Your most listened to records...

Hey Guys.

I'm interested in which records you listen to with the most regularity, especially all you well known members, but encouraging newcomers who may become well known in time

Even as I post regularly, I don't post everything I listen to and over time our more often played choices may not be apparent.

Feel free to elaborate on your choices to your hearts content, we all have a story when it comes to our favourite records and bands.  Some of you know I like to ramble on a bit sometimes.

Keeping it exclusively vinyl with different threads for other formats.

Maybe two lists each with three albums...  1.  Top 3 giving you the most delight at present.

2.  Top 3 on highest rotation in collection.

I've been buying some new vinyl recently.  When I was young all records sounded bloody unreal.  We had a nice Pioneer stereo and it rocked.  When my brother and I moved into a flat, he had a very nice system too.

After joining this forum around 3 years ago, my ears have certainly become a lot more critical and quite a few of my records sound pretty ordinary, compared with others that are commonly accepted as great sounding records i.e. Roxy Music's 'Avalon'.

I now have some awesome sounding vinyl, but I'm looking for better versions of some of my favourite albums.  The prime example is Black Sabbath's 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath'.  I have had two, second hand, Aust. pressings that were in fair condition, and currently the Earmark reissue which is just woeful.  One of my top three albums and I don't listen to vinyl - shame on me!  I'm on the hunt for the Rhino Records reissue.

Right now I listen to great sounding records.  My top 3 spinners right now are -

1.  Muse  'Origin of Symmetry' 

The only Muse album I have on vinyl, picked up at JB HiFi soon after release.

I have most of their CD's and a couple of DVD's, saw them at Riverstage in Brisbane around 2009(?)

Great sounding record and Muse in strong form.

2.  The Angels  'Two Minute Warning'

I've only had this about two weeks but it's been getting a workout.  The sound is as I remember from an old friend's copy - excellent.

The band I have seen the most in my life.  This album was released as I was finishing year 12 and beginning to go to licenced gigs.

Live music and Aussie pub rock were in fine form.  I've always been happy with the CD, but recently added to my essential vinyl supply.

3.  Alkaloid  'Liquid Anatomy' 

Progressive, Technical Death Metal from Germany.

You'll see from my next top 3 list that Metal is normally my thing.

My first gig was Maiden's 'The Beast on the Road'.  I listen to many styles of music but I always return to Metal.

Very impressed with the all round quality of this release.

My Top 3 records ever in rotation are...

1.  KISS  'Dynasty'    

The first record I ever bought myself.  I have a lovely U.S. promo copy that sounds awesome.  My original Aussie copy was played to death. 

It's No.1 on the list because it was the first.  I've never really liked 'I was Made for Lovin' You' & 'Sure Know Something', but the rest of the album rocks.

For me it is the sound of New York from that time, I have strong, positive emotional connections to the record itself and the music. 

2.  Black Sabbath  'Mob Rules'     

When I first got back into records around three years ago, this was the first album I replaced, with a second NM Aussie pressing.

I was in year 8 when this was released, it copped a flogging on our stereo and I especially liked it through the headphones.

Another record that transports me back every time it spins.

It's always a toss up between this and 'Sabbath Bloody Sabbath', and as I don't currently listen to that on vinyl it can't be listed.

3.  Led Zeppelin  'IV'

I have had three Aussie pressings and the Jimmy Page remaster.  

Have always loved this classic record and it transports me to a magical, medieval world.

There are no rules - Enjoy -

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 6

Not spinning many (any) records at the moment at all ('a bit of a lull' would be an understatement), so I'll just go with the all-time most frequent (for now):

1. Pink Floyd - WYWH (Aussie 1st press)

This album is just the definition of the joy of vinyl for me - from the first bars of SOYCD, through Welcome to the machine, the title track, etc.... Perhaps DSOTM, The Wall, Animals are better albums overall - I just feel there is some magic that keeps me coming back to WYWH

2. Daft Punk - RAM (a cheap bog standard issue)

Love the music, love the mastering, love the gatefold, robots, helmets, grooves, synths, vocoders - I just cannot fault this.

