Beginner here, I have been gifted a set of epos es14 speakers with stands and a small collection of vinyl.

i wouldn’t know where to start and am looking for advice to purchase a amp and turntable to suit.

Budget up to $1200

cheees

welcome to SNA, the Epos are a legendary speaker, i would definitly looking at secondhand with your budget to do justice to the speakers, there are a couple of Rega 3's for sale 6 - 7 hundred mark, you would need more posts to access the classifieds, then you migh have to put a wanted to buy add for your amp with what is left of the budget, good luck, other members may make you offers of gear they have stored

And this.

Spend a bit more. The Es14's are an extremely talented speaker and don't need average gear in front of them.

Spend the extra and you will be very happy.

Edited by Wimbo

I hope this doesn't seem like crazy hifi guy speak, but you'll want to steer clear of amps that have a "dry" or "hard" presentation as the Epos will give it to you in spades. The Exposure linked above should be great. Newer Rega units would also be good and if vintage floats your boat see what 70s Luxman gear might surface.

I pick up the Rega planar 3 linked here from Baz on Saturday so now it’s just the amp. What about this one on ebay, it’s in my budget, in regards to cables is there anything I need to consider.

amp music fidelity a100

CEC2F0CE-1ABD-4AF9-8732-6273A2643B54.png

I have an earlier A1 driving a pair of Usher S-520 speakers, does a great job.

3 hours ago, Juddy79 said:

I pick up the Rega planar 3 linked here from Baz on Saturday so now it’s just the amp. What about this one on ebay, it’s in my budget, in regards to cables is there anything I need to consider.

amp music fidelity a100

Careful. The A1 does run hot, and considering where you live... 

5 hours ago, Juddy79 said:

amp music fidelity a100

A very highly regarded amp in its day, however be careful. They do not have a huge reputation for reliability. As others have noted they run hot, properly hot. Known to fry in their own juices as they are a little short on heatsinks able to cope with the heat they produce. Being in Australia that problem is only increased due to our ambient temperatures. If operating tickety-boo it would appear to be a fair choice.

Always good to stretch the budget as far as possible, of course we all have a cut off point. Easy to chew up the cash buying and selling early on and moving sideways or backwards! Where ever possible find a local seller, drag your speakers over and plug them in, the only way to actually access if they work well as a team.

Fine speakers, worthy of quality partners. Don’t forget you will need a built in phono stage or a seperate one to run your TT.

@Juddy79 I have sold both the A1 and A100 FWIW. The A1 was more unreliable. Both these amps are close to or at least 30 years old. 

Be careful. Might end up costing you more then you think.

Other then that, the A100 would be a decent choice.

Just so you can get a reference. My Epos ES 14's back in the 80's were run by a DNM Series 3 Twin driving Marantz MA6 monobloks. Front end was a Linn LP12/Ittok.

They are that good.

The reason the A1 used to fry itself was poor application of thermal paste to the heatsink, sometimes only 2/3 of the join was covered, once the reason was discovered better QA reduced the problem.

@Juddy79 there is a cambridge cx80 in the classifieds for 1k, a bit above your budget, but would do the speakers justice,well reviewed and i doubt you would be upgrading for a long time

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cangur4242 said:

Hi

I have  pair of Epos ES 14 for sale.

I am in Frankston 3199.

They are in perfect condition .

I am asking for $700.

Do you know anyone who wants a pair?

regards

Dan

Advertise in Classifieds please mate. Advise if they come with stands, what series and photos.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dudeman500
      Item: Epos Epic 1 Bookshelf Speakers
      Price: $300
      Item Condition: Good 9/10 (I live in apartment so haven't driven these hard)
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:
       I'm pretty sure I have the original Packaging with the baffles and wand in storage (so can dig them out if you're keen)

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Anthonyh
      Item:  EPOS EPIC 2 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS
      Price: $500
      Item Condition: EXCELLENT USED
      Reason for selling: TO MUCH AUDIO GEAR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Epos Epic 2 Speakers
      Excellent condition - Suit new buyer Selling due to having to much audio gear in my small apartment Low hours as I have several speakers I rotate for listening Great sounding. Please google for reviews large box - I prefer pick up any questions please feel free to ask Thanks for looking

Pictures:

• By Colls
      Item: Epos M-22 & M-8 Center
      Price: $1,100 or ONO
      Item Condition: Good
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Cash, Pick up only

Pictures:

• By Colls
      Item: Epos M-22, M-8 Center and MIT AVT1 Bi-Wire 10ft Speaker cables.
      Price:  $750.
      Item Condition: Good.
      Reason for selling: No longer required.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash only.

