Sonus Faber or dynaudio?

As many people have read my post on being burgled a few weeks back it's time to consider a new system. And where best to start than with the speakers.

I am using a spare power amp that I had ar work (yamaha p2200). At the moment until insurance is covered and I get another bryston or possibly naim.

The p2200 is surprisingly amazing. For what it is.

So I'm looking into two brands of speakers, sonus Faber and dynaudio. I have had a listen to numerous pairs of both brands and am loving them both. Not sure if sonus Faber aesthetics are playing a part on how they sound to me though..

What is everyone's opinions? I am limiting myself to $3000 and doesn't matter if it is stand mount or floors randers.

Also doesn't matter if new or used. Just hoping to find a bargain.

• Love 1

Offer the guy on gumtree selling the Guarneri Homages $2000. He doesn't have the stands and they have a few marks but at 2k that would be a seriously good stand mount.      

They are in Sydney too.

Edited by kelossus

On 16/11/2019 at 8:26 PM, kelossus said:

Offer the guy on gumtree selling the Guarneri Homages $2000. He doesn't have the stands and they have a few marks but at 2k that would be a seriously good stand mount.      

They are in Sydney too.

Yeh I saw those. They are really banged up in almost all panels. Shame that someone would treat 10k+ speakers like that. 

I'm going to talk to a restoration expert and see what they would cost the restore back to sonus Faber beauty. 

36 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Yeh I saw those. They are really banged up in almost all panels. Shame that someone would treat 10k+ speakers like that. 

I'm going to talk to a restoration expert and see what they would cost the restore back to sonus Faber beauty. 

The finish is a few mm thick on timber portion of the cabinets. I imagine you could cut back the finish enough to bring them back to mint condition. The black portion could just be resprayed.

I had a par of Guarneri Mementos that had a severely bad dent. The finsh was shattered and the timber was crushed. A furniture restorer was able able to repair them and you could barely notice it. They even replicated the fully locked 100% gloss sheen. Only cost a few hundred.

There is nothing on those Guarneri's remotely like the damaged pair I had. As long the as the drivers are good the sound will be there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I am not the most familiar with older Sonus models but I didn't really like current models until the Olympica range and they're a bit over budget. The above suggestion would be a no brainer though

These are both bargains but with 3k to spend maybe you can spend the extra and get close to end game speakers in heaps of different brands that pop up on here. I could happily live with either of these If keeping with Bryston or Naim you really can drive some good speakers properly.

From memory of your post though I think you are a bit of a muso? I absolutely love Dyn but some models don't do loud. Best to check that if it might be a concern.

9 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

I am not the most familiar with older Sonus models but I didn't really like current models until the Olympica range and they're a bit over budget. The above suggestion would be a no brainer though

These are both bargains but with 3k to spend maybe you can spend the extra and get close to end game speakers in heaps of different brands that pop up on here. I could happily live with either of these If keeping with Bryston or Naim you really can drive some good speakers properly.

From memory of your post though I think you are a bit of a muso? I absolutely love Dyn but some models don't do loud. Best to check that if it might be a concern.

I am going to take photos of this particular room today and post them. I know everyone is going to say that the room deserves some big tannoy but I just can't afford them. 

A dark mahogany type timber would be best, just going purely on looks to begin with and then the best possible sound quality I can get within the price range. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, anewmission said:

The p2200 is surprisingly amazing. For what it is

Best vintage buy 200w 2ohm spec power amp around can be found for as low as $250 and built like tanks with massive toroid and coke can size power caps seen below 

DBF01B65-9986-4778-B5D2-C960186FEE40.jpeg

Edited by Al.M

59 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Best vintage buy 200w 2ohm spec power amp around can be found for as low as $250 and built like tanks with massive toroid and coke can size power caps seen below 

DBF01B65-9986-4778-B5D2-C960186FEE40.jpeg

Yeh I have two. One really rough I bought for $150 and one mint I bought for $950

Yes the filter caps are the size of coke cans and has beautiful big vu metres. Not only that but it has two alps black beauty stepped attenuators. Which go for $100usd each second hand on ebay! 

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a third or even fourth and eventually have them in a rack mount in the cupboard for a huge 7 channel setup.. 

I use one to power the second version of the NS10M studio monitors, they say they are a perfect match. And I will be happy to compare the p2200/NS10M combo with anyone's powered monitors below 5k

People hate yamaha ns10s, but they sound pretty darn good to me. 

7 hours ago, anewmission said:

Yeh I have two

Yes I have two P2100 which are the same minus the VU meters and use them for DIY speakers with triamp crossover. They are reflect for these as the volume pots  adjust levels nicely.

Due to their age the power and other caps would likely have gone off spec so it would be good to hear the difference with fresh caps. Has anyone heard the difference, it may improve the sharpness in sound.

Edited by Al.M

Yeh the caps would have almost definitely need replacing by now if they are still the originals. I guess depends on if the amps were used on the road for touring.. Like I said, one of mine I got for $150, the caps were completely dried out. Can't believe it was still working so well. 

The other was in someone's rack and never moved for 40 years and the caps are totally fine. 

One thing with these amps is there is no relay. Having one fitted is a good idea, 

The pc2002m which was the model after p2200/2201 does have a relay and also the ability to use in mono. 

I have heard a pc2002m before with the same speakers and I'm not sure why but it didn't sound quite as good. 

I think it looks even better though 

• Love 1

On 16/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, anewmission said:

As many people have read my post on being burgled a few weeks back it's time to consider a new system. And where best to start than with the speakers.

I am using a spare power amp that I had ar work (yamaha p2200). At the moment until insurance is covered and I get another bryston or possibly naim.

The p2200 is surprisingly amazing. For what it is.

So I'm looking into two brands of speakers, sonus Faber and dynaudio. I have had a listen to numerous pairs of both brands and am loving them both. Not sure if sonus Faber aesthetics are playing a part on how they sound to me though..

What is everyone's opinions? I am limiting myself to $3000 and doesn't matter if it is stand mount or floors randers.

Also doesn't matter if new or used. Just hoping to find a bargain.

The olympica 1 (stand mounted) sounded quite nice.

The Buchardt S400 has been doing the rounds on youtube with strong reviews.  If it were me, i'd take a punt on these.

Edited by keinesorge

Like everything all depends on the music you listen to and the model of speakers you are looking at or prepaid to pay for.  I have had both in various models,  but nothing over the  $3K mark second hand and none of the latest models.  Found Dynaudios are a great speaker all round and they are my preferred sound.  The  Sonus Fabers are  equally as good but if you like rock to hard rock -metal Dynas are the way to go.

Edited by Syrot

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve owned both SF and Dynaudio, as well as many others.

Often great speakers. As are my current KEF R3s.

But if I had just slightly more than your $3k budget I’d try and do a deal with West Coast HiFi on the Pioneer S2ex they had listed on SN. 

Basically they are the $40k TAD Evolution for $3.5k. Same drivers. Same crossover. Slightly different box.

15 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

I’ve owned both SF and Dynaudio, as well as many others.

Often great speakers. As are my current KEF R3s.

But if I had just slightly more than your $3k budget I’d try and do a deal with West Coast HiFi on the Pioneer S2ex they had listed on SN. 

Basically they are the $40k TAD Evolution for $3.5k. Same drivers. Same crossover. Slightly different box.

I cant find them

• 2 weeks later...