Technics in Aus - 1500C

6 minutes ago, April Snow said:

A big upgrade from the Audio Technica LP1200 USB  which was great to cut my teeth on as a newbie for three months before making a big commitment to the hobby.

Technics was set up with the help  & advice of a Stereonet forum pal (they rather hide their light under a bushel but I am truly grateful as I could not have done this on my own) ?

Not a big upgrade. A gigantic upgrade. Good on you April:thumb: Enjoy heaps more LP's now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

Woah, very very nice April! Let us know how the 2M Red is sounding and keep all the original packaging!

It is a Bronze (photo must be looking like a red?) - I shall add that in my post (thank you) - and yes, have kept all the original packaging ?

Edited by April Snow

15 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

@April Snow: sorry I'm as blind as a bat! The Bronze is supposed to be a big upgrade on the Red.

@MarkT: what's your cartridge and how is it? The black looks very nice too!

What a tough decision that'd be!

@josh0571 no worries - sometimes hard to tell on monitors. I was going to go with the Blue but my "helper" suggested the Bronze better so trusted him on that one (and glad I did). 

I almost switched to the Black GR1210 when I saw it IRL too - it is beautiful, but stuck with my original choice of the silver but think it is nice with the black trim so happy with my choice, but it is very very hard to choose between the two !!!!! 

Edited by April Snow

24 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

@April Snow: sorry I'm as blind as a bat! The Bronze is supposed to be a big upgrade on the Red.

@MarkT: what's your cartridge and how is it? The black looks very nice too!

What a tough decision that'd be!

It's a Dynavector 17D3  cartridge mounted in a Technics Boron headshell from the Technics EPA 100MK2 tonearm.

Also swapped out the supplied 3mm thick rubber mat for a Technics RGS0010 6mm one.

1 hour ago, MarkT said:

Enjoying my GR too....

20191227_171411.jpg

Hi Mark,

the SL1200GR looks great - how does it compare to the other turntables you have had and the SL10 (which we both own and hence a common reference).

I am currently agonising over checking out some of the vintage high end Japanese DD turntables (Technics SP10, Yamaha GT2000, Kenwood 9010 etc), and my sensible head (or the chicken in me if you prefer)is saying that the new SL1200 GR or for more dough SL1200G would be a safer bet.

cheers

Cameron

1 hour ago, MarkT said:

It's a Dynavector 17D3  cartridge mounted in a Technics Boron headshell from the Technics EPA 100MK2 tonearm.

Also swapped out the supplied 3mm thick rubber mat for a Technics RGS0010 6mm one.

Yeah noticed the headshell - very nice! Is the 6mm mat an option for the new range?

6 minutes ago, josh0571 said:

Yeah noticed the headshell - very nice! Is the 6mm mat an option for the new range?

Unfortunately the 6mm mat is no longer in production , used a spare one I had lying around.

13 minutes ago, Cammyboy0_0 said:

Hi Mark,

the SL1200GR looks great - how does it compare to the other turntables you have had and the SL10 (which we both own and hence a common reference).

I am currently agonising over checking out some of the vintage high end Japanese DD turntables (Technics SP10, Yamaha GT2000, Kenwood 9010 etc), and my sensible head (or the chicken in me if you prefer)is saying that the new SL1200 GR or for more dough SL1200G would be a safer bet.

cheers

Cameron

Hi Cameron

Only way to be sure is to do a side by side comparison using the same cartridge.

I have a mint SL1210MK2 that I bought new in 2007 that I will get around to comparing to the SL1210GR but haven't had time to do that yet.

Its great that Technics have brought out the SP1000R , the G and the GR though.

Gives those that don't feel comfortable buying a 35yr old vintage DD a new option.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MarkT said:

Hi Cameron

Only way to be sure is to do a side by side comparison using the same cartridge.

I have a mint SL1210MK2 that I bought new in 2007 that I will get around to comparing to the SL1210GR but haven't had time to do that yet.

Its great that Technics have brought out the SP1000R , the G and the GR though.

Gives those that don't feel comfortable buying a 35yr old vintage DD a new option.

Hi Mark,

agree totally with all of the above - especially re Technics new models..

I would be keen to hear how you think the SL10 stacks up against the SL1210's out of curiosity.

cheers

Cameron

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nice thread. How’s the GR performing today? My second TT , a vintage Yamaha pf800 is refusing to start or stop after the first spin. I have the option of getting it repaired or going straight to a new Technics 1200GR, 1210 mk7 or 1200mk2 (second hand). There are plenty of mark 2s on eBay for between 700 to 1000 dollars. I also realise there are techs who can service these and parts are plenty. I might go for this and send the Yamaha into storage. Some say mk2 perceived build quality is better than mk7. Is GR the modern equivalent of mk2? Your thoughts appreciated.

cheers.