Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Arry74

New Receiver need advice deciding

Recommended Posts

I swear I have read and watched every review there is on these receivers but chasing real world advice from users.

 

Trying to decide between Denon 3600H, Marantz 6014, Yamaha 3080 or possibly Anthem 720 but that would be a real stretch to convince the finance minister.

 

Was leaning towards the Marantz but now thinking Yamaha.

 

50/50 music and movies, in a living room not dedicated Theatre Room.

 

Have Paradigm speakers and Veledyne sub with. Denon 3808 receiver from 2008.

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthem 1st if it has all the features you want.

Marantz for features and ok-ish sound

Forget the other 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Anthem 1st if it has all the features you want.

Marantz for features and ok-ish sound

Forget the other 2

Yamaha 3080 gets 9/10 on reviews on audio advice though which is interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

Trying to decide between Denon 3600H, Marantz 6014, Yamaha 3080 or possibly Anthem 720 but that would be a real stretch to convince the finance minister.

 

Was leaning towards the Marantz but now thinking Yamaha.

 

50/50 music and movies, in a living room not dedicated Theatre Room.

Your challenge is the last sentence, which I have highlighted in italics. 50/50 mix will require a more musical inclined AVR which means either the Marantz or Anthem. To help with a shared environment, you need to consider room correction. Hence, Anthem MRX 720 should be on top of your list.

 

Curious why NAD T758V3 did not make your shortlist?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

Yamaha 3080 gets 9/10 on reviews on audio advice though which is interesting.

I'd say that's concerning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Your challenge is the last sentence, which I have highlighted in italics. 50/50 mix will require a more musical inclined AVR which means either the Marantz or Anthem. To help with a shared environment, you need to consider room correction. Hence, Anthem MRX 720 should be on top of your list.

 

Curious why NAD T758V3 did not make your shortlist?

The NAD doesn't seem to have Dolby Vision, not many HDMI inputs, not that I have a lot, no FM tuner? How would I get local radio?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

most reviews are "paid" reviews..

 

can i ask why you want to change out the denon 3808? is due to wanting a better feature set or just boredom? that denon, power wise, is as good as the others for home use imo $ for $.

 

is it "critical" music/movie listening or just the normal home use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Arry74 said:

The NAD doesn't seem to have Dolby Vision, not many HDMI inputs, not that I have a lot, no FM tuner? How would I get local radio?

If Dolby Vision is a must have, then skip the NAD. Yes, it does not have many HDMI ports, but if that is important, then have to go up to more expensive T777V3. Instead of a FM tuner, it will use BluOS to tune to local radio via Internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

most reviews are "paid" reviews..

 

can i ask why you want to change out the denon 3808? is due to wanting a better feature set or just boredom? that denon, power wise, is as good as the others for home use imo $ for $.

 

is it "critical" music/movie listening or just the normal home use?

Hi mate basically more features, Atmos, streaming etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So basically Marantz or Anthem. Anthem is approximately $1500 more. Is it worth $1500 more do you think then the brand new Marantz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

So basically Marantz or Anthem. Anthem is approximately $1500 more. Is it worth $1500 more do you think then the brand new Marantz?

It depends on what you mean by value! That is why I have the NAD T758V3, which I consider a value for money AVR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

It depends on what you mean by value! That is why I have the NAD T758V3, which I consider a value for money AVR. 

Problem for me is I cannot find or listen to the NAD in Perth for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


44 minutes ago, Arry74 said:

Problem for me is I cannot find or listen to the NAD in Perth for some reason.

It is indeed strange that there are no NAD dealers in Perth. Other than finding someone here who can let you listen to their own setup, it looks like the Marantz or Anthem.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the budget, the models you have shortlisted and the fact that you haven't mentioned you care how it sounds, id just buy the one that has the features you want. All the models you have mentioned from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha will probably sound as good as what you have now and the bonus is the new features.

 

If its a step up in sound quality you want go from Nad or Anthem and follow the advice your are getting from @Snoopy8 providing they have the features you want.

 

For me, Dolby Vision isn't even on my short list of things I look for in a receiver, the way it sounds is No.1 and always will be but each to their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

For me, Dolby Vision isn't even on my short list of things I look for in a receiver, the way it sounds is No.1 and always will be but each to their own.

Just to add to Hi-Fi Whipped's comments, AVR brands which are better for music include Cambridge Audio (which he has), Arcam, NAD, Anthem and Marantz.  Better to avoid the others...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

If its a step up in sound quality you want go from Nad or Anthem and follow the advice your are getting from @Snoopy8 providing they have the features you want.