3.  Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (early Jap press)

My fave release by them, although I practically grew up with the tape of Money For Nothing (dIRE sTRAITS compilation), still nothing can compare to Brothers in Arms album. Their first album "Dire Straits" is a close second by a smidgen.

• Like 3

AT PRESENT:

I don't tend to have any vinyl on frequent rotation, but these have had more than one spin in recent months.

1.  Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Pack up the Plantation Live.

We've never tired of this one.  Live album with a good mix and a genuine sense of engagement.
2.  Style Council - Café Bleu

Gives the towers a good workout.  Eclectic mix of funk, soul and pop sounds.
3.  Housemartins - London 0, Hull 4

A bit of everything here.  Upbeat and down tempo, thought provoking and fun lyrics, some great hooks and gorgeous harmonies.

ALL-TIME:

This is a tougher one for someone my age!  There could be about a dozen or more on this list, but I think these are probably my top 3 most listened to LPs.
1.  The Blue Nile - A walk across the rooftops. 

Early proof that electronica could be done really well.
2.  Jackson Browne - Lives in the balance.

Browne at his most passionate surrounded by amazing personnel and great production.
3.  Steely Dan - Gaucho

Great backstop to get started with when I'm not sure what I want to listen to.

• Like 3

Hi All,

Currently:

1. Heilung - Lifa 

Experimental, primitive music, predominately percussion and vocals 

2. Robert Plant and The Ceaseless Roar

A well produced album with controlled singing by the legend

3. The Flaming Lips - Kings Mouth

A big fan and this is another of their 'out there' albums that I like.

All Time, and That's A Long Time:

1. The Beatles - Revolver

The transitional album from their 'pop' music to Sgt Peppers, to me probably their most important and underrated album.

2. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

The followup to DSOTM, but I preferred it more, possibly because of the story that was the music industry at that time

3. The Kinks - The Kinks

The first LP I can remember buying, a band that was part of the 'British Invasion' but were so much different than most of the other, their songs were of the grittiness of England and the want to seek better things.

A special mention to David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World, great lyrics, composition and a generally excellent LP.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 5

Currently but not necessarily new;

1; Fairground Attraction- First of a Million Kisses

2; Big Pig- Bonk

3; Muse- The 2nd Law

All three were played a recent small GTG

All Time

1; INXS- Kick

2; Crowded House- Temple of Low Men

3; The Smiths- The Queen is Dead

Edited by blybo
  • Like 2

Currently

1. Mum: Yesterday Was Dramatic - Today Is OK

2. Alaskan Tapes - You Were Always An Island

3.Claypool Lennon Delirium - Monolith Of Phobos

All Time

1. Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn

2. Jethro Tull - Aqualung

3. Yes - Close To The Edge

• Like 3

Cool thread idea Ant!

Currently (in no order)-

1. Gatecreeper - Deserted

New death metal with a big lean to early 90's sound.  If you like Bolt Thrower and Dismember this band will definitely be to your liking.   This is a great album that doesn't create anything new but does what it does very well. 

2. DragonForce - Extreme Power Metal

Awesome power metal done the DragonForce way. Ridiculously blazing solos, blast beats and power metal vox.  This release has some great moments throwing back to 80s synth pop music.  I totally dig it.  Catchy, melodic, big gatefold packaging.  Sure it all maybe a bit cheesy LOL, but its a fun listen.

3. Sacred Reich - Awekening

Old school thrash/heavy metal band, first album in many many years and its great.  Back to what they do, didn't try to evolve or mature and this does not sound dated. 

