Sign in to follow this  
yannakout

High end bookshelf advice

Hi all, I am currently investigating stand mount speakers.
I have listened to:
Krix esoterix altum
Dynaudio (multiple pairs) special 40 etc etc
PMC 25.22
Qaccoustics c300
totem signature
preference order (1st Krix esoterix, 2nd PMC, 3rd tie Qaccoustic + totem, 4th dynaudio)

Want to listen to:
Buchardt s400
ATC SCM19
Harbeth 30.1
+ any others people may recommend 

I have a budget ceiling of $5000 and the Krix are well above this unfortunately. 
If anyone has any insight or recommendations that could be awesome, or even if you're in Sydney and friendly enough to allow me to audition.

I am not a bass head (dont listen to EDM or HIpHop) More into natural sounding timbre, great sounding vocals and imaging (sucker for a sweat midrange). 
I also don't want the speaker to sound (small). Qaccoustics really excelled here, sounded like a large floor stander.

Whilst above your budget I 'd also recommend having a listening to the B&W 805's and Focal 1008be. They can be sourced second hand within your price range when they come up.

Both are terrific speakers with their own set of pro's and cons.

For vocals and midrange sweetness, I'd plump for the Focal's. They can certainly sound big too.

But that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

Whilst above your budget I 'd also recommend having a listening to the B&W 805's and Focal 1008be. They can be sourced second hand within your price range when they come up.

Both are terrific speakers with their own set of pro's and cons.

For vocals and midrange sweetness, I'd plump for the Focal's. They can certainly sound big too.

But that's just my opinion.

thankyou I will have to give them both a listen :)

Guest jakeyb77

The Contrast Lens or Magic are in your ball park.

I haven’t heard those two exact models but the Soul and smaller model gave very good impressions at the recent Hifi show in Melbourne with the sort of sound signature you are after. 
Check the Room  1202 thread on here. 

4 hours ago, ray4410 said:

hulgich serenade

Ill contact them :)

4 hours ago, jakeyb77 said:

The Contrast Lens or Magic are in your ball park.

I haven’t heard those two exact models but the Soul and smaller model gave very good impressions at the recent Hifi show in Melbourne with the sort of sound signature you are after. 
Check the Room  1202 thread on here. 

They have got into contact with me, look forward to hearing them

Osborn EOS reference elite are in your price range. I listened to the epitome range and the vocals and midrange blew my Xt8f’s out of the water and I believe they have the same drivers in the EOS. 

I don't have much to add here other than I am currently putting money aside for a similar goal, and would be curious to hear your impressions of the Krix, and why they currently top your list.

Oh, actually, ProAc Response D2s might be worth considering. I was impressed by their scale and tone when I heard them last. They definitely don't sound small. 

You might want to check out Cabasse. Their concentric drivers allow their mid range bookshelf speakers to be 3-way. They don't seem popular in Australia, and so you can get them secondhand at really good prices. They are also pretty efficient so they allow for a wide range of pairings with tube amps which might get you the sound you are looking for.

8 hours ago, twofires said:

I don't have much to add here other than I am currently putting money aside for a similar goal, and would be curious to hear your impressions of the Krix, and why they currently top your list.

Oh, actually, ProAc Response D2s might be worth considering. I was impressed by their scale and tone when I heard them last. They definitely don't sound small. 

It just was the natural sound and airiness of them. It’s one of those things where you just stop and enjoy the music.

i night have to put the Hulgich in the top spot though, heard them yesterday and they were beautiful 

3 minutes ago, yannakout said:

It just was the natural sound and airiness of them. It’s one of those things where you just stop and enjoy the music.

i night have to put the Hulgich in the top spot though, heard them yesterday and they were beautiful 

Nice. While our music tastes differ, airiness is certainly a quality I appreciate in a speaker - one completely lacking from what I have presently. 

Which model of Hulgich did you hear? 

35 minutes ago, twofires said:

Nice. While our music tastes differ, airiness is certainly a quality I appreciate in a speaker - one completely lacking from what I have presently. 

Which model of Hulgich did you hear? 

I heard the Nina, I think the Serenade might be my go to as it’s less expensive but still is Sid to have a similar sound profile, not being quite as good tho

I would suggest to think about speakers and amp as a combo. If you want to focus on vocals then some tube integrated $5000+ might be a good option. 

Bryston MiniT 3 way bookshelves on sale at Addicted To Audio RRP $6700.00 sale price $3000.00. These are very large bookshelves and weigh in at 19kg each. These provide an excellent soundstage in width depth instrument positioning and vocal localisation. Good power required as they are 85db and 4 ohm. These go low for bookshelves, they have very chunky 8" bass drivers. I am extremely happy with mine.

To throw in yet another option, whilst I have not heard them, I have been told the Triangle Signature Theata speakers are comparable to the Focal 1008be's.

There is a demo pair on sale at Shelby's for $2800.

The Opera Callas certainly do not sound small - they are on the larger side of bookshelf speakers however:

WWW.APOLLOHIFI.COM.AU

<p>The new Callas speakers use techniques and components that represent the state of the art in electroacoustic, starting from the...

They sounded great when demo'd against the Audio Physic floorstander.  The Audio Phsyic sounded boxy and small in comparison.  May have been a sales strategy :-).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Buchardt S400.  I am no bass head either, but it is incredible how much the low end completes the music experience.  The bass is not prominent, but is there when needed.  It is the largest sounding bookshelf I have owned and it puts out a wall of sound.  It does take a lot of hours to break in however and needs careful placement - so if you do buy it, break it in as it sounds compressed out of the box.  

Have fun in your search!

10 hours ago, Spukee said:

The Opera Callas certainly do not sound small - they are on the larger side of bookshelf speakers however:

WWW.APOLLOHIFI.COM.AU

<p>The new Callas speakers use techniques and components that represent the state of the art in electroacoustic, starting from the...

They sounded great when demo'd against the Audio Physic floorstander.  The Audio Phsyic sounded boxy and small in comparison.  May have been a sales strategy :-).

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Buchardt S400.  I am no bass head either, but it is incredible how much the low end completes the music experience.  The bass is not prominent, but is there when needed.  It is the largest sounding bookshelf I have owned and it puts out a wall of sound.  It does take a lot of hours to break in however and needs careful placement - so if you do buy it, break it in as it sounds compressed out of the box.  

Have fun in your search!

Thanks mate ill check it out!
Have you heard the ATC, ProAc, Hulgich, PMC or ?
I kind of want a calibration for the S400 against the likes of those guys

Not direct comparison, but from recollection only and different models.

PMC TB2i, as natural sounding, but S400 sounds much larger and punchier.

Proac 1SC, S400 timbre not as good and treble not as airy, but better in all other respects.

Proac D2, only had limited time with this. D2 sounds thinner and does not have as much weight to mid range. Bottom end tight but not as punchy.

More into natural sounding timbre, great sounding vocals and imaging (sucker for a sweat midrange). 

Given your music taste I would steer you towards the Harbeth, without a doubt.  I would also point you towards the C7 rather than to he 30.1. Perfect for timber, vocals and mid range. 

Xavian Perla Exlusiva if you what natural timbre, vocals to die for and great imaging.

I have a pair and find them fantastic.

@yannakout did you get something?

From your description the ATC SCM 19 sounds like a good fit.

@padre_power where did you get a pair? I have not seen those being sold in Australia, only in Europe.