 

Yes I wouldn't write NAD off as the new generation is about to land [at least in the US ] . All channels driven spec is linked to the high efficiency of its class d power .. And could have DV passthrough like most do these days :winky:

https://nadelectronics.com/nad-previews-t-778-reference-avr/

Edited by cwt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Another option would be to buy a cheaper AVR and add a stereo integrated amplifier with home theatre by-pass, all within the same budget.

You might be surprised at how better the music sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second on the integrated amp with HT bypass for music, that would walk over most AVR. Having a good preamp with HT bypass would be another option if budget is limiting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Given the budget, the models you have shortlisted and the fact that you haven't mentioned you care how it sounds, id just buy the one that has the features you want. All the models you have mentioned from Denon, Marantz and Yamaha will probably sound as good as what you have now and the bonus is the new features.

 

If its a step up in sound quality you want go from Nad or Anthem and follow the advice your are getting from @Snoopy8 providing they have the features you want.

 

For me, Dolby Vision isn't even on my short list of things I look for in a receiver, the way it sounds is No.1 and always will be but each to their own.

Wish I can hear the NAD in Perth. I can go hear the Anthem. Only problem is of the Finance Minister lets me spend that much on a receiver. Wonder what price I could bargain the Anthem down to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely would like an increase in music quality but as it is not a dedicated home theatre room will be 50/50 music and movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 12:32 PM, wolster said:

Another option would be to buy a cheaper AVR and add a stereo integrated amplifier with home theatre by-pass, all within the same budget.

You might be surprised at how better the music sounds.

What would be an example of this is equipment wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Soundfever said:

Second on the integrated amp with HT bypass for music, that would walk over most AVR. Having a good preamp with HT bypass would be another option if budget is limiting

What would be an example of this is equipment wise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are few options comes to mind. From personal experience. I had an Marantz 6011 with a Rotel 1552M2 for a 7.1.4 setup, movie great, music okay. Add an Elektra Preamp in between now both movie and music are great. Saying that there are 3 pieces of equipment and cost has gone up, I was able to use 12v trigger to turn things on/off. Listened to the 6014 yesterday at the shop, it is okay, maybe because I am used to my system and it didn't engage me.Might be different if it is fully set up and configured. 

 

1. x3600 : under $2k, all in one box, neutral sound, 6/10 for music(accurate) and 6/10 movie.

2. 6014.: Around $2k, all in one box, warmer sound, great for 7/10 music if that is your taste and 6/10 movie.

3. 6011 onward + integrate amp (egMarantz Pm6006, cyrus ONE HD) USED, around $2.5k, increase music dynamic and options, increase boxes and start up sequence, 8/10 music and 7/10 movie.

4. 6011 onward + preamp (eg Cyrus PreDac, emotiva pt100, Elektra Pre, PsAudio Stella PreDac) + existing Denon 3803 AVR for power USED. upgrade power amp later if required. $2.5k upward. Now things are getting busy and alot of pre flight sequence with start up and shutdown. Alot of options and flexibility, can mix an match to find the sound that you like and that can lead you down to a very deep rabbit  hole. 8/10 for music and 8/10 for movie. 

5. Used Mid range AVR Arcam, Anthem, Denon 4500 etc, $2k+, great all in one boxes, 7/10 music and 8/10 for music. 

 

The ratings are estimate and just a guide, it all depends on the mix of equipment and taste in sound. Make a start somewhere and upgrade down the track, make sure that both you and your family is happy with the setup, ie ease of use and good sound. I tend to read/watch reviews with cautions these day, best that you go into a shop and listen to it yourself and see when one you prefer. SNA classified is a great place for bargains and good gears. Good luck and have fun, but be warned it is addictive. 

Edited by Soundfever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/11/2019 at 8:49 PM, Arry74 said:

I definitely would like an increase in music quality but as it is not a dedicated home theatre room will be 50/50 music and movies.

Hi I know the 3808 my dad still has one :)

 

as a heads up denon readjusted the number scheme so if looking for a 3 series equivalent at minimum check out the 4 series denon eg 4500H currently. If can pick up a run out or second hand 4 series post 2016 it will do ALL you can throw at it. You don’t have to have latest abd greatest :) 

 

now Marantz is basically a cousin. Pretty similar under skin but do put effort on top with regards music. Will find better output stage and better toroid etc because as they say “music matters” equivalent of denon 4500h is the marantz 7013 but to save money can go back to a 7012 or 7011 won’t miss much of anything as all are 2016 and post models 

 

ive myself owned both denon and Marantz some 15 ? Years going up in range most definitely pays dividends :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...