Your most listened to records...

@08Boss302  I knew you would be a wealth of info - Cheers Bro.

I have digital (mp3) copies of 'Human' and the 'The Sound of Perseverance', but I'm not sure of their sources and quality.  They sound good though.

I'm not that familiar with them yet, but enough to pick up Human on vinyl and get to know them a whole lot better.  I started listening to them after researching a few 'essential' lists.  But as you know, there is so much out there it's easy to miss great bands , albums and music.

Thanks for the tips, will get on the hunt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

@08Boss302  I knew you would be a wealth of info - Cheers Bro.

I have digital (mp3) copies of 'Human' and the 'The Sound of Perseverance', but I'm not sure of their sources and quality.  They sound good though.

I'm not that familiar with them yet, but enough to pick up Human on vinyl and get to know them a whole lot better.  I started listening to them after researching a few 'essential' lists.  But as you know, there is so much out there it's easy to miss great bands , albums and music.

Thanks for the tips, will get on the hunt.

Sound of perservernce is the last album Death did prior to Chuck passing away.  Awesome album progressive but brutal too - lots of riffs.  Note the cover of Painkiller as last track! you'll never hear it played like that elsewhere!!

Its almost worth starting at Scream Bloody Gore and just cycling through their career mate, you'll get a good perspective of their growth and having seen your posts in metal currently spinning i am confident you'll be a solid fan of all their work.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:59 AM, surprisetech said:

1.  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Pack up the Plantation Live.

Hey mate.  Now there's someone I enjoy listening to, but have no vinyl.  Cheers.

Except for Jackson Browne & Steely Dan, I haven't heard any of the others in your list.  I know some names but not music.

Thanks for your list, expanding the horizons is the goal here.

10 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey mate.  Now there's someone I enjoy listening to, but have no vinyl.  Cheers.

Except for Jackson Browne & Steely Dan, I haven't heard any of the others in your list.  I know some names but not music.

Thanks for your list, expanding the horizons is the goal here.

Thanks, Yeah, showing my age!

I don't buy much new vinyl now, but I was buying those records new on first release.  I've got Hard Promises on vinyl as well.

You've probably heard of The Jam.  Style Council is Paul Weller's next band after he decided that The Jam had run its course.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Gotta love how diverse musical tastes are!! it is great how people can be drawn to a hobby but have so much difference in how and why they get to it.

I do listen to a range of stuff, from Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, SRV, Fleetwood Mac etc too, but as the question was more about listening now and all time metal is and will always be the major listening preference, the other stuff is just once in a while.

Off to see KISS again next week for the upteenth time on their "farewell" tour.   

Sorry to hear today that the  KISS tour has been cancelled..............someone's ill. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Smp said:

Sorry to hear today that the  KISS tour has been cancelled..............someone's ill. 

yeah the singer Paul Stanley has influenza, they'd cancelled Perth and NZ but were hoping he'd be ok for rest of tour, not to be. I had influenza earlier this year and it took me 3 weeks to get to work and about 2 more to feel on my game again.  They're also saying he has a bad throat infection.  At his age resting is more important than touring - and KISS dont need the money hahah

Hoping there is a reschedule soon tho!!

11 minutes ago, Smp said:

A good friend was to see them in Newcastle for the first time, at the Newcastle 500 Supercars.  I wonder who will be playing there now?

On 12/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, metal beat said:

currently on high repeated rotation

Dope Lemon - Smooth Big Cat

Rüfüs Du Sol* - Solace

Film School - Bright To Death

The Artist (Formerly Known As Prince) - Emancipation

old faves - too bloody many, but off the top of my head

Depeche Mode - Violator

New Order - Brotherhood

Dire Straits - Making Movies

INXS - Kick

Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery

Damn, how could I forget two of the greatest albums ever made

John Foxx.    Metamatic 

John Foxx   The Garden

Just now, BuzzzFuzzz said:

A good friend was to see them in Newcastle for the first time, at the Newcastle 500 Supercars.  I wonder who will be playing there now?

its a good question!

I have seen multiple times on each tour since 95, i didnt go to 1980 as i was 4yrs old! I even bought a ticket to the melbourne F1 just to see em a few years back.  This year Ozzy, Metallica and now KISS have all cancelled due to an illness of sorts.  Old age catching up with em all I reckon!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

i didnt go to 1980 as i was 4yrs old!

Yeah man.  I was 13 in 1980, bought my first Kiss album in 1980, and tried with much passion to persuade my parents to take me and see them in Sydney.  It was not to be and I was shattered.  They did let me see Maiden in 1982, for which I am eternally grateful.  I was allowed to travel by train with a school mate, on a school night too.

The ABC filmed the Sydney KISS gig, which I didn't know when younger and missed it on TV.  I picked it up on DVD a few years back, it's pretty good and well produced.  I have a couple of the KISS DVD box sets, (early work/later work), it has many live gig video's and a few audio Cd's.

KISS are a bit hit and miss live, sometimes the sound is just woeful.

I saw them in Homebush in 2004 on the Rock the Nation tour.  I can't remember the exact details, but Peter Criss was supposed to be on the tour early on, and wasn't, I'm not sure if Ace was early on as well.

I was a bit iffy about seeing them in my older years, as I didn't want to shatter my younger memories.  With Peter Criss on board I decided to go, but it wasn't to be.  I'm glad I went though, it was a fantastic show, and I can say "I've seen them".

They did a set at the Enmore Theatre in Newtown on that tour.  I wish I had paid more attention back then, I would have tried to get tix for that, would love to see them in a small venue. 

Another good friend I've left in Queensland was to see Metallica.  He is 34/35 years old and has never seen a live band.  His first gig last year was Eminem, but as my mate said "Not really a band".  He was so much looking forward to seeing them as his first live band, he was disappointed to say the least. 

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Yeah man.  I was 13 in 1980, bought my first Kiss album in 1980, and tried with much passion to persuade my parents to take me and see them in Sydney.  It was not to be and I was shattered.  They did let me see Maiden in 1982, for which I am eternally grateful.  I was allowed to travel by train with a school mate, on a school night too.

The ABC filmed the Sydney KISS gig, which I didn't know when younger and missed in on TV.  I picked it up on DVD a few years back, it's pretty good and well produced.  I have a couple of the KISS DVD box sets, (early work/later work), it has many live gig video's and a few audio Cd's.

KISS are a bit hit and miss live, sometimes the sound is just woeful.

those KISS boxsets are awesome, i bought them also, great life line of footage from early to recent.  The SBS filmed gig is great, has Eric Carr on drums but still a great set. I love that Unmasked album era.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Gotta love how diverse musical tastes are!! it is great how people can be drawn to a hobby but have so much difference in how and why they get to it.

I do listen to a range of stuff, from Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, SRV, Fleetwood Mac etc too, but as the question was more about listening now and all time metal is and will always be the major listening preference, the other stuff is just once in a while.

Off to see KISS again next week for the upteenth time on their "farewell" tour.   

I’m so glad I saw Michael Jackson in here, one of my regular rotations also along with pink Floyd and Fleetwood max. I cop a hot of heat for MJ LOL

Edited by candyflip
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Dana said:

I’m so glad I saw Michael Jackson in here,

Hey Dana, yes indeed, although quite controversial in here too, mixed feelings about listening to him these days.

I have a very nice Aust. copy of 'Thriller', great sounding record and great music.

Cheers.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

46 minutes ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Dana, yes indeed, although quite controversial in here too, mixed feelings about listening to him these days.

I have a very nice Aust. copy of 'Thriller', great sounding record and great music.

Cheers.

Ant.

Michael Jackson, Gary Glitter, Pete Townshend, John Travolta, GG Allin. All controversial, yet I would not hesitate to listen to them, as long as they're not preaching race hate or domestic violence.

I'd even listen to The Mentors.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

2.  Black Sabbath  'Mob Rules'     

When I first got back into records around three years ago, this was the first album I replaced, with a second NM Aussie pressing.

I was in year 8 when this was released, it copped a flogging on our stereo and I especially liked it through the headphones.