Of all Time  (in no order)

This is a hard list to compile but taking that old adage of what 3 albums I'd take to a deserted island these came up in my head LOL

1. Iron Maiden Live After Death. 

My first live album and my introduction to Iron Maiden.  Still to this day after Churchills speech rolls off and Aces High starts its amazing.  Timeless classic to which IMHO all live albums are measured against - certainly in the metal genre anyway  - KISS Alive comes super close.  Everything about this album is just on point, the band were flying, the timing of release, the songs, the artwork,  the production.  UP THE IRONS!

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace. 

Not on the tip of everyone's tongue with Megadeth's best album but this to me is as close as the perfect thrash album as it gets.  Yeah bonded by blood is amazing, reign in blood is kick to the head, Master of Puppets is great but I am tired of it, there are plenty of others that can be mentioned but when i put this on, each and every time it leaves me thinking its a pure masterpiece in song writing and technique.  Sure it came right at the end of the thrash golden period but its that damn good it really doesn't matter if people see it as a classic of the genre or released a bit too late.  This is MegaDave at his artistic best with band that matches his vision.

3.  Death - Human

I got this on cassette on release (then on record) and I have never put it on or heard a song come up where I've wanted to change it or skip the track.  Death Metal with musicianship that to this day challenges current artists.  Chuck Shuldiner (R.I.P) was a pure genius, there is no such thing as a bad Death release, they are one of the VERY few bands in my collection (Anthrax another) where EVERY release just kills.  Human is a death metal album but has enough in it to raise the eyebrow of tech/prog heads and also thrash heads. 

Gonna break the rules here but I cannot let this pass without mentioning Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction & Anthrax Spreading the Disease.  I could cycle these in quite easily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

Cool thread idea Ant!

Currently (in no order)-

1. Gatecreeper - Deserted

New death metal with a big lean to early 90's sound.  If you like Bolt Thrower and Dismember this band will definitely be to your liking.   This is a great album that doesn't create anything new but does what it does very well. 

2. DragonForce - Extreme Power Metal

Awesome power metal done the DragonForce way. Ridiculously blazing solos, blast beats and power metal vox.  This release has some great moments throwing back to 80s synth pop music.  I totally dig it.  Catchy, melodic, big gatefold packaging.  Sure it all maybe a bit cheesy LOL, but its a fun listen.

3. Sacred Reich - Awekening

Old school thrash/heavy metal band, first album in many many years and its great.  Back to what they do, didn't try to evolve or mature and this does not sound dated. 

Of all Time  (in no order)

This is a hard list to compile but taking that old adage of what 3 albums I'd take to a deserted island these came up in my head LOL

1. Iron Maiden Live After Death. 

My first live album and my introduction to Iron Maiden.  Still to this day after Churchills speech rolls off and Aces High starts its amazing.  Timeless classic to which IMHO all live albums are measured against - certainly in the metal genre anyway  - KISS Alive comes super close.  Everything about this album is just on point, the band were flying, the timing of release, the songs, the artwork,  the production.  UP THE IRONS!

2. Megadeth - Rust In Peace. 

Not on the tip of everyone's tongue with Megadeth's best album but this to me is as close as the perfect thrash album as it gets.  Yeah bonded by blood is amazing, reign in blood is kick to the head, Master of Puppets is great but I am tired of it, there are plenty of others that can be mentioned but when i put this on, each and every time it leaves me thinking its a pure masterpiece in song writing and technique.  Sure it came right at the end of the thrash golden period but its that damn good it really doesn't matter if people see it as a classic of the genre or released a bit too late.  This is MegaDave at his artistic best with band that matches his vision.

3.  Death - Human

I got this on cassette on release (then on record) and I have never put it on or heard a song come up where I've wanted to change it or skip the track.  Death Metal with musicianship that to this day challenges current artists.  Chuck Shuldiner (R.I.P) was a pure genius, there is no such thing as a bad Death release, they are one of the VERY few bands in my collection (Anthrax another) where EVERY release just kills.  Human is a death metal album but has enough in it to raise the eyebrow of tech/prog heads and also thrash heads. 

Gonna break the rules here but I cannot let this pass without mentioning Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction & Anthrax Spreading the Disease.  I could cycle these in quite easily.

You’re not an Undertaker by any chance?

2 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At least once a week for over 40 years:

- Unhalfbricking - Fairport Convention

- Deja vu - CSN&Y

- Blue - Joni Mitchell

Regularly at present but just have to break the rules, so:

- Music from Big Pink - The Band

- After the goldrush - Neil Young

- Fotheringay - Fotheringay

- Moondance - Van Morrison

-Traffic - Traffic

-Blind Faith - Blind Faith

- For the roses - Joni Mitchell

- WYWH - Pink Floyd

- Soular Energy - Ray Brown Trio

- Are we there yet? - Sara K and Chris Jones

Edited by Smp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Smp said:

You’re not an Undertaker by any chance?

LOL, nah far from it, just a person who has enjoyed metal music for pretty much my whole life. Started with KISS as a little tacker and kinda just went on from there.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

LOL, nah far from it, just a person who has enjoyed metal music for pretty much my whole life. Started with KISS as a little tacker and kinda just went on from there.

Then you must be my son - always sounded like he was tuning motorbikes in his bedroom....................

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, 08Boss302 said:

Cool thread idea Ant!

Agreed!

All my LPs (singles too) are stacked under a desk at the moment, so there is no recent list. As there are no rules, I'll add a few extras to my all-time list, to compensate.

All-Time!

1/  Kraftwerk - Autobahn.  Never fails to impress, or is quickly overlooked if it ever has done.

2/  Wall Of Voodoo - Call of the West.    As this LP contained Mexican Radio, that was enough reason to buy it. Mmmmm, barbecued iguana.

3/  Suicidal Tendencies - S/T.   Bought early in my purchasing days and worth a few extra bucks now. Fave track: Institutionalised.

4/  GG Allin and the Jabbers - "Was, Is and Always shall be".  Don't know GG? Expand your horizons... This is some of his softer, less in-your-face music from the 80's.

5/  TANKARD - "Chemical Invasion".   The title song was a plea to the German government to stop considering the dilution of the Beer Purity Law. (and this before I was a homebrew fan).

5B/.  I Spit On Your Gravy ‎–:Fruit Loop City".   (Punk, psycho-billy  madness and fun). Was introduced to this in Canberra, by a guy I met while working in Adelaide.

Minor placings:

6/ The Exploited - Totally Exploited.  top pick: Punks Not Dead

7/ G.B.H. - "No Survivors".  top pick - City Baby Attacked By Rats

8/  Anthrax - State of Euphoria.  top pick : Antisocial

9/ Angry Samoans - Back from Samoa.  top pick - They saved Hitler's C**k.

10/ Massappeal ‎– Nobody Likes A Thinker  [highlight - the bong hit and massive cough/reject before "Deadheads"]

Edited by Uncle Seth
addition of 5B ( I Spit On Your Gravy ‎– Fruit Loop City)
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

KISS eh, the guys with all the make up...............actually just looking at our two record lists it's amazing how very different they are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Smp said:

KISS eh, the guys with all the make up...............actually just looking at our two record lists it's amazing how very different they are.

Gotta love how diverse musical tastes are!! it is great how people can be drawn to a hobby but have so much difference in how and why they get to it.

I do listen to a range of stuff, from Michael Jackson, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, SRV, Fleetwood Mac etc too, but as the question was more about listening now and all time metal is and will always be the major listening preference, the other stuff is just once in a while.

Off to see KISS again next week for the upteenth time on their "farewell" tour.   

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 2

Right now, most played are probably:

Flaming Lips - The Kings Mouth

Present from my family for Father’s Day. Have been playing it many times because as they say it takes repeated listening

alt J - live at Red Rocks

Because I love Alt J and it makes me think of the U2 album by the same name that I would have played a lot in the 80s

Various - Woodstock 5 album reissue set from Rhino. Birthday present to my partner. She loves Woodstock

All time, is really hard but 3 that occur to me:

The Jam - Sound Affects

See my avatar, I’m a fan from forever, the mod father was definitely one of my heroes in my youth

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Best jazz album ever, definitely better than kind of blue which is amazing. We would play this to put the kids to sleep when they were young, so it got played very often. They are 15 now and probably don’t care much for Coltrane.

Radiohead - ok computer

Best album of the last 30 years without a doubt.

Thanks for the topic and for reading my dubious selection.

• Like 2

currently on high repeated rotation

Dope Lemon - Smooth Big Cat

Rüfüs Du Sol* - Solace

Film School - Bright To Death

The Artist (Formerly Known As Prince) - Emancipation

old faves - too bloody many, but off the top of my head

Depeche Mode - Violator

New Order - Brotherhood

Dire Straits - Making Movies

INXS - Kick

Electric Light Orchestra - Discovery

• Like 3

Interesting topic, I was thinking last time that I have over 1000 records but I always ending listening to the same albums:

Justin Bieber - Justin Bieber JUST kidding ;)

Santana Abraxas

Dire Straits Making Movies

Cat Stevens - Foreigner

Billy Joel - 52nd Street

Sade Promise

• Like 4

Way to go guys.

Just home from dinner service and nice to see a few more posts.  Cool to see you are into it.

I agree that it's a difficult decision.  As mentioned in my first post 'there are no rules', I could list my top 3 records from different genres easily.

Feel free to add to, or amend your lists at any time.

There are many albums listed that I know, and many that I'm not familiar with.  One reason for this thread is to find some new, quality material.

Many years ago I bought unfamiliar records now and then, usually second handers, to explore new music before the internet.

You can find some gems and some duds with this approach, and I usually didn't fork out much for the gamble.

These days, after a few years membership here, I have a wealth of resources at my fingertips.  People who love music and usually share the love by recommending albums to hear.

What better way to narrow down the search for new music.  Much more economical that the lottery of buying something totally unknown.

I must admit that when I hunt for new music it's always the cover that gets me first, then the titles.  If they don't give me any tingles, anticipation or intrigue, I usually pass.

So I've definitely missed some great music by not 'clicking' with the cover first.

@Neurone  I bought The Lennon Claypool Delirium 'The Monolith of Phobos' on vinyl about two years ago, one of my early internet purchases and unfamiliar territory.

Both discs are extremely noisy with clicks, pops, and rasping, and no amount of cleaning helped.  Unfortunately I left it to late to respond to the seller and was stuck with the faulty records.  Bummer.  If I listen to it now it's an mp3.  When I get a new copy it will be Top 3 in one list or another.

@Janjuc  I'm expecting Oczy Mlody any day soon, after your recommendation.  Still haven't checked out the new one on youtube.

I think Heilung's 'Lifa' will be in my catalogue soon too.

@blybo   I give Big Pig's 'Bonk' a spin probably 2 or 3 times a year.  Great album.

@08Boss302   Hey man, sweet write ups.  Right now I'm spinning Roxy Music's 'Avalon', but like you I began with KISS and went heavier and heavier.  Actually, to be honest, ABBA were my first love.

I always return to Metal.  I can't explain it and I know why people don't get it, but for me it's an 'Order from Chaos' that resonates deeply within my primal self.  I can switch off and immerse myself in the rumble find the groove and detail.  In my now mature years it normally is quality sounding Metal.  If it doesn't sound good it begins to irritate and makes me feel uneasy.  Although there is no way I listen to Metal if under a psychedelic influence, which is a profoundly primal experience for me and goes hand in hand with music.

The 'erb is another story though, is goes very well with my Metal.

Maiden were my first live gig, maybe that has some bearing on my passion for heavy music.

