yannakout

High end bookshelf advice

Bryston MiniT 3 way bookshelves on sale at Addicted To Audio RRP $6700.00 sale price $3000.00. These are very large bookshelves and weigh in at 19kg each. These provide an excellent soundstage in width depth instrument positioning and vocal localisation. Good power required as they are 85db and 4 ohm. These go low for bookshelves, they have very chunky 8" bass drivers. I am extremely happy with mine.

To throw in yet another option, whilst I have not heard them, I have been told the Triangle Signature Theata speakers are comparable to the Focal 1008be's.

There is a demo pair on sale at Shelby's for $2800.

The Opera Callas certainly do not sound small - they are on the larger side of bookshelf speakers however:

WWW.APOLLOHIFI.COM.AU

<p>The new Callas speakers use techniques and components that represent the state of the art in electroacoustic, starting from the...

They sounded great when demo'd against the Audio Physic floorstander.  The Audio Phsyic sounded boxy and small in comparison.  May have been a sales strategy :-).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Buchardt S400.  I am no bass head either, but it is incredible how much the low end completes the music experience.  The bass is not prominent, but is there when needed.  It is the largest sounding bookshelf I have owned and it puts out a wall of sound.  It does take a lot of hours to break in however and needs careful placement - so if you do buy it, break it in as it sounds compressed out of the box.  

Have fun in your search!

10 hours ago, Spukee said:

The Opera Callas certainly do not sound small - they are on the larger side of bookshelf speakers however:

WWW.APOLLOHIFI.COM.AU

<p>The new Callas speakers use techniques and components that represent the state of the art in electroacoustic, starting from the...

They sounded great when demo'd against the Audio Physic floorstander.  The Audio Phsyic sounded boxy and small in comparison.  May have been a sales strategy :-).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Buchardt S400.  I am no bass head either, but it is incredible how much the low end completes the music experience.  The bass is not prominent, but is there when needed.  It is the largest sounding bookshelf I have owned and it puts out a wall of sound.  It does take a lot of hours to break in however and needs careful placement - so if you do buy it, break it in as it sounds compressed out of the box.  

Have fun in your search!

Thanks mate ill check it out!
Have you heard the ATC, ProAc, Hulgich, PMC or ?
I kind of want a calibration for the S400 against the likes of those guys

Not direct comparison, but from recollection only and different models.

PMC TB2i, as natural sounding, but S400 sounds much larger and punchier.

Proac 1SC, S400 timbre not as good and treble not as airy, but better in all other respects.

Proac D2, only had limited time with this. D2 sounds thinner and does not have as much weight to mid range. Bottom end tight but not as punchy.

More into natural sounding timbre, great sounding vocals and imaging (sucker for a sweat midrange). 

Given your music taste I would steer you towards the Harbeth, without a doubt.  I would also point you towards the C7 rather than to he 30.1. Perfect for timber, vocals and mid range. 

Xavian Perla Exlusiva if you what natural timbre, vocals to die for and great imaging.

I have a pair and find them fantastic.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By engineer
      Item: PMC Twenty5.26 speakers
      Price: $8990
      Item Condition: BRAND NEW - UNOPENED / SEALED BOX
      Reason for selling: RAISING FUNDS FOR UPGRADE
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

PMC Twenty5.26 in best finish - Walnut.

BRAND NEW  - UNOPENED / SEALED BOXES.

PRICED TO SELL! (RRP $14990)

These speakers are well known in the audiophile arena on how special they are. They have an amazing open soundstage and are second to none in terms of transparency, pace, imaging and dynamics. They have an incredible ability that tells you so much about the music and sound so open and right.

PMCs 3 ways speaker designs are definitely are major and mammoth step up from there 2 way designs. This speaker is a true representation of the PMC house sound.

Selling due to upgrade bug (as I have also convinced my partner)

Can arrange pickup, drop off locally in Sydney or can post Australia Wide (at buyers cost).

Purchased from Lifestyle Store.

Any queries please feel free to contact me.

• By engineer
      Item: PMC Twenty5.26 speakers
      Price: $8990
      Item Condition: BRAND NEW - UNOPENED / SEALED BOX
      Reason for selling: RAISING FUNDS FOR UPGRADE
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

PMC Twenty5.26 in best finish - Walnut.

BRAND NEW  - UNOPENED / SEALED BOXES.

PRICED TO SELL! (RRP $14990)

Firstly, I love these speakers. When I first heard them, I totally fell in love. They have an amazing open soundstage and are second to none in terms of transparency, pace, imaging and dynamics. They have an incredible ability that tells you so much about the music. Hence the reason why this model is so very well known in the audiophile community.

The upgrade bug has now totally hit me and now have the opportunity to upgrade. I have also kinda convinced my partner so need to sell before she changes her mind)

Can arrange pickup, drop off locally in Sydney or can post Australia Wide (at buyers cost).

Purchased from Lifestyle Store.

Any queries please feel free to contact me.

Photos:

• By Bikkitz
      Item: PMC Twenty.22 Walnut Speakers
      Price: $1850
      Item Condition: Very good
      Reason for selling: Upgraded to newer model
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal
      Extra Info: PMC Twenty.22 speakers in walnut finish. I am the second owner, selling as I've purchased a pair of Twenty5.22s in oak.

A main reason for changing was aesthetic as neither my wife or I liked the Walnut finish (which doesn't match with anything else we have). Before deciding to purchase Twenty5.22 I auditioned a number of other speakers at home including Monitor Audio Silver 300s and Gold 100s. Both of these were priced above $3000 and in my opinion were not in the same class as the PMC Twenty.22 (which admittedly retailed for approx $4500 when new). You likely won't get a comparable or better speaker new for less than $4000.

If it wasn't for the walnut finish, I'd have likely kept these speakers for a long time. They have a high sensitivity and are easy to drive however I've read they improve with high power output amps. I ran them on a Marantz KI Pearl Lite and was very happy with their sound.

Full specs available on the PMC website: https://pmc-speakers.com/products/archive/archive/twenty22

The speakers have been very well looked after apart from a small scratch on the underside of one of the speakers as shown in the pictures. For a time they were placed directly on our entertainment cabinet (before I purchased stands) - to stop the cabinet and the speakers vibrating I attached small adhesive pads to the underside of the speakers. These can be removed if necessary, however I've left them on as they may be useful to the next buyer.

Supplied in original box and packaging. Can post with Australia Post, happy to provide a quote on request.

Photos: