Short Throw Projectors - Optoma and Xiaomi

Hi all,

I’ve waded my way through the other short throw projector thread from a while back and Wow...

I will state - please don’t post in this thread about facts/thoughts/feelings on the different styles of projector available as that’s not what I’m asking.

What I would like to know is has anyone on the forum had experience with the Optoma P1 or a similar projector? If so, can I get recommendations on where to purchase in Perth or see one of these things in action.

Cheers,

Cam

Edited by caminperth

I'm not sure how these new breed of short throw like this Optima P1s stacks up to current ceiling mounted PJ, it does seems specs are improving, but given the choice I would imagine many would prefer this front placement rather than a ceiling mount, I know my partner would.

A few reviews here.

Edited by EZYHD

On 17/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, Tylerhk said:

I have been really interested at it but sorry to say the RRP here is simply ridiculous. 

Agreed.

Some further research has led me to an Xiaomi Miji 4k unit. They can be had landed here for around 3k or less and will put out an image up to 150inches if you need it.

I'll post back if I actually take the plunge on one of these units.

150".. no big deal really for a pj. problem with anything "landed here" is warranty. even with one that says it extends to aust. no way to enforce it.

best to wait for aust sellers, authorised, with a real aust warranty that comes under the aust consumer guaranty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caminperth said:

Agreed.

Some further research has led me to an Xiaomi Miji 4k unit. They can be had landed here for around 3k or less and will put out an image up to 150inches if you need it.

I'll post back if I actually take the plunge on one of these units.

around $3k for a grey import with known issues and lack of support locally at all ? 

id never suggest with something like a projector to ever do a grey import. these things are delicate and inevitably need help. projectors often turn up DOA let alone with some issue popping up down track. let alone as said above without any protection of your consumer rights when buying something going into the 1000s

especially when can pick up a brand new epson 9300w for $2799 from a legit local source with full service and support back up and warranty for 3 years and also 3 years on the lamp why take chance on something grey for same price or more ?

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/epson/epson-eh-tw9300w-wireless-home-theatre-projector-ehtw9300w.html

Thanks for the replies. Works out I can only really practically fit 100" in the space that I have.

13 hours ago, betty boop said:

around $3k for a grey import with known issues and lack of support locally at all ? 

id never suggest with something like a projector to ever do a grey import. these things are delicate and inevitably need help. projectors often turn up DOA let alone with some issue popping up down track. let alone as said above without any protection of your consumer rights when buying something going into the 1000s

especially when can pick up a brand new epson 9300w for $2799 from a legit local source with full service and support back up and warranty for 3 years and also 3 years on the lamp why take chance on something grey for same price or more ?

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/epson/epson-eh-tw9300w-wireless-home-theatre-projector-ehtw9300w.html

Grey import? I'm not sure that the product is actually locally available? Happy to be pointed to a local supplier if there is one.

Also, all products have issues, but point taken about the support and backup of a local supplier.

But, as I said at the start - ref below - please don't turn this into a discussion about differing tech. It's meant to be about UST projectors. I read through the entire other thread and learnt little aside from a lot of opinions about how other tech is superior.

On 16/11/2019 at 4:51 PM, caminperth said:

I’ve waded my way through the other short throw projector thread from a while back and Wow...

I will state - please don’t post in this thread about facts/thoughts/feelings on the different styles of projector available as that’s not what I’m asking.

Local pricing does seem on the high side for the Optoma, though to be fair we don't know what added costs they have to bring it into The Australian market. That said, further research shows me that the brand is probably a price point above what I'm after.

So has anyone actually have first hand experience with the Xiaomi Miji 4k unit? I realise it's relatively new so maybe not.

Edited by caminperth

Grey import in that there is NO local importer or distributor or even support . Will need to yourself Grey import it of grey seller.No local retailer going to be selling it to you or supporting it when have issues.

its totally up to you what to buy. Just letting know the bleeding obvious it’s not about making the thread anything, or getting combative, life’s too short for argumentative bouts with complete strangers on the inter web ...

100” is walk in the park for anything literally. In any case whether 100” or 150” it’s not size what do with it. A 150” can give same immersion as 100” depending viewing distance :)

What is the viewing distance ... will determine screen size needed for immersion and resolving different resolutions :)

On 22/11/2019 at 11:07 AM, betty boop said:

Grey import in that there is NO local importer or distributor or even support . Will need to yourself Grey import it of grey seller.No local retailer going to be selling it to you or supporting it when have issues.

Ah - my thoughts were that a grey import is something imported from another source when available locally. Importing something yourself should be done with eyes wide open and no complaints if things don't work out the way you'd hoped..

its totally up to you what to buy. Just letting know the bleeding obvious it’s not about making the thread anything, or getting combative, life’s too short for argumentative bouts with complete strangers on the inter web ...

It certainly is my choice - which is why I'm interested in discussing UST projectors only. It will suit my application much better than a TV and a standard projector certainly is out of the question.

Agreed - not wanting arguments, just wanting to focus on available UST units to learn more about them. Seems local experience is a little thin on the ground.

What is the viewing distance ... will determine screen size needed for immersion and resolving different resolutions :)

Viewing distance is around 3.5m.

On 22/11/2019 at 11:23 AM, WasM said:

what is OP's Screen choice? is it light rejection/grey setup?

Daytime viewing?

Screen choice would be something like this..