Extra Information: Nice sounding speakers with the right amp.
      Pm me if intrested or want further information.

Pictures:

• By Max Headroom
      Item: Epos ES14 Speakers
      Price: $650.00
      Item Condition: 8.5+
      Reason for selling: Too many speakers
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (Buyer to pay fees)
      Extra Info: See http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products/archive/es14/ - Don't know if the specs are accurate as they are for the Mk1 versions, and these are MkII or later.

Well what can I say, these speakers have a great reputation. With the right amplification they are fast, revealing, natural and produce a large soundstage (They actually image better and throw a larger soundstage than my Spendor A9 speakers, and thats saying something!). Apparently they sound great with Naim amplification. And we've had them sounding awesome with powerful Musical Fidelity amplification.

These must be MkII or MkIII versions as I've read a Stereophile review of the Mk1's and it mentions that they are not bi-wireable or come with covers, but as you can see the ones I'm selling are/do.

They really sound wonderful, and I'll be sorry to see them go. You won't find new speakers below what I'm asking that will have the presence and sound of these almost new Epos speakers.

The condition is close to new, no chips or marks on the cabinets or drivers at all, and basically have sat on speaker stands for years without being touched. They've never been driven hard - These speakers were my brothers and his tastes in music lean to jazz, soft rock and classical. If I had to be really critical, there are SLIGHT indentations on the bottom of one of the speakers from the stands he had them on - see the last photo. it photos looks worse than the real thing because I shot the speakers in very directional light that shows up imperfections. Hard to see in normal lighting, and the marks are on the BOTTOM of the speaker. But the tops, sides, fronts and rears of the cabinets are unmarked and pristine. Even more impressive is that all the corners of the cabinets are prefect, unmarked. The drivers are unmarked and in perfect condition. The foam covers have long since fallen appart so unfortunately don't have them anymore - but it would be a crime to put covers on these from an aesthetic and sonic perspective. (The pics were taken some time ago so you will see the foam in one pic). I do have the foam bungs though!

You'll see images of ES14 speakers on the internet and the adhesive backed velcro tape that holds the foam covers in place has come off. The velcro tape on these are still in as new condition.

They have been sitting on some frightfully heavy stands - happy to throw in if taken at listed price (pickup only as theyre REALLY heavy). I'll put photos of the stands up tonight.

From the internet:

"Epos 14 is a very good speakers for Naimese and others,it is one of the most recommended speakers /talk-about bigBOY intimate toy besides the legend SBL/Neat/DMS/PMS/. One of the finest speakers ever made and built to JamesBond 007 standards from the very best British series. Epos14 i believe its a very special spks that will transform your listening times - supremely musical, whilst remaining precise and rhythmical and completely truthfully represented across all the frequencies.

EPOS 14 [crossover less] can be driven active fairly easily, hook it to Nac42/Nap110, you are assured of Naim PRAT all the way to its root."

Don't know what else to say. We don't have the boxes so prefer pickup in person, but happy to take speakers to the local Pack'n'send and send at buyers expense and risk - I'd probably insist that courier costs include insurance. And the speakers are bi-wireable and don't come with jacks/connectors to work with a single pair of cabling. They don't have a crossover network, which is probably why they are bi-wireable and also sound so natural and effortless.

A donation will be made to StereoNet after these speakers are sold.

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
      Pictures: The speakers look smaller in these photos than they really are - I would class them as medium to large standmount speakers

Pictures: