VIFA SA 100 kit.

kiwi69

20191116_141206.thumb.jpg.532fc25fa6d6d4d1db9c1b65b652fa5a.jpgHi all would anyone out there 

Have all the specs for this kit  the vifa SA-100 enclosure port size crossover an so on.

It was a great speaker I have the 8" W21. But thinking of a upgrade on the tweeter! Any help would be much appreciated and one's I start the project I will keep you all posted 

Thanks.

Just to add any thoughts on changing the design a little instead of a speaker that sits on a stand I would much prefer a towel arrangement slightly narrower front panel and slightly deeper enclosure but equal enclosure size 50 litres if my memory is right? Seems a lot. Only because I think the tower just looks way better.

I do understand by doing this may change the characteristics of the speakers performance but not to sure how much. 

Just thought I would add a photo of speakers I built many years ago 

With the scanspeak 21w/8554 and D28 dynaudio... just enjoy building 

Hifi speakers keeps the mind ticking. 

Edited by kiwi69
Up date

15 hours ago, surprisetech said:

I only have info on the SA-130 3-way.

There's a little bit of info here down at the bottom of the post:

Or you can get it from Silicon Chip shop for $10 if you have no luck here:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/17

Hi yes I did see the info on the SA-100 here for sale the crossover there is handy just wondering how much information siliconchip has? thank you for you reply a great starting point ?

11 hours ago, Gregor said:

I have the original article somewhere in my library(i will look),  you could also try tom manning at speaker bits as he was the designer. Greg 

Hi Greg that would be great! 

Yes I do remember Tom from scan audio in the 90s and didn't realize he was the designer by memory they had a show room with all the SA series there and the 100s where the best in my opinion just a great all rounder for any types of music. They did do dynaudio as well.

I really don't know what has happened to Tom and speakerbits it's like they just disappeared not sure maybe wrong.

Cheers Warren.

Hi Warren, i have looked for the article but didnt find it sorry. i did find the sa130 plans but that doesnt help. what i can do is check with my brother as he has 2 pairs of the sa100 still in use, and now i think about it I may have given him the plans. any way i can get the info, it might take a few days. I know the sa100 cabinets were  42lt volume but i cant remember the tuning. I haven't dealt with Tom for a few years, sorry he's gone.  Greg 

8 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Hi Warren, i have looked for the article but didnt find it sorry. i did find the sa130 plans but that doesnt help. what i can do is check with my brother as he has 2 pairs of the sa100 still in use, and now i think about it I may have given him the plans. any way i can get the info, it might take a few days. I know the sa100 cabinets were  42lt volume but i cant remember the tuning. I haven't dealt with Tom for a few years, sorry he's gone.  Greg 

Thankyou Greg that would great that's right 42lt. Not 50.

Love to do the build with my son think he has the bug poor bugger $$$$$$ lol. And yeah really don't know what happened to Tom? 

May have sold! 

Cheers Greg.

I had professional advice to change the Vifa D19 tweeter with Scan Speak's "Classic" series D2008/851200. It made a great improvement, with no change necessary to the crossovers.

This was on 2 versions of the SA-130, but I'm sure the same would apply to yours.

The D19 membrane reminds me of bats' wings.

15 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Changing the baffle shape will likely need tweaks to driver placement and crossover to make it gel.   Changing the tweeter is going to need a whole new crossover design.

The tweeter that went in the 100s 

By memory was the vifa D25 soft dome very hard to find now the replacement I was thinking of is the scanspeak D2606/92000 or 92200 

They both have very similar specs

With 6 ohm impedance! As far as the baffle go,s it would be slightly narrower with the same layout don't think there is much more you can do unless slipping the tweeter a little closer to the mid bass.

Oh and the baffle with a 25 degree edge

To them. 

Thanks for your input any other advice would be great 

Cheers.

13 hours ago, BioBrian said:

I had professional advice to change the Vifa D19 tweeter with Scan Speak's "Classic" series D2008/851200. It made a great improvement, with no change necessary to the crossovers.

This was on 2 versions of the SA-130, but I'm sure the same would apply to yours.

The D19 membrane reminds me of bats' wings.

It is a strange looking thing alright 

I would be doing the scanspeak tweeter also with very similar specs 

To D25 soft dome. 

On 15/11/2019 at 4:47 PM, surprisetech said:

I only have info on the SA-130 3-way.

There's a little bit of info here down at the bottom of the post:

Or you can get it from Silicon Chip shop for $10 if you have no luck here:

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Shop/17

Yeah that post was mine. I remember being surprised by them. I think they were quite clear and lively and bass was nice from memory. A tad shrill on the highs after a while, though that could have been the transistor amp I was using at the time. I have the silicone chip paper downloaded somewhere can have a look around if needed. 

On 16/11/2019 at 8:50 AM, kiwi69 said:

Hi yes I did see the info on the SA-100 here for sale the crossover there is handy just wondering how much information siliconchip has? thank you for you reply a great starting point ?

If you finish up needing to purchase the Silicon Chip article, I'm pretty sure you get the whole construction project details.

19 hours ago, surprisetech said:

If you finish up needing to purchase the Silicon Chip article, I'm pretty sure you get the whole construction project details.

Hi yes you right it was all there 

Thanks so if anyone would like the details for the SA-100 let me know.

Also if all you speaker pros out there have any advice on improving the 100s that would be much appreciated thankyou all.

6 minutes ago, Gregor said:

Great, it sounds like you have all the info now, my brother just msg me back with the port dimensions (a bit late sorry)

No problem at all thanks for looking into it for me. 

I have a pair of SA-130 speakers but I have lost any and all details of the build.   I seem to recall I bought them as a kit from Jaycar (a million years ago when I was young).

They haven't been hooked up to anything for quite a while, I don't have a amplifier .. don't have a TV either.  I don't want to throw them out though because they seemed like nice speakers, and would cost a fair bit to replace them.

I saw that Silicon Chip has archive info on the SA-100 but I couldn't seem to find anything on the SA-130.

If someone could wing a copy of the details on the SA-130's my way that would be awesome, or point me to any articles online.  

Regards, Grumpy Tony. (Grumpy because he doesn't have a hifi system to cheer him up)

On 29/11/2019 at 6:32 PM, Grumpy Tony said:

If someone could wing a copy of the details on the SA-130's my way that would be awesome, or point me to any articles online. 

Hi Grumpy, i do have a photo cope of the sa130 article, pm me with your email and ill send a copy. Greg

On 01/12/2019 at 5:53 PM, Gregor said:

Hi Grumpy, i do have a photo cope of the sa130 article, pm me with your email and ill send a copy. Greg

G'dday Greg,

I pm'ed you with my email address.  That would be awesomely awesome.   Thanks, Tony.