Sign in to follow this  
08Boss302

Help with new DAP vs new Phone

This is taken from John Darko’s latest article about DACs

"The AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt (US$299) sounds far better than the average smartphone’s 3.5mm output (if it has one) but we have to weigh up the hassle of an extra dongle vs. the improvement to sound quality. In other words: is it worth it? For pretty much everything but the LG V series, I’d respond with a firm ‘yes’. The Cobalt sounds better than the LG V30/40 but the delta is small enough for me to leave it at home. Each of us must work out for ourselves if a DAC’s qualitative gains are worth the expense but also, sometimes, the inconvenience."

thought it was relevant here

DARKO.AUDIO

Watched the video? Time to think deeper.

cheers.

I've done a fair bit of reseach and I am confident I'll grab th LG V30+ or the LGV40 (whichever) once its back on sale.  Some reports suggest the V40 had some alterations to its volume control but from what i've reseached the DAC is the same.

At $400 when they're on sale and for the functionality of WiFi, Google App store access for NetFlix etc and including more current android support I think its the way to go. 

....one question which has now entered my mind, IF I am using the bluetooth connection to my headphones, does the well regarded DAC have as much impact or are we really looking at the 3.5mm connection deliverying the best of the DAC.

i understand aptX and aptX HD are excellent, but i am assuming the aptX and aptX HD with the quad DAC in the LG is also a step up from most phones out there in BlueTooth mode?

Also in my current phone, the aptX is showing but when i go into developer options and look at the codec being used it comes up as LDAC which i am sure is not as good as aptX.  Just want to ensure the LG supports it properly

Edited by 08Boss302

12 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

one question which has now entered my mind, IF I am using the bluetooth connection to my headphones, does the well regarded DAC have as much impact or are we really looking at the 3.5mm connection deliverying the best of the DAC.

Zero effect on Bluetooth signal. They have a decoder in the headphones.

thank you @sly_bastard

so does that mean in essence it doesnt matter what phone/device i use with bluetooth connection to headphones as the headphones do the decoding?

the Sennheiser PXC 550 i have now are aptx HD compatable, will this be used to its best with the LG and its DAC

21 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

thank you @sly_bastard

so does that mean in essence it doesnt matter what phone/device i use with bluetooth connection to headphones as the headphones do the decoding?

the Sennheiser PXC 550 i have now are aptx HD compatable, will this be used to its best with the LG and its DAC

I think that's right. 

If you enable developer options on a Android phone, there is a config section in there that let's you look at and set various bluetooth config items  - like the codec to use, and that includes aptX HD, and LDAC, bits per sample, sample rate, LDAC quality, AVCRP version.  (that's what I get in Android 9 anyway).  This means that if it doesn't default to the codec you want, you can force it to use the desired one.

...so in the capacity of BlueTooth usage its really about the compatability of the type of codec between the headphone and phone (ie aptX or SBC or LDAC) being used NOT the quad DAC in the phone? The DAC in the phone is kind of being bypassed in place of the Codec?

But, when using the 3.5mm input the quad DAC is being used and the headphones to phone codec compatability is irrelevant as the phones DAC is being used when wired headphones are employed.

So I have 2 DAPs & an iPhone 8+ which I use a NAOS DAC AMP with. 

You can go down the road of adding a portable DAC AMP to your existing phone, but it's going to drain the phones battery. 

You can go the LGV30+ 

Or the DAP. Personally, I'd go a dedicated DAP. I've got a Plenue D & Sony Walkman NW-A45... If you're wanting WiFi capabilities, probably look at the fiio range.

16 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

You can go down the road of adding a portable DAC AMP to your existing phone, but it's going to drain the phones battery. 

THe Dragonfly Cobalt only impacts battery life by around 5%, I find just hunting for wifi whilst out and about causes a bigger drain on battery life. Having said that I personally rarely have battery life issues, but if I do I just turn wifi off.

17 hours ago, Jovan.s1987 said:

The Fiio Q1 has it's own battery.

Me personally I'm stuck between the options the Sony wm1a, chord poly and the fiio q5s. Each has its advantages, for you is probably recommend the fiio q5s as the best option if you have a phone with Bluetooth 5.0 depending on needs.

@08Boss302  

WWW.OZBARGAIN.COM.AU

Black Friday Deal Lg v30+ Other deals Huawei Y9 Prime $299 (Was $399) Google Pixel 4 $899 (Was $1049) Google Pixel 4XL $1129 (Was $1279) Huawei P30 Pro $1099 (Was $1399) Huawei P30 $799 (Was...

10 hours ago, RankStranger said:

@08Boss302  

WWW.OZBARGAIN.COM.AU

Black Friday Deal Lg v30+ Other deals Huawei Y9 Prime $299 (Was $399) Google Pixel 4 $899 (Was $1049) Google Pixel 4XL $1129 (Was $1279) Huawei P30 Pro $1099 (Was $1399) Huawei P30 $799 (Was...

thank you!

I actually also saw this earlier this morning at JB too.

Kogan have the V40thinq for $549, its $150 more expensive but has the new processor, more ram, slightly bigger screen for netflix on the fly etc.

Both run the same DAC with the V30+ the B&O offering and the V40 the meridian offering, though from what i've read there is no difference in the tuning

Not sure which way to go, the V30+ will suffice but having the additional ram, better camera, updated processor has appeal as it really makes it a DAP with a heap of flexibility. 

at the prices i wont go wrong either way, just gotta decide on which one..