Dropping Netflix for physical media

I have Netflix.....cant say I use it much.....neither do the kids.....I also have an unRaid server with my movie collection on it(disc's stored in a box in the shed).....use that non-stop....I love it....the kids love it....great sound.....great picture.....no ad's.....the streaming services are ok 'research' platforms but if I really want to enjoy watching something....I'll buy the physical media

Edited by Compass

11 hours ago, Hergest said:

I've got shelves full of dvds of films I watch again and again that I never tire of, quite a few of those dvds replaced videos so I've got films I've watched countless times for countless years. I can't see how anyone can watch a film on commercial free to air such as SBS with the constant advert interruptions whether during a break or scrolling across the bottom of a film during the action. Physical media is a wonderful thing. Yes it takes up a lot of room but who wants to sit in an empty room with nothing collected? It's like being in a dentist's waiting room. I love the clutter of books and records and tapes and dvds, it's part of my life.

Oh gee yeah! I had cable TV for a couple of years in the 90s. Station logos on shows was an abomination I could not tolerate. Free to air I stopped altogether in the late 90s when the shows started showing up on DVD, and FTA stations also started with this station logos bullxxxx. It has been over 20 years since I've watched anything other than physical media, and more recently a tiny bit of steaming. No regrets.

I still can't imagine the horror an autuer like David Lynch seeing one of his films on FTA, xxxxing station logos like some scribblings of a demented imbecile painted over his images, and then doubling up with a ADD induced scrolling advertisement popping up telling viewers of the new season of The Block starting next week... And then ad breaks. I refuse to support them.

At least steaming doesn't do this.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got rid of Foxtel because of the cost and limited offerings (as I'm not interested in sport).  I worked out that it would be cheaper to buy the physical media.  Except that after I got rid of Foxtel, I didn't buy more disks.  Eventually went to Netflix, and as I posted in another thread have been disappointed at the the limited offerings (esp. vintage movies and music), but found things to watch and enjoy, and it's affordable.

I do miss the extra features on DVD/BluRay, a Christmas BluRay movie gift was explained by the giver to have outtakes included which are reportedly worth the investment alone (Tarantino's ...Hollywood).  And I do tend to get music concerts on the physical media.

• Like 1

There was a article I read on the way to work on my phone last week, I'm pretty sure it was in the Guardian.

It was basically saying that streaming services are 'Locking Out' content into 'Vaults' and not allowing access to them for a period of time [could be years]

The case in point was made with Disneys new streaming service, and how some movies had been removed and are no longer available.....that's unless you pay for a 'Premium Service' that 'Might' unlock the movie you want to watch.

It was mentioned that since Disney has bought 20th Century FOX rights, movies like the ALIEN series etc, might suffer the same fate.

Thank GOD for JB HiFi 30% off disc sales till 1st of Jan.?

I just stocked up on 14 new movies and a couple of Box Sets [buy 1 get 1 free on Box sets ATM]

My current movie collection.

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Farcry

Edited by Tweaky
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tweaky said:

There was a article I read on the way to work on my phone last week, I'm pretty sure it was in the Guardian.

It was basically saying that streaming services are 'Locking Out' content into 'Vaults' and not allowing access to them for a period of time [could be years]

The case in point was made with Disneys new streaming service, and how some movies had been removed and are no longer available.....that's unless you pay for a 'Premium Service' that 'Might' unlock the movie you want to watch.

It was mentioned that since Disney has bought 20th Century FOX rights, movies like the ALIEN series etc, might suffer the same fate.

Thank GOD for JB HiFi 30% off disc sales till 1st of Jan.?

I just stocked up on 14 new movies and a couple of Box Sets [buy 1 get 1 free on Box sets ATM]

yes this is problem with the streaming services ...will control what have access to. and the various distribution rights across the universe will mean we will not be able to access something while can others ... criterion is a great example they dont stream here but will in the US meaning we basically miss out on everything they have to offer if only reliant on the streaming model. 

Guess the Torrent sites will start having heavy traffic again once people realize they are getting a 'Limited' service, and a disjointed one at that.

I don't know about how a lot of the older forum members feel, but I must admit to a little bit of smugness about how the STEAMING services are panning out.

I suspect it will all end in tears for those who have bought into it, much like people who have lost access to their music collections on the iPhone's due to changes to iTunes [ I had a sort of 'Drunken History' explanation given to me yesterday about it ?....I've never downloaded a song in my life, so it I'm not sure what happened ? with iTunes. always seemed like a suckers game to me, as did the first ever download music service that started in Australia by SONY.....that died because of crap artists and overpriced for the download's.

People will wise up and start want physical media again, and not just for the nostalgia factor, and OLD farts like we at this forum will be in great demand to set the systems up.

• Like 1

they just work on the same drug pusher model, out price and run out of town the competition ... eg the physical media libraries.... once there is no other alternative and we have them all signed up.....charge what ever the hell we want... 

what is great is we have huge slabs of public still going to the movies still... i hope to heck streaming doesnt run them out of town was well with limited or no release to actual box office ...

• Like 1

For me Netflix was never about movies, more the mini series that they do very well, same as STAN do.

If I want to watch a movie I use appleTV or occasionally buy a disk, either way I’m just glad there are other options rather than FOX which I was glad to see the back of.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Willco said:

Not really into Netflix -but watched  The Witcher to the end of Series 1--Henry Cavill  is terrific in the Role-superb production values

Recommended but be aware the Gore is full on⚔️!

