Sign in to follow this  
ampaddict

Quad 34 suppression cap

Hi folks,

Moved post to correct thread, sorry.

My Quad 34 emitted a puff of smoke and on inspection looks like the suppression cap is blown as per photo. What's that smell!

Trying to locate a replacement for RIFA 0.047uF 100ohmx2 PMR209MB 40/085/56. Original part # NPMR20A.

Element 14 and RS have a Kemet 47000pF, 250V but resistance is listed as 47ohms. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/rc-network-capacitors/0209213/

Should I run with this and add a 47ohm resistor in series or 150ohm in parallel or neither?

Struggling to find data on original part.

Any experience/help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

20191111_154518.jpeg

Dada electronics in Melbourne are worth a try. 

Esmond is the man there. 

Dada electronics in Melbourne are worth a try. 
Esmond is the man there. 
Many thanks

13 hours ago, BradW said:

Hi folks,

Moved post to correct thread, sorry.

My Quad 34 emitted a puff of smoke and on inspection looks like the suppression cap is blown as per photo. What's that smell!

Trying to locate a replacement for RIFA 0.047uF 100ohmx2 PMR209MB 40/085/56. Original part # NPMR20A.

Element 14 and RS have a Kemet 47000pF, 250V but resistance is listed as 47ohms. https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/rc-network-capacitors/0209213/

Should I run with this and add a 47ohm resistor in series or 150ohm in parallel or neither?

Struggling to find data on original part.

Any experience/help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

20191111_154518.jpeg

Hi Brad

Hifi engine is your first place for all schematics   https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/quad/34.shtml

The suppressor is not a readily available standard part, as it contains inline resistors. in the circumstance I would contact Rob Flain at Quad UK   https://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/contact-us/    The part is Quad stock no  NPMR20A with a circuit board part identification as N1  

If contemplating replacement less the manufacturers part with internal resistors, you will need to replace with suggested  630v rated part, the higher voltage rating will give a much better level of reliability .  

Edited by stereo coffee

Thanks Chris. I managed to get one from DaDa Electronics in Melbourne but handy to have the Quad UK contact too. It's a common point of failure when the devices are left idle too long. Thankfully, it's a 20 buck fix.

Cheers,

Brad

Those RIFA caps with the clear casing are a real fire hazard and are notorious for self destructing.Typically the case starts to crack,moisture infiltrates and POW !!!  RIFA.jpg.c176169873b37f5fa5afdcbb50cf1040.jpg

18 hours ago, iant said:

Those RIFA caps with the clear casing are a real fire hazard and are notorious for self destructing.Typically the case starts to crack,moisture infiltrates and POW !!!  RIFA.jpg.c176169873b37f5fa5afdcbb50cf1040.jpg

Geez, lucky I was present when mine popped and I cut the power within a couple of seconds. I dodged a fiery bullet!