Jacob Collier- genius or show off?

blybo

A tertiary trained muso friend of mine made me watch a few you tube videos of this guy and it's deeply impressive if you appreciate the building blocks of music. I guess I'm a bit late to the party. I can't yet decide if I think he is a genius or just a guy with a great vocal control that can see/visualise music in a different way to most. I suspect opinions will vary greatly depending on members "knowledge" of how to build a piece of music, or simply like me, a music fan.

It does not stand to reason to me that he could be "on the spectrum" but aspects of his thinking appear to follow traits of high functioning individuals. I guess this leads me to a broader question of whether people on the spectrum can also be highly creative???

What say you?

• Like 1

people on the spectrum ARE highly creative given the right circumstances, it could be only a small window of creativity/functionality for some, but others who are more socially adept, the window  is greater

• Like 1

Enjoyed this very much.  Never heard of him before, but will be looking him up for sure.  The white boy got tha funk., and it looks very natural and soooo much fun.

2 hours ago, blybo said:

I guess this leads me to a broader question of whether people on the spectrum can also be highly creative???

I don't know enough to write too much about this.  My instinct tells me 'Yes', if provided the opportunity.

I believe people that have a difficult or traumatic childhood are often highly creative too. 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

On 16/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Enjoyed this very much.  Never heard of him before, but will be looking him up for sure.  The white boy got tha funk., and it looks very natural and soooo much fun.

I don't know enough to write too much about this.  My instinct tells me 'Yes', if provided the opportunity.

I believe people that have a difficult or traumatic childhood are often highly creative too. 

I don’t know enough either, and am cautious about labeling people. From watching videos of Jacob accepting his 2 Grammy’s his social skills appear “on spectrum “ however he appears socially confident and at ease when performing to a crowd when in his element. 

without passing any judgment I’d be interested to hear from @Luc and his thoughts regarding creativity whilst being on the spectrum. I know this is the new socially acceptable term however I personally feel it puts those with milder autistic tendencies in a less desirable (probably poor term) camp. 

I have a few high functioning close friends who are on the spectrum but they are not creative at all, at least not by socially accepted definitions. 

I find Jacob fascinating but I don’t enjoy his original musical creations. Maybe that’s my lack of musical understanding 

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 11:34 PM, wen said:

what is musical understanding?/ appreciation,

By my definition, understanding is being aware of how a song has been created or in this case "built". From how my mate describes it Jacob Colliers brilliance is by creating incredibly complex chords by adding heaps of vocal and instrumental layers to the original vocal track. I'm no musician but it sounds very impressive, I'm just not sure I enjoy it. I  wonder if at his young age (23 now I believe) he is already starting to mature and be less "showy" with the newer releases, something I've noticed of other young solo artists I've followed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, mrbuzzardstubble said:

That was pretty good. Better than Kanye.  :)

Just be careful not to upset people by appearing to disrespect Kanye.

I can see how you draw a comparison though. Not so much about being on the spectrum, but the level of production on this clip and music.

If I may draw a crude analogy, it reminds me of the dogs barking to create Christmas tunes. Too overworked for me to enjoy. YMMV.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

I can see how you draw a comparison though. Not so much about being on the spectrum, but the level of production on this clip and music.

If I may draw a crude analogy, it reminds me of the dogs barking to create Christmas tunes. Too overworked for me to enjoy. YMMV.

Yeah I don't enjoy it either but my muso friend is in awe of his ability. The fact that his natural voice sounds like it's been run through an auto tune software probably doesn't help me either, it's much deeper than you would expect for a slightly built guy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

I'm slightly rattled by the lip-synch or lack of it, in addition to the lack of natural timbre/ over-production in the voice.

Listen to another video where he speaks and it's quite disconcerting but is his real voice. Certainly not what you expect him to sound like though. The lip-synch being way off is because each face is signing a different "part" of the vocal chord

• Like 1

I saw him live at the Brisbane Festival a couple of months ago. First we found it interesting but the excitement soon wore off.  What was really impressive was how he could get a huge young crowd (full house at QPAC) to do whatever he asked them to do and sang along. The way he worked the crowd was much like Freddie Mercury at Live Aid! The crowd certainly felt like majority his dedicated fans. He also played a lot of different instruments live. However the show come across too showy and all over the place. We stayed for about an hour and left.

He is certainly talented and still young, loves experimenting and tend to do too much. I hope someday he will find his footing and become a great musician. 

Edited by MoveD
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, MoveD said:

I saw him live at the Brisbane Festival a couple of months ago. First we found it interesting but the excitement soon wore off.  What was really impressive was how he could get a huge young crowd (full house at QPAC) to do whatever he asked them to do and sang along. The way he worked the crowd was much like Freddie Mercury at Live Aid! The crowd certainly felt like majority his dedicated fans. He also played a lot of different instruments live. However the show come across too showy and all over the place. We stayed for about an hour and left.

He is certainly talented and still young, loves experimenting and tend to do too much. I hope someday he will find his footing and become a great musician. 

Some of that video footage was taken at QPAC according to the info under the clip.

• Like 1

He's interesting to many of the under 25's - by that I mean I mean he uses the web very well to showcase his expertise as a multi instrumentalist/ music theory snake oil hustler.

I like him -mostly. But he's not the be-all and end all.