Help with new DAP vs new Phone

Hi All,

As the title suggests,  Looking for some advice in an area I am very new too.

I am in the position of wanting to switch from my very reliable iPod Classic to one of the above. 

Couple of reasons for this including having recently ripped my library to FLAC, use of Bluetooth headphones with aptX HD and also streaming.

I have a phone right now which is great and does not need replacing (nor does the iPod really) but its probably not the best for this audio intention.  I do also far prefer the "separate device" idea of something I can use when away or going to the gym/run/walk that is dedicated.

There is a lot of good feedback on the LG V30+.  Some tech sites and reviewers like Darko for example are suggesting there is no need for DAP if owning one of these.  One appeal to me is that when I travel abroad I never take my phone, so the LG having the capacity to use full WiFi on it (where available) with full internet options could be of value as the concept of a quick snap camera too. 

The Fiio M9 also reviews quite well and logically is a purpose built player as I understand it with limited WiFi options but has bluetooth

My headphones I use are

Sennheiser PXC 550

Sennheiser C 3.00

Sony MDR XB50 BS

None of which are outrageously special but all serve me well for their purpose.

I visited JB the other day and consultant their advised me they have heaps of stock of the V30+ and expects it to be on sale again prior to Christmas.  This means I can get either device within $50 bucks of each other.  ATM I am leaning toward the flexibility of the LG with its WiFi flexibility and full android operating system which has its bonuses when travelling or even out and about where there is free WiFi,  but if the information is compelling the M9 is a better option I can be swayed. 

thanks all, any information is appreciated.

53 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Nobody?  Anybody?

?

Surely amongst this community someone has knowledge or opinion on this ?

I don’t have any personal experience but I’m happy to be your voice of reason. From what I have read and seen on the Darko videos the v30 is a no brainer for your situation. Maybe a dedicated DAP will eke another few percent of performance out of your cans but we’re not talking HE1000s here. Plus for travelling  you’ll get web browser, maps, Spotify etc. Based on what you’ve written above I’d see if there are still some v30s around for $400 and be done with it. 

If any dedicated DAP enthusiasts want to argue with me I’ll be at the bar 

thanks mate.

yeah, I am leaning that way heavily now. 

The added functionalilty options and the proven audio capability make it a compelling reason to grab and just utilise as a DAP.  I also came to thinking for travelling I can download some netflix into it and watch offline - a DAP cannot do this either.

Just going to sit tight and wait for it to show up at $400 again I think.

• Like 1

If you port in to Telstra and go on a $65/m plan for 12 months, you'll get unlimited text and voice calls (domestic only) and 60gb of data. You'll get a $500 gift certificate, you can use it to buy the LG v30. Only at JB hifi. 

Just a thought, I'm planning of using this offer to get the missus a new iPhone 11 pro

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

They have different rules and offers per phone unfortunately.  I'm already with Telstra so don't qualify unless I want a, new number but in saying that I don't think the LG gets the gift card offer

Looks like the offer changed between yesterday and today. It's now a 24 month contract and only $300 credit if the phone is less than $999.

You could port out to Voda or Optus for a couple of days and port back in. Also depends if your still in contract. 

Here's the current link. 

I'm not affiliated with Telstra or JB. 

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/pages/jb-mobile

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sly_bastard said:

As long as you don't plan to upgrade and you ok with average audio quality then stick with the phone. Another option might be a Bluetooth amp/DAC of you want something better.

This is interesting, when you say average audio quality are you referring to phones in general or the LG v30 specifically.  I ask only because it (the LGv30) is regarded well on alot of headfi websites and reviews equal to and or better than a lot of DAPs.  It probably does not have the power to run some of the more demanding headphones from what i understand, which is not likely to be of concern for me.

The phone i have now i think is pretty average, I was under the impression the LG would advance on that considerably?

I don't think upgrading is on the horizon for me, my iPod classic is 13yrs and still looks a week old and works well, but its lack of Bluetooth, WiFi and FLAC playability has reached a point where i want to expand.

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

When you go with the phone, check out some of the better players available. 

I am using Poweramp, and the configuration capabilities with regard to special high res output drivers, bitrate, sampling rates, casting, bluetooth, etc etc, are amazing.   

Im in the throes of importing everything into my computer using DB poweramp and have purchased gold tier media monkey which i can use on my phone. I'll check out the power amp player also.

This I guess is another coup for the phone option - if the LG is as good of a performer as i have read things like this program/app only increase its appeal to me.

Just now, 08Boss302 said:

This I guess is another coup for the phone option - if the LG is as good of a performer as i have read things like this program/app only increase its appeal to me.

Yes.  I am delighted with the audiophile features you can get with a player like this.

Why not just use your currant phone and use a Dragon Fly Cobalt as your DAC/Amp to your cans of choice? Then just upgrade the phone as need be when phone plans run out.

