Sign in to follow this  
Who42

CYBERNET Hi Fi

Cybernet very rare  70s Hi Fi aimed at the pro audio market.

One of the best sounds I heard from a receiver ... and I have listened to enough!

If you have the opportunity to purchase these devices, do not hesitate Very beautiful CA-60, CA 110 ,CA 200 all have very good sound. 
Very detailed deep powerful sound with many different sources.

Let me know what you think My setup with the ELAC speakers.

hqdefault.jpg

DSCN1174.JPG

CYBERNET CA60.jpg

cybernet-crd-15.jpg

CYBERNET CA110.jpg

CYBERNET CA110a.jpg

CYBERNET CA200.jpg

CR 200.jpg

img_2210.jpg

Very interesting indeed! Cybernet gear is not that common in Australia. 

Regarding the gear being aimed at the pro market... I’d take that with a grain of salt. A lot of gear of this era came with integrated or optional rack handles for installation in domestic audio racks, or to give the ‘pro’ look.  The Cybernet gear was very much ‘consumer-spec’ and this is exemplified by the internal build quality and the choice of using modular ‘power-pack’ output devices (cost-cutting) instead of a proper discrete output stage. 

Notwithstanding the above, if she sounds good, then she is good! :)

Cybernet using modular ‘power-pack’ output devices these have some very good and distinctive properties. 1 the hole output stage remands the same temperature its enclosed less noise . 2 The parts are close together like a PC less stray wiring  . 3  Distortion is less than  .03 and noise is very low. I tested my Cybernet and after 45 year's it still came up to or exceeded  specs

Stk2025-ModuleOutput-Stage-Of-Af-Power-Amp.jpg

57 minutes ago, Who42 said:

Cybernet using modular ‘power-pack’ output devices these have some very good and distinctive properties. 1 the hole output stage remands the same temperature its enclosed less noise . 2 The parts are close together like a PC less stray wiring  . 3  Distortion is less than  .03 and noise is very low. I tested my Cybernet and after 45 year's it still came up to or exceeded  specs

Stk2025-ModuleOutput-Stage-Of-Af-Power-Amp.jpg

STKs were only ever used to simplify amplifier design and construction - they are a compromise and offer no performance benefits over a well designed discrete amplifier.

I'm sure the gear sounds good (and I'm glad you like it... this not an attack on your choice of gear!) but it's not correct to say that it was aimed for the pro audio market. There was never any demand or viable market in 'professional' audio circles for a 30WPC integrated amplifier using STK outputs and with the usual raft of inputs and outputs found on any domestic integrated amplifier of the period.

There's a lot more to 'pro' gear than throwing simply rack handles on it. ;) 

In the early 70s & 80s I owned and ran a company called ALLEN PA & LIGHTING When I did corporate gigs I used CA 110 & CA 200 I used in  bi amp configuration with  4350 JBL monitors for the sound. The CA 110 is still the only amp I have ever seen that has 2 microphones mixer and source mixing all at once plus bass mid & tremble plus VU meters. 2 PHONO  2 AUX 3 Tape inputs. if that wasn't  pro at the time show me a better more compact  easy to set up ,easy to operate.  I easerly had the best sounding corporate sound system in Australia at the time. I also  used YAMAHA NS 1000s for smaller gigs and just the CA 110 amp

When other company's used Rola s speakers and Eminar pa head

After nearly 40 years later its all still working that's pro built to last 

IMGP0003 (2).JPG

JBL 4350.jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

Edited by Who42

On these cybernet boxes, their input and output connections,  were they designed for nominal -10dBV signal levels, or +4dBu signal levels?

They were designed with venerable levels-10dBV signal levels, to +4dBu signal levels on some inputs to match different sources plus you can separate main amp and pre amp to insert different devices , I have never seen so many options on any other amp.So for me it was a great find we even installed these amps in shopping centers and Pubs for public addresses  for music and voice overs these left TOA systems for dead we even made our own ceiling  speakers from 8" woofer and Philips dome tweeter . The  speakers for the ceiling  sounded great

Edited by Who42

7 hours ago, Who42 said:

In the early 70s & 80s I owned and ran a company called ALLEN PA & LIGHTING When I did corporate gigs I used CA 110 & CA 200 I used in  bi amp configuration with  4350 JBL monitors for the sound. The CA 110 is still the only amp I have ever seen that has 2 microphones mixer and source mixing all at once plus bass mid & tremble plus VU meters. 2 PHONO  2 AUX 3 Tape inputs. if that wasn't  pro at the time show me a better more compact  easy to set up ,easy to operate.  I easerly had the best sounding corporate sound system in Australia at the time. I also  used YAMAHA NS 1000s for smaller gigs and just the CA 110 amp

When other company's used Rola s speakers and Eminar pa head

After nearly 40 years later its all still working that's pro built to last

Very cool indeed!! I'm not surprised that your setup sounded very good - clean sounding amplification with relatively efficient hifi speakers is a good starting point for nice sound. MUCH nicer than the Rola/Eminar combo that you mentioned, that's for sure - so much easier on the ears! So long as the gear is used within its power/volume limits, the right kind of hifi gear can sound very good in this kind of application.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one, as I feel there is a difference between gear specifically designed for pro use, and domestic gear which includes pro-style features such as the Cybernet but is constructed to domestic standard, but just happens to work well. In my travels I've come across nothing which suggests that Cybernet ever marketed any of their gear in pro audio circles, but of course I am happy to be proven wrong!

I agree 100% that the Cybernet integrated amplifier has interesting features which provides enhanced functionality vs your average domestic hifi amp of the period, but does that make it pro? I'm a Sansui nutter and they made the versatile AX-7 audio mixer to accompany amps like the AU-717, AU-919, and BA/CA-F1 power-pre combo to provide added flexibility for the home user who might also dabble with some recording. Like the Cybernet, I'm sure it was capable of being used in a pro context if someone really wanted to do so, but was it designed and manufactured as pro gear? Not on your life. Design/manufacture/marketing intentions vs how someone has used the gear are two different things.

sansui%20ax7.jpg

sansuiax3.jpg

The big Cybernet CA-200 looks like a nice bit of kit - dual mono configuration, twin transformers, and proper output devices. Very nice indeed!

The internals of the CA-200 are bottom-left of this pic:

unbenannt_468188.jpg

Edited by pete_mac

Whoops... I completely forgot to ask how the Cybernet sounds with the ELACs? They are a nice little speaker!

Andrew Jones he my hero as fare as speakers go ELACs  they sound great far better than there sises suggests I love them . I uploaded a photo of some of my DIY speakers the tall set are my transmission line design speakers . They sound Great with Focal . JBL parts           

DSCN1113 - Copy.JPG

Very nice!! So good to see a fellow audio nutter who has caught 'the sickness' like many of us here!

DSCN1183.thumb.JPG.ddb81449efde1acd9008288283ebc369.JPGLike minds I love SANSUI a photo of my AU-717 set up I restored every thing my self.

38 minutes ago, Who42 said:

Like minds I love SANSUI a photo of my AU-717 set up I restored every thing my self.

Nice - the AU/TU-717 are great!

Big fan of the Sansuis!

This is one of the wings of the Sydney Sansui Museum...

Rack-o-Sui.jpg

Edited by pete_mac