so it’s now for sale.  Owners of efficient speakers and/or lovers of light music / easy listening material would find this amp perfect in singular, stereo mode.  It’s just that modern rock and pop or Large scale orchestral works need more power to to satisfactorily reproduced.

What about buying some speaker stands and placing the monoblocks where the speakers are?

Posted (edited)

Ah well, it was destined for another room in the house altogether, the picture you see at the start of this thread was just to play out how it sounded with the Kef R3’s.  I was kinda hoping the amp would actually fit within the wharfedale Linton stands you can see in the second picture but sadly it’s a too big.

Edited by Lil Caesar

1 hour ago, Lil Caesar said:

I’ve resigned myself to the reality that a single aegir just doesn’t deliver the bass slam I find I crave nor the associated spls.  The most frustrating part is that I am financially able to acquire another one in order to run them as monoblocs but the wife has made it clear that the box count cannot grow.

so it’s now for sale.  Owners of efficient speakers and/or lovers of light music / easy listening material would find this amp perfect in singular, stereo mode.  It’s just that modern rock and pop or Large scale orchestral works need more power to to satisfactorily reproduced.

I'm confused???  :o

Your initial post was that the Aegir sounded great - yet now you say it "just doesn’t deliver the bass slam I find I crave nor the associated spls "!!

Since a. you are looking for a new amp with more power and b. you are in Melbourne, you might like to visit Hugh Dean, in Rosanna, to listen to either:

• his NAKSA 80 (80w into 8 ohms) or
  • his Maya (200w into 8 ohms).

Both of these deliver bass slam!  :)

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy, I think I might have fallen susceptible to new toy euphoria and failed to reserve judgement until I’d properly canvassed all my favourite listening material.

25 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

Hi Andy, I think I might have fallen susceptible to new toy euphoria and failed to reserve judgement until I’d properly canvassed all my favourite listening material.

Let me know if your new toy euphoria wears off and you want to sell the Lintons:)

36 minutes ago, Lil Caesar said:

Aah, that's sad, LC.  :(

Have a listen to the AKSAs though.

But I guess you'd prefer to listen to them at home, with your spkrs?  Hugh should  be able to lend one of his amps to you, for a home audition - but if he's unable to, for some reason, I could lend you one of my NAKSA 80s for a week or so.  You mentioned hoping the Aegir would fit inside your spkr stands - my N 80s are:

• 315mm deep,
  • 340m wide, and
  • 150mm high.

Regards,

Andy

>single aegir just doesn’t deliver the bass slam
Thats true!

Moreover, 2 aegirs from freya via tube-mode (balanced) to lintons = same result... and maybe even worse.

Yes, you got more volume, but bass the same or even worse. And overall sound less dynamic.

I'm going to sell second aegir.

I got satisfying result when added adam sub8 (crossover=50Hz) + boosted bass region on aegir via loki eq.

p.s. As a reference point of normal (for me) bass I use schiit asgard 3 + beyerdynamics dt 990 pro.

Edited by veselik

Hi Roman and Vaselik

Very interesting outcomes after such a short period. A real pity to hear you feel the need to sell the units.

The way Stereophile wrote up the sound of the Aegir and put it class A made it appear a perfect combination for all small scale speakers of reasonable efficiency.

But long term listening shows up its faults...a lack of bass delivery is a deal breaker for me.

I have been experimenting with my 2a3 amp which sounds wonderful, but is only 4w per side. Slightly recessed in the trebble but sweet through the mids and bass although not earth shaking.

Funny, we had a party last week, and a friend asked me to turn it up but it was already at max volume !!

So its not a long term option either....back to the NAD Mosfet / Saga pre option this weekend until i pick my next amp victim..😀