Another record that transports me back every time it spins.

It's always a toss up between this and 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath', and as I don't currently listen to that on vinyl it can't be listed.

3.  Led Zeppelin  'IV'

I have had three Aussie pressings and the Jimmy Page remaster.  

Have always loved this classic record and it transports me to a magical, medieval world.

Nice One! Mob Rules is a great album. I would say I enjoy both Heaven & Hell and Mob Rules both equally. One usually doesn't get played without the other right after. 

For me my top 3 'go to' vinyl spinners:

1. LZ - Houses Of The Holy: I nearly always start with D'yer M'aker. Hearing those drums come in.. then settle on the main beat, accomapnied by the the slinky guitar that continues throughout the song... just brings a big smile to my face. Then following right after is No Quarter.. what a track, the keyboards, the dirty guitar the haunting and sullen vocals, so cool.

2. Hunters & Collectors - Human Frailty

I just love playing this album front to back. I do particularly enjoy the first track: Say Goodbye The bass guitar is so strong and prominant throughout the album, such a great tone, gets the blood boling, and I enjoy the stories being told in the lyrics. For me it was the last good Hunters album, they were still a bit Arty and had a bit of youthful pashion and aggression in them.

3. Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies: Again, the bass! The first track... Rotten Apple... the bass and the drums, the constant guitar/vocoder solo and of course Layne's signature haunting vocals

These 3 records are fav's of mine to play on my TT set-up, just 'cause they sound so good and give me a lot of enjoyment right away. 

Edited by Cideburns
  • Like 2

I've just transplanted my vinyl on Tuesday from some Bunnings garage shelves into some bargain, second hand, Ikea kallax shelving. So I put a bit of thought into this question whilst doing so. My 'all time' and 'recent' lists are basically the same thing, being so comparitively new to the hobby compared to most of you. I'd therefore like to take the liberty of breaking 'the rules' and give a top 5? in no particular order.

1. John Martyn - "So Far So Good"; $1 op-shop find, compilation album that has all the good songs from his first 3 albums. Was a gateway to acquiring his entire discography and finding a deep appreciation for his willingness to experiment and think outside the square in his later career.

2. Daft Punk - "Random Access Memories"; I had no idea my very cheap system could sound so good. An old friend showed me the 'making of' videos and I wasn't really into it at the time. After seeing it get a lot of praise on this forum I picked up a copy on vinyl and was blown away by the production quality.

3. UB40 - "Signing Off"; Another $1 op shop find. Mintiest condition, great songs. Inspired me to create/frontman a moderately successful dub reggae band for 4 years so it must be doing something right. 'Burden Of Shame' being the standout track for me.

4. Rare Earth - "Ma"; The title track may aswell have been written about my grandma, except she raised FOURteen childen as opposed to 13 as in the lyrics. One of the first vinyl records I ever heard in my life, shown to me by my favourite uncle who gifted me my first turntable and first few records. Took me a while to find a copy but now I own a mint Aus press and hunting for the elusive US  first press and JP presses because it's just THAT good.

5. Crowded House - "Temple Of Low Men"; Another one already mentioned in this thread. Another $1 Salvos find. Pure nostalgia, great sound quality. Richard Thompson guitar solo and my favourite Crowded House song 'Into Temptation'.

Now that I've finished the top 5 I realise I could probably do a top 20 but these 5 certainly hold a special place in my 'collection'.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 9:48 PM, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey Guys.

I'm interested in which records you listen to with the most regularity, especially all you well known members, but encouraging newcomers who may become well known in time

Even as I post regularly, I don't post everything I listen to and over time our more often played choices may not be apparent.

Feel free to elaborate on your choices to your hearts content, we all have a story when it comes to our favourite records and bands.  Some of you know I like to ramble on a bit sometimes.

Keeping it exclusively vinyl with different threads for other formats.

Maybe two lists each with three albums...  1.  Top 3 giving you the most delight at present.

2.  Top 3 on highest rotation in collection.

I've been buying some new vinyl recently.  When I was young all records sounded bloody unreal.  We had a nice Pioneer stereo and it rocked.  When my brother and I moved into a flat, he had a very nice system too.

