Sign in to follow this  
rabidlistener

A Tribute to Jimi

I have always been into Jimi ever since he blew my mind in late 1966 with Hey Joe. I bought Are You Experienced the day it was released, in mono mind you, and after that most guitarists were also rans. I missed an opportunity to see him live at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970. I can still remember the infamous day he was taken from us - I was returning home from work and nearly fell down the escalator on the London Underground when I saw the newspaper headlines. His music was a big part of my life at the time.

Last month my wife and I went on holiday to the good ol' USA and we went to Jimi's hometown of Seattle. Early one morning I used Seattle's fine public transport system to go on a pilgramage and see his final resting place.  Its a very beautiful place and I sat there, smoked a joint (weed is legal in Washington state) , listened to my favourite track - Pali Gap from the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack (a touch of what might have been) and said thank you. I still miss him so much.

I also visited the Museum of Pop Culture where I had an emotional moment looking at the Stratocaster he used to such effect at Woodstock. I was a bit disappointed they did not have a T Shirt I wanted in my size.

On our way home to Australia we had a few days stopover in Hawai'i where I managed to score a beautiful Hawai'ian shirt in purple featuring the great man. I was hoping to travel the Pali highway to visit the gap lookout. This was not to be as there had been a big landslide earlier in the year and the lookout was closed. Shame.

4 hours ago, rabidlistener said:

I have always been into Jimi ever since he blew my mind in late 1966 with Hey Joe. I bought Are You Experienced the day it was released, in mono mind you, and after that most guitarists were also rans. I missed an opportunity to see him live at the Isle of Wight festival in 1970. I can still remember the infamous day he was taken from us - I was returning home from work and nearly fell down the escalator on the London Underground when I saw the newspaper headlines. His music was a big part of my life at the time.

Last month my wife and I went on holiday to the good ol' USA and we went to Jimi's hometown of Seattle. Early one morning I used Seattle's fine public transport system to go on a pilgramage and see his final resting place.  Its a very beautiful place and I sat there, smoked a joint (weed is legal in Washington state) , listened to my favourite track - Pali Gap from the Rainbow Bridge soundtrack (a touch of what might have been) and said thank you. I still miss him so much.

I also visited the Museum of Pop Culture where I had an emotional moment looking at the Stratocaster he used to such effect at Woodstock. I was a bit disappointed they did not have a T Shirt I wanted in my size.

On our way home to Australia we had a few days stopover in Hawai'i where I managed to score a beautiful Hawai'ian shirt in purple featuring the great man. I was hoping to travel the Pali highway to visit the gap lookout. This was not to be as there had been a big landslide earlier in the year and the lookout was closed. Shame.

Very nicely written RL. That was a great tribute. The artists l miss the most are Jeff Buckley and David Bowie. Bowie got better with age and achieved greatness. Buckley, well he was just getting started.

I often wondered how great Jeff would have become. Is album Grace, is one of my favourite albums of all time. When l got back into vinyl 2 years ago, it was the first LP l purchased.

Agreed, a great story, and something I'm sure many of us can relate to. I made a similar pilgrimage to visit the grave of one of my musical heroes, Jim Morrison, at Pere Lachaise. I spent over an hour listening to some Doors tunes, quietly reflecting, drinking some bourbon and also smoked a massive joint. I made a small offering to his, unfortunately by this point, very vandalised gravesite before leaving.

Several years later one of my best friends and an equally enthusiastic Jim Morrison fan was on a European holiday tour and also visited at my behest that he could not miss it. He was thinking about coming home early but it convinced him to finish out the, for him, once in a lifteime trip.

Thanks for sharing your pilgrimage story with us.

Edited by SkipEsquire

We were over in Perth in February for our 10th wedding anniversary, we took the time to visit Bon Scott's grave and statue in Fremantle, my wife spent a bit of time in her earlier years seeing Bon and the boys playing in the pubs around Adelaide.

Great to hear @rabidlistener 

Seattle is also the resting place of a great influence in my life, Bruce Lee (next to his son, of course).  Pity their graves are so far apart, it's two pilgrimages in one day!

I also made the trek in 2011 to Jim Morrison.  No joints for me though lads...

P1020515.thumb.JPG.010583d7d58cb2e2a42a4cb02902478c.JPG