Willco

I really enjoyed the Witcher as well.

At the other end of the spectrum I'm really enjoying the series The Crown.  I'm certainly not a monarchist but its got me hooked and really enjoying the history lesson with it.  

13 hours ago, Peter_F said:

I really enjoyed the Witcher as well.

At the other end of the spectrum I'm really enjoying the series The Crown.  I'm certainly not a monarchist but its got me hooked and really enjoying the history lesson with it.  

Yes The Witcher I'd call Game of Thrones Lite:lol:!

--tis pity Oz viewers have to watch some of the drivel served up-obviously 

geared to revenue/etc the there is some excellent series that never see light of day here-unless I've missed them.

Banshee/ Black Sails/ SS-GB/Chicago PD/Warrior/ Godless/Deadwood /etc

And we get Every one luvs Raymond--Sheeesh!

Willco

• 2 months later...

I was with you Al right up to the point where I have started to find faulty Blu-Ray discs amongst my collection that once worked fine (see my new thread). I wonder how many won't work now amongst the thousands. Physical media all ends up failing so I think it might be time for a couple of large drives and copy everything on to them., with one as backup.

On 12/03/2020 at 2:03 PM, SDL said:

I was with you Al right up to the point where I have started to find faulty Blu-Ray discs amongst my collection that once worked fine (see my new thread). I wonder how many won't work now amongst the thousands. Physical media all ends up failing so I think it might be time for a couple of large drives and copy everything on to them., with one as backup.

Well recently I processed a large portion of my library for bass equalization audio processing (see over on AVS forum the BEQ thread) and oddly only came across about 4 discs out of over a thousand that had issues. I just purchased replacements. OOP ones are another question though, and I guess backing those up more permanently is a good idea. I don't have the storage for keeping anything though, and looking into it, I'd be looking at a phenomenal cost to do it right (eg setting up pc URAID or even an off the shelf raid solution, where you have redundancy and can swap a faulty drive). A lot of money. Eg probably 5-6k. In comparison the cost of replacing the odd disc is so miniscule in comparison and less effort, setup AND ongoing maintenance AND the time needed, I just can't justify digitizing it all. If all you are doing is backing up to some form of hard drive and hoping for the best, the life expectancy is got to be way less than pressed media.

Netflix has its place for me in the lounge room but for the Theatre room I have always preferred the disc.I can get the best possible sound and video from a disc that Netflix just can’t give me.The average consumer does not realise this as their knowledge is limited by their lack of interest.I have found that in this hobby.of mine, the more you know, the deeper I get into it. I like to dictate my sound and video rather than have an internet connection do it for me. I like Netflix, but to a point.I have had my theatre room setup for the past 18+ years now and I know one thing for sure and that is Netflix and the like won’t be invited in any time soon.I love my home theatre too much.

• Love 1

I guess streaming is equivalent to fast food or all you can eat buffet.

The consumer doesn’t care much about the experience, quality and what they are digesting. Streaming platforms appear to offer good value with lots of choice. So take the big family with kids/teenagers to buffet and reserve your fine dining with someone who appreciates the experience. 

• Love 1

Now that Netflix is looking at dropping their streaming bandwidth in Australia to possibly SD, due to the Coronavirus, this will be the dealbreaker for me. I have been a premium subscriber paying maximum fee for 4K content for a long long time. I have been questioning the content value I have been getting over the last year - per Als original post.  Prime might follow suit it seems so I might drop that too. After the virus wave passes I might never go back. Will stay with Apple TV/ iTunes for rentals and buy more discs.

• Love 1

I am in Terry-O's camp, I rarely watch a film on Netflix,  I prefer the long TV series but even there I am a bit picky. I have quite a few films on DVD  /Bluray, the vast majority of them I have watched a number of times and continue to do so. I have a pretty good library of Shakespeare's plays for instance in various versions.

On the plane back from Europe recently given the vast array of new films I still found myself watching and totally enjoying Bogart and Bacall in The Big Sleep.  I have seen it innumerable times, have it on DVD and still found something new and refreshing and immensely enjoyable in it at 40K feet.

Storage space is a pain, but I bought back 5 DVD's from Europe of films and TV that I know I will never see here in any kind of broadcast format or in the cinema.

17 hours ago, att23 said:

I guess streaming is equivalent to fast food or all you can eat buffet.

The consumer doesn’t care much about the experience, quality and what they are digesting. Streaming platforms appear to offer good value with lots of choice. So take the big family with kids/teenagers to buffet and reserve your fine dining with someone who appreciates the experience. 

200%

I have nothing against it and it is 1000000000 times better than the utter trash that broadcast TV and the cable tv that was available for me growing up. And that is what I see it replacing fantastically.

But for my 4k projector HT Atmos setup, it isn't even as good as Blu Ray. I bought Man from Uncle on iTunes as it was 4k. I got about 10 minutes in and stopped and went to the Blu Ray. And I have a premium NBN connection Apple TV hardwired to the router, so please don't start any bandwidth arguments. And you know what? Xxxx bandwidth arguments. If I could download on my proprietary Apple TV hardware at a decent quality, it might be better. But I can't. They only let me do on mobile. Same as Netflix and Prime. Xxxxking xxxholes. I can download on a phone, but not Apple HT gear. XXXX you. You suck. You are scum..