Yamaha C-70 pre sold on the bay for under $300- Bargains are about...

15 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

Just on the option of the Topping D50 DAC - How would that work with my system in terms of connections?

Laptop > DAC > Receiver? 

Would I need additional cables?

The only thing you would need is an interconnect between the DAC and the AVR. These cheap Chinese DAC's are first rate in SQ, then you have a good source for your music. Your AVR might not be the be all and end all in amplification but the old adage applies garbage in garbage out.

Just to confirm, getting an integrated amp like has been suggested, would my AVR be kept as well, or the integrated amp replaces it?

You would still keep the avr for hdmi and video switching. Also use for other speakers. The integrate amp will be use to handle the left and right speakers. 

Perhaps this diagram will help 

image.png.98746644ca91c1fb8fb2d7d8927858ad.png

Interconnects and speaker wiring are all you can do within your current budget. The good thing is that the wiring can be carried to your next system. Eg, I'm still using my Monster Cable Interlink Reference (the first one that came out in the 80's) for my CD player. Have ab'd with others even solid silvers but it still sound the best. So after close on 40 years I'm still happy with the interconnect notwithstanding improvements elsewhere in my system. 

I'd go for a DAC with multiple inputs to maximise what you can get out of your current system. Plenty of options new and pre-loved , especially something with asynchronous USB input so yo play thru your laptop.

You could also consider adding a turntable and phono amp (if your amp hasn't got phono input). Now that is another rabbit hole that many of us still haven't got out of :)

20 hours ago, Tezzmond said:

I'd go for a DAC with multiple inputs to maximise what you can get out of your current system. Plenty of options new and pre-loved , especially something with asynchronous USB input so yo play thru your laptop.

You could also consider adding a turntable and phono amp (if your amp hasn't got phono input). Now that is another rabbit hole that many of us still haven't got out of :)

Thanks for the input - I am definitely considering starting with a DAC, as I assume it would be an upgrade on my Yamaha's current internal DAC? Even something like a Topping D50 as an example, I assume would be better?

Any suggestions for DAC's would be welcome.

Edit: Am I right in understanding, if I want to use an external DAC on my existing AV receiver, I need to hook it up through the RCA inputs. Hooking it up through the digital connection, will continue to use the receiver's built in DAC? How would something like an Apple TV 4 hook into all this, continuing to use the external DAC? 

Edited by Jovan.s1987