High end bookshelf advice

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2019 at 4:46 AM, Rakalel said:

Osborn EOS reference elite are in your price range. I listened to the epitome range and the vocals and midrange blew my Xt8f’s out of the water and I believe they have the same drivers in the EOS. 

Since you have the budget you should definitely consider the osborns. They are reference standard speakers (not by name only) end game for some. You would be looking at closer to 10K or above in other brands to get there.

9 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Since you have the budget you should definitely consider the osborns. They are reference standard speakers (not by name only) end game for some. You would be looking at closer to 10K or above in other brands to get there.

For sure. @yannakout should take a gander (if he hasn't already) at the pics on @hellzigha ad in the Classifieds. Lovely stuff.

Hi, this is a left field suggestion, but I’ve just acquired a pair of Quadral Aurum Galan 9 bookshelves and I’m honestly blown away by how good they are, especially for the price of them.

They’re articulate, neutral (maybe the slightest lean towards warmth, but this is assuming my whole system is perfectly neutral to start with ?).

I get bass down to ~35hz (!), they have a selectable tweeter (-2db, flat, +2db) to suit your treble tastes and a simply beautiful mid-range. Admittedly I spent a fortune on upgrading the jumper cables (from stock to Coherent 6d), but they just sing to me. Oh yeah, they sound as large as the music tells them to sound as well, they throw a huge, layered and convincing soundstage, they make you feel like you’re in the venue, whether the recording is front and centre or further back into the hall.

Their ribbon tweeter is superb as it lets me hear deeper than I have before into the mix, without sounding etched. Their imaging is superb too, if that’s your thing.

They’re capable of remaining coherent even during complex musical passages and handle volume and dynamics with aplomb.

I know you’re Sydney based, but if you happen to be in VIC on your travels I’d be happy to let you have a listen mate.

Edited by realysm42

20 minutes ago, b0dhi said:

Thanks for the suggestion. They'd be exactly what I'm after except for the fact they're ported ?

There are very few non-ported stand mounts.ATC make a few.I built Kairos Meniscus kit speakers because they can be used in a sealed or ported box and they do sound better to me when sealed.As ported bass goes the M&Ds are pretty good and they really do go quite low.

By far the best stand mount speakers I have heard are Dynaudio C1s and they are ported.It must be extremely hard to build really good two way stand mounts because the C1s are the only truly convincing ones I have heard.Even the slightly cheaper Dynaudio Contour two ways are not quite right.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2019 at 7:21 PM, TerryO said:

If you don’t mind being a bit patient then Dyn C1’s and or Lenehan ML2’s will pop up in / near that price range.

cheers

Terry

Lenehan ML2 looks just like the Joseph Pulsar speaker with different finish wood veneer.

I wonder which speaker is better of the two. Anyone care to chime in thanks.

Buchardt S400 looks as if they said damn that a nice looking speaker (Amphion Argon3s)

Turn it up side down. That looks even better now.

Edited by Mach3

Guest Muon N'
4 hours ago, Mach3 said:

Lenehan ML2 looks just like the Joseph Pulsar speaker with different finish wood veneer.

I wonder which speaker is better of the two. Anyone care to chime in thanks.

Apart from the similar (not same) front baffle shape they are very different speakers, the drivers, cabinet and crossovers and crossover components and design, I'd bet all very different.

Lenehan ML-1's

13495387_833550470112420_1050502740955731428_o.jpg.aa99eb94355cdb66d80a126f02496746.jpg2021555-lenehan-audio-ml1-new-version-plus-r-option.jpg.351235eb7022c1da80c4a4fb1d8f4c05.jpg

Pulsar 2

590361065_Pulsar2Graphene-004.png.92fbfe6b7b7b94e0f0a03bb96f7c2b61.png73393271_Pulsar2Graphene-003.jpg.b7ebac77ed36e678ac252e74942b00ae.jpg

They look quite different to me.

Edit: the Pulsar at least in size is more like the ML-1, if it performs as well or even close to the Lenehan speakers it is special.

The Pulser looks like it would be considerably more costly than the standard ML-1, and in price would be facing off with a Reference level ML-1 at least, I'd guess the Pulsar a greater cost by a very fair bit.

The Pulsar is priced at $7700/pair that's USD I imagine ($11,218.97 AUD) their latest the Pulsar 2 is $8999  (13,111.96 AUD) from what I can see online.

They are well reviewed.

Edited by Muon N'

• 3 weeks later...