Sonic havens: how we use music to make ourselves feel at home

Sonic havens: how we use music to make ourselves feel at home

Hi, I came across this research article about how non-audiophiles use music. It makes some interesting points about how people 'use' or 'consume' music that could help inform the audiophile community & perhaps bridge the gap between the general public & the audiophile community.

file-20191113-37415-16ig9wd.jpg

I thought the description of the young person immersing in music in his/her bedroom was similar to audiophile's listening. 

If the audiophile is fortunate, he/she has their own listening room - a separate "sonic haven".  If the audiophile's system is in a share space (eg. living room), part of the "sonic haven" is achieved though the immersive experience facilitated by high-quality reproduction. 

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

I thought the description of the young person immersing in music in his/her bedroom was similar to audiophile's listening. 

If the audiophile is fortunate, he/she has their own listening room - a separate "sonic haven".  If the audiophile's system is in a share space (eg. living room), part of the "sonic haven" is achieved though the immersive experience facilitated by high-quality reproduction. 

I tend to agree, when I was a teen I listened in my room cause it was quiet and my own space, doesn’t mean I didn’t want some decent gear in there.  As a young person you work with what you can get or afford, in those days a portable radio/cassette deck.  

Later upgraded to a portable CD deck.

i would still listen to my dads record player but as that was in the lounge it wasn’t always available.

• Like 1