32 minutes ago, blybo said:

Why not just use your currant phone and use a Dragon Fly Cobalt as your DAC/Amp to your cans of choice? Then just upgrade the phone as need be when phone plans run out.

I use the Sennheiser PXC550's when I travel to my phone via bluetooth (no 3.5mm jack) and find it is fine but I'm thinking of grabbing a Dragonfly for using cabled with my laptop or iPad. Either that or buying a pair of Air Pods Pro and forget ultimate SQ when travelling and go the convenience route.

i actually havent thought of the Dragon Fly option option. I do prefer not to travel with my phone as its a joint personal/business phone and kinda ruins any travelling if you know what i mean LOL.  removing the sim card is a viable option though.

32 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Here's a couple of screenshots of my typical audio config in Power amp, most things are configurable.

Screenshot_20191115-112241.jpg.395daaf5aa8b384202ab1030b976a8ce.jpg

Screenshot_20191115-112255.jpg.4c93ac06bef74f8b14942c4d4b138bf7.jpg

thats impressive. solid EQ options.  Does it work in conjuction with DB poweramp or is it separate thingy all together.

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

This is interesting, when you say average audio quality are you referring to phones in general or the LG v30 specifically.  I ask only because it (the LGv30) is regarded well on alot of headfi websites and reviews equal to and or better than a lot of DAPs.

The lg is considered a great phone for audio but as a DAC/amp it is still considered low to medium tier. When considering against a DAP some sites may recommend it due to its Jack off all traits master of none variety. It's convenient, has access to streaming services and is an all in one. 

Compared to an amp or DAP is power is pretty low, if it's still like the older g7 which I will assume it's one 700mw per channel which is ok but not great usually want 2 watt per channel, even with its low power the noise isn't great. So overall you will lose a lot of detail and other aspects sure to this depending on headphones. For average use sure it's a great option but don't expect better than at most an average audiophile experience. If you don't know what you missing you won't miss out.

That is why there maybe better options like a portable amp for your iPod or a Bluetooth amp/DAC for your phone.

Edited by sly_bastard

I've been reading this thread with interest.   I've recently got a pair of HD58X to use with an iphone just for casual listening at work and when away from home.   After having HD600 and HD6XX I find I like the HD58X are much better suited to the output of my iphone 6s and also I prefer the sound even on the home system with a dedicated amp.

I've currently loaned a Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp from Wyndham Audio.  It's a pretty simple headphone amp only with facility for 3.5 in and 3.5 out.  It uses a 9 volt battery and also has facility for 240 volt via a wall wart or USB power.  Hardly a small device and not something I'd go jogging with (not that I jog anymore).  In terms of performance it really gives the headphone output a decent boost and drives the HD58X well enough to get way too loud if you want.

In terms of sound quality it's restricted to the signal it's receiving so I'm interested in how something like a quality headphone amp like the Voyager with an iphone as a source via 3.5 using the iphone dac compares to a dac/amp combo.

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

thats impressive. solid EQ options.  Does it work in conjuction with DB poweramp or is it separate thingy all together.

I think it's quite separate

7 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I've been reading this thread with interest.   I've recently got a pair of HD58X to use with an iphone just for casual listening at work and when away from home.   After having HD600 and HD6XX I find I like the HD58X are much better suited to the output of my iphone 6s and also I prefer the sound even on the home system with a dedicated amp.

I've currently loaned a Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp from Wyndham Audio.  It's a pretty simple headphone amp only with facility for 3.5 in and 3.5 out.  It uses a 9 volt battery and also has facility for 240 volt via a wall wart or USB power.  Hardly a small device and not something I'd go jogging with (not that I jog anymore).  In terms of performance it really gives the headphone output a decent boost and drives the HD58X well enough to get way too loud if you want.

In terms of sound quality it's restricted to the signal it's receiving so I'm interested in how something like a quality headphone amp like the Voyager with an iphone as a source via 3.5 using the iphone dac compares to a dac/amp combo.

Take a drive to Kew and sample the Dragon Fly range with your own cans and phone at Addicted to Audio. I've bought from these guys before but not overly keen on their attitude towards sales. They are really a distributor/online retailer with a half hearted shop in reception.

