aussievintage

Fairly high price for Garrard 4HF table on eBay

I was watching this auction

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Garrard-turntable-1950s-Model-4HF-H-/283668476974?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

mainly because I have a nice 4HF myself, and if it was cheap I might have bid on it for spares etc.  However it shot up to $255.  Pretty good for what it is and the state of disrepair etc.

Anyone else hear have one of these?

It's cord is cut, so may have been harvested from a roadside collection. 

Interesting that it has an amp built in, I wonder if it was a valve amp, it so that may have driven up the bidding.

26 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

It's cord is cut, so may have been harvested from a roadside collection. 

Interesting that it has an amp built in, I wonder if it was a valve amp, it so that may have driven up the bidding.

Yup, looks like two valve shields sticking out there.

Yes, but nothing very exciting there, maybe just a preamp, or simple mono SE power amp, such as found in every old valve radio or record player - nothing hifi :) . The rubber mat is missing and they said the speed change is seized up.  The idler will probably be hard, and I know from experience that the speed control pot will be stuffed.  They were underrated and cooked.  With age and use, they fall apart.

I am putting it down, but I also recognise that it is a step above the usual "record player".  The platter is only pressed steel, but the main bearing is similar to a 301, as is the large idler drive.  The tone arm works best at around 4 grams, and can be coaxed down to maybe 2 grams with careful attention.  It is ideal for the old mono records I use mine for.

13 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, but nothing very exciting there, maybe just a preamp, or simple mono SE power amp, such as found in every old valve radio or record player ...

I thought it would be a stereo amp, as the front panel has separate volume pots for the L + R channels.  Which confused me, as it has the old Garrard headshell that I thought was mono. 

7 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

I thought it would be a stereo amp, as the front panel has separate volume pots for the L + R channels.  Which confused me, as it has the old Garrard headshell that I thought was mono. 

OK, missed the L+R controls.  Must have been a pair of 6BM8 or similar triode/pentode valves.  

That Garrard headshell was stereo.  The early ones were 3 pin (common return) and later ones added a fourth pin.  Early stereo consoles, like one my grandfather had made by Kriesler , with an RC121 changer, had a second headshell clipped to the side near the turntable, and you swapped them when you played a stereo record.