Gale gs401c

Picked up some cheap gales a few weeks ago. They are in average shape. The mids on both speakers were out. A bit of digging and research led to a review of the crossover as the culprit. I replaced the resistors, a few caps and disassembled and cleaned the attenuators and replaced a surround..

They sound good now although I must have stuffed up the attenuators as they a bit prickly. Can they be bypassed? I found a schematic for a new crossover which bypasses the fuses so maybe that is in my future. Really nice speakers though. Thudding bass, nicer midrange than my le14a ewaves. I've read a few of the posts on the gales in here, there are some great examples! My nad 352 is going ok with them too which is nice.

Overall I'm very impressed with my $200 outlay. 20191113_111707.jpeg

• Like 2

That yellow midrange is odd. Yes you can bypass the pots (they were never meant to be end user adjustable) but may need a suitable resistor in play to keep things balanced.

And your NAD, while making a nice sound, will in no way make these really sing the way they can. Find something with real beef and be amazed. That's not meant to be disparaging, just that 401s require prodigious power and current to wake up.

• Like 4

I have read on another forum that you can bypass the attenuator with a 5k ceramic? I think I looked up the model number and the mids were appropriate. I'll have a look tomorrow. I have read about the power/impedance issues. I tried them with a toa power amp, not much difference to me. I would love to hear them with a suitable amp however.

On 14/11/2019 at 7:29 AM, Austy said:

I have read on another forum that you can bypass the attenuator with a 5k ceramic? I think I looked up the model number and the mids were appropriate. I'll have a look tomorrow. I have read about the power/impedance issues. I tried them with a toa power amp, not much difference to me. I would love to hear them with a suitable amp however.

The mids look right, but the colour threw me, maybe its the lighting. 

1 hour ago, Austy said:

Cheers, its all I can afford at the moment. I need to learn a lot more about suitable amplification for the gales.  

At the moment I'm using a 300w @8ohms/ 500w @4ohms. Drives them better then my 100w Monobloks.