Guidance please

So... My current Setup is a Yamaha rx-v385 receiver, with 2x Jamo C91ii bookshelf speakers & a Paradigm PDR80 sub plugged in. My Apple TV is the source for my music & TV, through an 55" TV.

What improvements can I make hardware wise... I'm happy with the Setup, but always wanting more.

It's a open plan living apartment.

Not to be unkind. If you want to go to the next level, you wil need around 3k to get something decent new.  As Irek and bzr suggested be careful of the path you tread (loosely translated from Rabbit Hole). Once in never out.

Do some research and listen to the advise from people on StereoNet. We have all started from nothing and following their advice will go a long way. 

Go through the classifieds and buy 2nd hand, and you can put together a decent system for a couple of thou.

Do the traps of HiFi stores, that way you will know what great HiFi can sound like. Is it expensive... hell yer.

But great fun and enjoyment, and you have your whole life to get there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irek said:

Rabbit hole on one side and goosebumps on the other. I would recommend to save a little bit more, maybe something around $2000 before starting shopping.  

Agreed.

$2K would be a bare minimum and you would need to buy used. Don't even think about buying new for that budget. a lot also depends on what exactly you want to achieve and by what method ( source ) you want the music delivered.

If I were the OP, I would be waiting and saving while keeping eyes open to for sale listings here.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

Noted on all points.

Can you guys suggest what these hardware improvements would be that I should start thinking about? 

I'm definitely more focused toward music listening, with the TV/movies a secondary. 

I'm happy using my Apple TV as the source to play the music, I do however use a Windows laptop, so getting music from the laptop directly would be nice down the track. I don't particularly like using Bluetooth at the moment.

Kind of in the rabbit hole with headphones already unfortunately/fortunately.

if you haven’t already....... Minor tweaks such as proper speaker placement to listening position and dampening the open space living room usually brings in great improvements- i did frames on walls, moved speakers away from the walls and cabinet & added rugs and it changed the sound.

and you won’t need to spend $2K

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

I'm happy using my Apple TV as the source to play the music, I do however use a Windows laptop, so getting music from the laptop directly would be nice down the track. I don't particularly like using Bluetooth at the moment.

A lot of people never hear what their system is capable of, so if you want to use your laptop why not buy a USB DAC? You can get them new for well under your $500.00 budget, a Topping D50 for example is around half that, this way you will have a good source and can then worry about upgrading what's upstream later on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, misternavi said:

if you haven’t already....... Minor tweaks such as proper speaker placement to listening position and dampening the open space living room usually brings in great improvements- i did frames on walls, moved speakers away from the walls and cabinet & added rugs and it changed the sound.

Yeah sorted speaker placement etc already. Luckily I already have carpet, so I don't find the sub is shaking the place. In saying that, I have it tuned so you can notice the bass, but it doesn't overpower.

Thinking a rug is next.

7 hours ago, misternavi said:

Yeah sorted speaker placement etc already. Luckily I already have carpet, so I don't find the sub is shaking the place. In saying that, I have it tuned so you can notice the bass, but it doesn't overpower.

Thinking a rug is next.

Consider vintage? Yamaha CA-800, Kenwood KA-7100, Sansui AU505/555A... and plenty of others to be had around $400-$600 depending on refurbished??? Alternatively getting a better RX-V or RX-A

I would go for a used integrated amp with a build in dac, there is one for sale now for $1000 ono (no affiliation), 

I know this is little over your budget, however, look for one closer to your budget and negotiate with the seller. Another option is the Emotiva Ta-100 (rrp $950), Cyrus on HD, keep an eye out for a used one. Maybe shop around for one with rrp around $1000 and look for a used one. 

I found an integrated amp improves the music listening over an AVR. It also gives you more punch and power for the movies. Win win .

Have fun and good luck finding the way out of the rabbit hole, the spoiler is "there is no exit."!!!

Setup would be

music = computer -> integrated amp -> speakers

movie = avr -> integrated amp -> speakers. 

Edited by Soundfever

5 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

Just on the option of the Topping D50 DAC - How would that work with my system in terms of connections?

Laptop > DAC > Receiver? 

Would I need additional cables?

i don’t think the Topping will help much. it’s cheap enough to try! you are better off trying a new amp with topping DAC

buy 2nd hand and get yourself an int. amp in classifieds. The expensive thing is you’ll never know until you try it in your system.

FYI: i use the topping D50 (3rd  hand $190) into DIY B&O ice 125asx2 module ($320). Cheap and cheerful.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

Just on the option of the Topping D50 DAC - How would that work with my system in terms of connections?

Laptop > DAC > Receiver? 

Would I need additional cables?

The only thing you would need is an interconnect between the DAC and the AVR. These cheap Chinese DAC's are first rate in SQ, then you have a good source for your music. Your AVR might not be the be all and end all in amplification but the old adage applies garbage in garbage out.

• Like 1

Interconnects and speaker wiring are all you can do within your current budget. The good thing is that the wiring can be carried to your next system. Eg, I'm still using my Monster Cable Interlink Reference (the first one that came out in the 80's) for my CD player. Have ab'd with others even solid silvers but it still sound the best. So after close on 40 years I'm still happy with the interconnect notwithstanding improvements elsewhere in my system. 

I'd go for a DAC with multiple inputs to maximise what you can get out of your current system. Plenty of options new and pre-loved , especially something with asynchronous USB input so yo play thru your laptop.

You could also consider adding a turntable and phono amp (if your amp hasn't got phono input). Now that is another rabbit hole that many of us still haven't got out of :)

20 hours ago, Tezzmond said:

I'd go for a DAC with multiple inputs to maximise what you can get out of your current system. Plenty of options new and pre-loved , especially something with asynchronous USB input so yo play thru your laptop.

You could also consider adding a turntable and phono amp (if your amp hasn't got phono input). Now that is another rabbit hole that many of us still haven't got out of :)

Thanks for the input - I am definitely considering starting with a DAC, as I assume it would be an upgrade on my Yamaha's current internal DAC? Even something like a Topping D50 as an example, I assume would be better?

Any suggestions for DAC's would be welcome.

Edit: Am I right in understanding, if I want to use an external DAC on my existing AV receiver, I need to hook it up through the RCA inputs. Hooking it up through the digital connection, will continue to use the receiver's built in DAC? How would something like an Apple TV 4 hook into all this, continuing to use the external DAC? 

Edited by Jovan.s1987