Amp to drive epos es14

Beginner here, I have been gifted a set of epos es14 speakers with stands and a small collection of vinyl.

i wouldn’t know where to start and am looking for advice to purchase a amp and turntable to suit.

Budget up to $1200

cheees

welcome to SNA, the Epos are a legendary speaker, i would definitly looking at secondhand with your budget to do justice to the speakers, there are a couple of Rega 3's for sale 6 - 7 hundred mark, you would need more posts to access the classifieds, then you migh have to put a wanted to buy add for your amp with what is left of the budget, good luck, other members may make you offers of gear they have stored

• Like 2

And this.

Spend a bit more. The Es14's are an extremely talented speaker and don't need average gear in front of them.

Spend the extra and you will be very happy.

Edited by Wimbo
  • Like 3

I hope this doesn't seem like crazy hifi guy speak, but you'll want to steer clear of amps that have a "dry" or "hard" presentation as the Epos will give it to you in spades. The Exposure linked above should be great. Newer Rega units would also be good and if vintage floats your boat see what 70s Luxman gear might surface.

• Like 2

I pick up the Rega planar 3 linked here from Baz on Saturday so now it’s just the amp. What about this one on ebay, it’s in my budget, in regards to cables is there anything I need to consider.

amp music fidelity a100

CEC2F0CE-1ABD-4AF9-8732-6273A2643B54.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Juddy79 said:

I pick up the Rega planar 3 linked here from Baz on Saturday so now it’s just the amp. What about this one on ebay, it’s in my budget, in regards to cables is there anything I need to consider.

amp music fidelity a100

Careful. The A1 does run hot, and considering where you live... 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Juddy79 said:

amp music fidelity a100

A very highly regarded amp in its day, however be careful. They do not have a huge reputation for reliability. As others have noted they run hot, properly hot. Known to fry in their own juices as they are a little short on heatsinks able to cope with the heat they produce. Being in Australia that problem is only increased due to our ambient temperatures. If operating tickety-boo it would appear to be a fair choice.

Always good to stretch the budget as far as possible, of course we all have a cut off point. Easy to chew up the cash buying and selling early on and moving sideways or backwards! Where ever possible find a local seller, drag your speakers over and plug them in, the only way to actually access if they work well as a team.

Fine speakers, worthy of quality partners. Don’t forget you will need a built in phono stage or a seperate one to run your TT.

• Thanks 1

@Juddy79 I have sold both the A1 and A100 FWIW. The A1 was more unreliable. Both these amps are close to or at least 30 years old. 

Be careful. Might end up costing you more then you think.

Other then that, the A100 would be a decent choice.

Just so you can get a reference. My Epos ES 14's back in the 80's were run by a DNM Series 3 Twin driving Marantz MA6 monobloks. Front end was a Linn LP12/Ittok.

They are that good.

• Like 2

The reason the A1 used to fry itself was poor application of thermal paste to the heatsink, sometimes only 2/3 of the join was covered, once the reason was discovered better QA reduced the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, cangur4242 said:

Hi

I have  pair of Epos ES 14 for sale.

I am in Frankston 3199.

They are in perfect condition .

I am asking for $700.

Do you know anyone who wants a pair?

regards

Dan

Advertise in Classifieds please mate. Advise if they come with stands, what series and photos.