WWW.MYPROJECTORS.COM.AU

Elite Ambient Light Rejecting Fixed Projector Screens

Seems that daylight viewing can be achieved with these screens and the Xiaomi Miji 4k unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caminperth said:

Ah - my thoughts were that a grey import is something imported from another source when available locally. Importing something yourself should be done with eyes wide open and no complaints if things don't work out the way you'd hoped..

the problem ALWAYS with grey (call it what ever you want) is local warranty and support. I can tell you if you import grey wiht AV gear even if you have a local importer be aware some( and i know this from many's own personal experience ) might not want a bar off it . this is a significant issue with something in the $3k price point for most. whether you want to call it grey or not it is the local support and local warranty that IS the issue both I and other person were highlighting. 

It certainly is my choice - which is why I'm interested in discussing UST projectors only. It will suit my application much better than a TV and a standard projector certainly is out of the question.

Agreed - not wanting arguments, just wanting to focus on available UST units to learn more about them. Seems local experience is a little thin on the ground.

this would be in error as an approach as the types of screen sizes are walk in park for ANY projector rather than having to grey import or what ever you want to call it a problematic and unsupported (locally) device. local experience is likely very thin on the ground for this very reason I would suggest and given the very viable other options (not restricting to UST). even with locally sold UST brand that also sells front projectors I was told first hand in last discussion they basically sell next to none in UST for also the very reasons suggested. ITs not about an arguments its about whats viable. if a FP is at all viable, I woudl seriously consider it not only for available very valid choices but also for the better end results.

Viewing distance is around 3.5m.

i am not sure if aware but at that distance you will most definitely over resolve 1080p and while get some benefit with 4k, wont be in any means be fully resolving 4k at that distance. also if chasing immersion... would suggest sitting at 3m for immersion to THX spec... this will also give a bit more benefit for 4k :)

Seems that daylight viewing can be achieved with these screens and the Xiaomi Miji 4k unit.

have seen one of these in action ? would highly recommend it.... ie to see the combo in person to decide

@betty boop - thanks for the reply. Again, not sure how any of it helps myself or others reading this learn about UST. I'm sure your opinions are valid - just not relevant in this discussion.

Also - I never mentioned grey imports, I think you brought that term into the discussion... Let's not turn this thread into what the other one became.

@WasM - thanks - I'll have a chat with the boys at Frank Prowse.

All good! ?

• Like 2

I have purchased a Xiaomi Pro scooter from this place in Sydney and dealt with Ryan who was very helpful. The units carry local warranty and it’s brick and mortar store, experienced first hand. Have a chat to Ryan about both units and he will be able to give you a good idea about them.

Looks like they carry two models

WWW.PCMARKET.COM.AU

Xiaomi Mi Ultra Short throw 5000 ANSI Lumens Laser Projector - White - Xiaomi

WWW.PCMARKET.COM.AU

Xiaomi Mijia MJJGTYDS01FM 4K 5000 Lumen Ultra Short Throw Laser Projector - Xiaomi

Neo

Edited by Neo
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Neo said:

I have purchased a Xiaomi Pro scooter from this place in Sydney and dealt with Ryan who was very helpful. The units carry local warranty and it’s brick and mortar store, experienced first hand. Have a chat to Ryan about both units and he will be able to give you a good idea about them.

Looks like they carry two models

this is far better option than buying in from overseas. atleast here dealign with a bricks and mortar seller seller and with an ABN so have some consumer rights. ie if turns out to be lemon can get money back.though will have to go through the send in get fixed get back rigmarole  

• 2 months later...
On 22/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, caminperth said:

Thanks for the replies. Works out I can only really practically fit 100" in the space that I have.

Grey import? I'm not sure that the product is actually locally available? Happy to be pointed to a local supplier if there is one.

Also, all products have issues, but point taken about the support and backup of a local supplier.

But, as I said at the start - ref below - please don't turn this into a discussion about differing tech. It's meant to be about UST projectors. I read through the entire other thread and learnt little aside from a lot of opinions about how other tech is superior.

Local pricing does seem on the high side for the Optoma, though to be fair we don't know what added costs they have to bring it into The Australian market. That said, further research shows me that the brand is probably a price point above what I'm after.

So has anyone actually have first hand experience with the Xiaomi Miji 4k unit? I realise it's relatively new so maybe not.

Just ordered a WEMAX ONE Pro from Amazon Australia. I've a 110" fixed screen coming off eBay.  I expect it will be far nicer for movies than the 55" HiSense I currently have mounted  ;)

Delivery is Thursday for the projector though the screen will likely be next week.

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Just ordered a WEMAX ONE Pro from Amazon Australia. I've a 110" fixed screen coming off eBay.  I expect it will be far nicer for movies than the 55" HiSense I currently have mounted  ;)

Delivery is Thursday for the projector though the screen will likely be next week.

Awesome - looking forward to hearing about your experience with it. 

Also, from what I understand I believe that the ambient light rejection screens make a big difference with these projectors.

30 minutes ago, caminperth said:

Awesome - looking forward to hearing about your experience with it. 

Also, from what I understand I believe that the ambient light rejection screens make a big difference with these projectors.

I'll be using a cheap $180, 110" fixed screen off eBay unfortunately.  Nothing left in the budget for anything else.

I've some fairly major upgrades in my 2 channel setup recently. A new Abbas Esoteric Audio DAC, phono stage and Mutec MC-3+ Usb interface/reclocker.

• Like 1

Well, received the projector. Nice build quality, I've got it operating though really need to wait for my screen to be delivered next week. This weekend I hope to fill the holes left from the previous TV wall mount bracket. Can't really use without the screen as the walls are panelled. It does look impressive though.

I must say that the setup screen are pretty horrid though. I need to see whether there are any Android launchers that are better suited to projector use and get it to default to HDMI 1 when powered on then I'm happy.

If there is an upside it's that Android is nice and customizable to any limitations can be overcome with a little time and work.

• Like 1