After joining this forum around 3 years ago, my ears have certainly become a lot more critical and quite a few of my records sound pretty ordinary, compared with others that are commonly accepted as great sounding records i.e. Roxy Music's 'Avalon'.

I now have some awesome sounding vinyl, but I'm looking for better versions of some of my favourite albums.  The prime example is Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'.  I have had two, second hand, Aust. pressings that were in fair condition, and currently the Earmark reissue which is just woeful.  One of my top three albums and I don't listen to vinyl - shame on me!  I'm on the hunt for the Rhino Records reissue.

Right now I listen to great sounding records.  My top 3 spinners right now are -

1.  Muse  'Origin of Symmetry' 

The only Muse album I have on vinyl, picked up at JB HiFi soon after release.

I have most of their CD's and a couple of DVD's, saw them at Riverstage in Brisbane around 2009(?)

Great sounding record and Muse in strong form.

2.  The Angels  'Two Minute Warning'

I've only had this about two weeks but it's been getting a workout.  The sound is as I remember from an old friend's copy - excellent.

The band I have seen the most in my life.  This album was released as I was finishing year 12 and beginning to go to licenced gigs.

Live music and Aussie pub rock were in fine form.  I've always been happy with the CD, but recently added to my essential vinyl supply.

3.  Alkaloid  'Liquid Anatomy' 

Progressive, Technical Death Metal from Germany.

You'll see from my next top 3 list that Metal is normally my thing.

My first gig was Maiden's 'The Beast on the Road'.  I listen to many styles of music but I always return to Metal.

Very impressed with the all round quality of this release.

My Top 3 records ever in rotation are...

1.  KISS  'Dynasty'    

The first record I ever bought myself.  I have a lovely U.S. promo copy that sounds awesome.  My original Aussie copy was played to death. 

It's No.1 on the list because it was the first.  I've never really liked 'I was Made for Lovin' You' & 'Sure Know Something', but the rest of the album rocks.

For me it is the sound of New York from that time, I have strong, positive emotional connections to the record itself and the music. 

2.  Black Sabbath  'Mob Rules'     

When I first got back into records around three years ago, this was the first album I replaced, with a second NM Aussie pressing.

I was in year 8 when this was released, it copped a flogging on our stereo and I especially liked it through the headphones.

Another record that transports me back every time it spins.

It's always a toss up between this and 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath', and as I don't currently listen to that on vinyl it can't be listed.

3.  Led Zeppelin  'IV'

I have had three Aussie pressings and the Jimmy Page remaster.  

Have always loved this classic record and it transports me to a magical, medieval world.

There are no rules - Enjoy -

I’ve been waiting to finish building my new record player cabinet before i immerse myself back into the vinyl - I can’t wait. Linn record player needs a new needle (ouch) !

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/11/2019 at 5:52 AM, Dana said:

I’m so glad I saw Michael Jackson in here, one of my regular rotations also along with pink Floyd and Fleetwood max. I cop a hot of heat for MJ LOL

I am only new to Vinyl so have not got any MJ on Vinyl yet (but will) but I have plenty on CD - the Invincible album is actually one of my favourites of his - the song Speechless is stunning - how it builds the worst thing about that song is when it ends as it is so epic. Is that on vinyl (guess I need to check on Discogs). And the Dangerous album - love that too. I am actually not a fan of Thriller for some reason - if I could only have one MJ record it would be Invincible. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

My favourites from a small collection of only about 50 albums (newbie collection)

Etta James - The Best of (new UK release - it is superb and beats any CD hands down)

Madonna - Erotica - 2012 Sainsbury White Vinyl pressing & regular black pressing (2012 & 2019)

Madonna - True Blue ( original 80s Aussie pressing)

Prince - 3121 - Legacy release issue

Prince - Chaos & Disorder - Legacy release issue

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms - original 80s Aussie pressing (but I need to get a better copy of this as a little crackly)

Was it supposed to be only three? Oops - seems I can't count !!

?

• Like 1