I use the Sennheiser PXC550's when I travel to my phone via bluetooth (no 3.5mm jack) and find it is fine but I'm thinking of grabbing a Dragonfly for using cabled with my laptop or iPad. Either that or buying a pair of Air Pods Pro and forget ultimate SQ when travelling and go the convenience route.

32 minutes ago, blybo said:

Why not just use your currant phone and use a Dragon Fly Cobalt as your DAC/Amp to your cans of choice? Then just upgrade the phone as need be when phone plans run out.

I use the Sennheiser PXC550's when I travel to my phone via bluetooth (no 3.5mm jack) and find it is fine but I'm thinking of grabbing a Dragonfly for using cabled with my laptop or iPad. Either that or buying a pair of Air Pods Pro and forget ultimate SQ when travelling and go the convenience route.

i actually havent thought of the Dragon Fly option option. I do prefer not to travel with my phone as its a joint personal/business phone and kinda ruins any travelling if you know what i mean LOL.  removing the sim card is a viable option though.

32 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Here's a couple of screenshots of my typical audio config in Power amp, most things are configurable.

Screenshot_20191115-112241.jpg.395daaf5aa8b384202ab1030b976a8ce.jpg

Screenshot_20191115-112255.jpg.4c93ac06bef74f8b14942c4d4b138bf7.jpg

thats impressive. solid EQ options.  Does it work in conjuction with DB poweramp or is it separate thingy all together.

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

This is interesting, when you say average audio quality are you referring to phones in general or the LG v30 specifically.  I ask only because it (the LGv30) is regarded well on alot of headfi websites and reviews equal to and or better than a lot of DAPs.

The lg is considered a great phone for audio but as a DAC/amp it is still considered low to medium tier. When considering against a DAP some sites may recommend it due to its Jack off all traits master of none variety. It's convenient, has access to streaming services and is an all in one. 

Compared to an amp or DAP is power is pretty low, if it's still like the older g7 which I will assume it's one 700mw per channel which is ok but not great usually want 2 watt per channel, even with its low power the noise isn't great. So overall you will lose a lot of detail and other aspects sure to this depending on headphones. For average use sure it's a great option but don't expect better than at most an average audiophile experience. If you don't know what you missing you won't miss out.

That is why there maybe better options like a portable amp for your iPod or a Bluetooth amp/DAC for your phone.

Edited by sly_bastard

I've been reading this thread with interest.   I've recently got a pair of HD58X to use with an iphone just for casual listening at work and when away from home.   After having HD600 and HD6XX I find I like the HD58X are much better suited to the output of my iphone 6s and also I prefer the sound even on the home system with a dedicated amp.

I've currently loaned a Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp from Wyndham Audio.  It's a pretty simple headphone amp only with facility for 3.5 in and 3.5 out.  It uses a 9 volt battery and also has facility for 240 volt via a wall wart or USB power.  Hardly a small device and not something I'd go jogging with (not that I jog anymore).  In terms of performance it really gives the headphone output a decent boost and drives the HD58X well enough to get way too loud if you want.

In terms of sound quality it's restricted to the signal it's receiving so I'm interested in how something like a quality headphone amp like the Voyager with an iphone as a source via 3.5 using the iphone dac compares to a dac/amp combo.

7 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I've been reading this thread with interest.   I've recently got a pair of HD58X to use with an iphone just for casual listening at work and when away from home.   After having HD600 and HD6XX I find I like the HD58X are much better suited to the output of my iphone 6s and also I prefer the sound even on the home system with a dedicated amp.

I've currently loaned a Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp from Wyndham Audio.  It's a pretty simple headphone amp only with facility for 3.5 in and 3.5 out.  It uses a 9 volt battery and also has facility for 240 volt via a wall wart or USB power.  Hardly a small device and not something I'd go jogging with (not that I jog anymore).  In terms of performance it really gives the headphone output a decent boost and drives the HD58X well enough to get way too loud if you want.

In terms of sound quality it's restricted to the signal it's receiving so I'm interested in how something like a quality headphone amp like the Voyager with an iphone as a source via 3.5 using the iphone dac compares to a dac/amp combo.

Take a drive to Kew and sample the Dragon Fly range with your own cans and phone at Addicted to Audio. I've bought from these guys before but not overly keen on their attitude towards sales. They are really a distributor/online retailer with a half hearted shop in reception.

10 minutes ago, gat474 said:

I have a little Fiio Q1, that can work as a straight 3.5mm jack headphone amp, or as a DAC/headphone amp via most phones' USB.  On some phones it makes a huge difference, and on others it sounds about the same.  

37 minutes ago, blybo said:

Take a drive to Kew and sample the Dragon Fly range with your own cans and phone at Addicted to Audio. I've bought from these guys before but not overly keen on their attitude towards sales. They are really a distributor/online retailer with a half hearted shop in reception.

Damn straight.

The irony is that their website is even worse. I personally won't deal with them ever again.

• Like 1