10 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I have a little Fiio Q1, that can work as a straight 3.5mm jack headphone amp, or as a DAC/headphone amp via most phones' USB.  On some phones it makes a huge difference, and on others it sounds about the same.  

37 minutes ago, blybo said:

Take a drive to Kew and sample the Dragon Fly range with your own cans and phone at Addicted to Audio. I've bought from these guys before but not overly keen on their attitude towards sales. They are really a distributor/online retailer with a half hearted shop in reception.

Damn straight.

The irony is that their website is even worse. I personally won't deal with them ever again.

The LG V30 is pretty solid - it looks like there’s a few posters here who either don’t know the specs and/or haven’t heard one - I have.

Cheers, Was your experience using it with headphones or hooked up to something. 

This is taken from John Darko’s latest article about DACs

"The AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt (US$299) sounds far better than the average smartphone’s 3.5mm output (if it has one) but we have to weigh up the hassle of an extra dongle vs. the improvement to sound quality. In other words: is it worth it? For pretty much everything but the LG V series, I’d respond with a firm ‘yes’. The Cobalt sounds better than the LG V30/40 but the delta is small enough for me to leave it at home. Each of us must work out for ourselves if a DAC’s qualitative gains are worth the expense but also, sometimes, the inconvenience."

thought it was relevant here

DARKO.AUDIO

Watched the video? Time to think deeper.

cheers.

I've done a fair bit of reseach and I am confident I'll grab th LG V30+ or the LGV40 (whichever) once its back on sale.  Some reports suggest the V40 had some alterations to its volume control but from what i've reseached the DAC is the same.

At $400 when they're on sale and for the functionality of WiFi, Google App store access for NetFlix etc and including more current android support I think its the way to go. 

....one question which has now entered my mind, IF I am using the bluetooth connection to my headphones, does the well regarded DAC have as much impact or are we really looking at the 3.5mm connection deliverying the best of the DAC.

i understand aptX and aptX HD are excellent, but i am assuming the aptX and aptX HD with the quad DAC in the LG is also a step up from most phones out there in BlueTooth mode?

Also in my current phone, the aptX is showing but when i go into developer options and look at the codec being used it comes up as LDAC which i am sure is not as good as aptX.  Just want to ensure the LG supports it properly

Edited by 08Boss302

12 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

one question which has now entered my mind, IF I am using the bluetooth connection to my headphones, does the well regarded DAC have as much impact or are we really looking at the 3.5mm connection deliverying the best of the DAC.

Zero effect on Bluetooth signal. They have a decoder in the headphones.

thank you @sly_bastard

so does that mean in essence it doesnt matter what phone/device i use with bluetooth connection to headphones as the headphones do the decoding?

the Sennheiser PXC 550 i have now are aptx HD compatable, will this be used to its best with the LG and its DAC

21 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

thank you @sly_bastard

so does that mean in essence it doesnt matter what phone/device i use with bluetooth connection to headphones as the headphones do the decoding?

the Sennheiser PXC 550 i have now are aptx HD compatable, will this be used to its best with the LG and its DAC

I think that's right. 

If you enable developer options on a Android phone, there is a config section in there that let's you look at and set various bluetooth config items  - like the codec to use, and that includes aptX HD, and LDAC, bits per sample, sample rate, LDAC quality, AVCRP version.  (that's what I get in Android 9 anyway).  This means that if it doesn't default to the codec you want, you can force it to use the desired one.

...so in the capacity of BlueTooth usage its really about the compatability of the type of codec between the headphone and phone (ie aptX or SBC or LDAC) being used NOT the quad DAC in the phone? The DAC in the phone is kind of being bypassed in place of the Codec?

But, when using the 3.5mm input the quad DAC is being used and the headphones to phone codec compatability is irrelevant as the phones DAC is being used when wired headphones are employed.

So I have 2 DAPs & an iPhone 8+ which I use a NAOS DAC AMP with. 

You can go down the road of adding a portable DAC AMP to your existing phone, but it's going to drain the phones battery. 

You can go the LGV30+ 

Or the DAP. Personally, I'd go a dedicated DAP. I've got a Plenue D & Sony Walkman NW-A45... If you're wanting WiFi capabilities, probably look at the fiio range.