I do get over it from time to time and have had quite long breaks away from metal, for a couple of years I avoided aggressive music almost completely.

But I always come back.  

@Smp  Hey mate, thanks for the post.  I know some names and have the Neil Young vinyl.  I picked up a second hand, autographed copy of Van Morrison's 'Wavelength' very cheap a while back, not excellent nic, but not too bad.

A beauty of this forum is it's diverse membership, it has definitely expanded my horizons.

Will post a few more replies later...

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, surprisetech said:

Hope the posts keep coming.

All great contributions, but I fear this is another thread that's going to end up costing me more money! ;)

Guess you are right if you will try to buy an autographed Ivan’s album :)

• Like 1

Hey @08Boss302, I'm gonna have a look for Death's 'Human' on vinyl.  Before I even start I thought I should ask you which pressing, or pressings are worthy???

I don't even know how many pressings there might be; I wanted to ask you before looking at discogs, as I'm sure you know what's what.

Cheers.

Ant.

Just now, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Hey @08Boss302, I'm gonna have a look for Death's 'Human' on vinyl.  Before I even start I thought I should ask you which pressing, or pressings are worthy???

I don't even know how many pressings there might be; I wanted to ask you before looking at discogs, as I'm sure you know what's what.

Cheers.

Ant.

Good work dude!!

If looking at vinyl the original is pricey these days but worth it if the copy has been looked after. 

If not then, the most recent relapse re issues are bloody great.

I've got the century media issues on CD as well but they are not so good, brick walled IMO.

If you can find FLAC versions online of the original or Relapse re issues of any of the Death releases check em out.  The CM versions are not terrible but they lost some of the dynamics and were definately brick walled compared to the originals and the later relapse releases.

I've got CD copies of all three record label versions and vinyl of original and relapse versions.  I happily listen to the relapse versions, you wont go wrong there on you hunt.

Human was the first of the more technical death albums as such, stepping away from the straight and narrow death metal of the first three.  From Human onward they really became more than a death metal band.  That said, the first 3 albums are also insanely good. 

I solomnly stand by my comment that you can reach for any of their albums and not find a weak link at any point of their career.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:47 AM, zippi said:

Not spinning many (any) records at the moment at all ('a bit of a lull' would be an understatement), so I'll just go with the all-time most frequent (for now):

1. Pink Floyd - WYWH (Aussie 1st press)

This album is just the definition of the joy of vinyl for me - from the first bars of SOYCD, through Welcome to the machine, the title track, etc.... Perhaps DSOTM, The Wall, Animals are better albums overall - I just feel there is some magic that keeps me coming back to WYWH

2. Daft Punk - RAM (a cheap bog standard issue)

Love the music, love the mastering, love the gatefold, robots, helmets, grooves, synths, vocoders - I just cannot fault this.

3.  Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (early Jap press)

My fave release by them, although I practically grew up with the tape of Money For Nothing (dIRE sTRAITS compilation), still nothing can compare to Brothers in Arms album. Their first album "Dire Straits" is a close second by a smidgen.

Hey Zippi.  Nice one mate.

Of course Pink Floyd will feature prominently.  I'm spinning Pink Floyd's 'DSOTM' 2016 Sony Remaster right now.  I have an early Aus. press in fair condition only, it's still playable and enjoyable and sounds better, but I always think of my stylus when playing crackly records.

I have Daft Punk's first album on CD, not sure which version, I bought it in Sydney soon after release (I think).  My Cd's are still packed away from moving a few months back.

I've only heard 'RAM' once, not too long ago either.  Will have to give it some more attention, thanks.

Tragically, I have a bad association with Dire Straits and my first girlfriend and can't listen to them much these days.  Tragic because 'Brothers in Arms' was the first CD I ever heard and it blew me away.  We listened to them a lot and now I think of her every time, which in itself ain't so bad, but she turned out to be a little... um, what's the word? Psycho!

Cheers man. 

• Like 1