Dayton DSP 408

Grizaudio

Hi All,

I am looking to use the Dayton DSP 408 for some basic room/speaker correction.

Later down the track I may experiment (have fun) with going active.

I was just wondering whether anyone has experience with this DSP who could comment on its subjective sound quality, impact on the signal chain etc.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-408-4x8-dsp-digital-signal-processor-for-home-and-car-audio--230-500

The software appears quite basic, although all required filtering and crossover requirements seem available (Without stepping into FIR's). 

image.png.1e3a4e1435b1bd9caa2a9b43ae4d3368.png

Cheers Steve 

2 hours ago, Wozza_Lee said:

It's apparently quite serviceable. It's the same price as the minidsp umik-1 which apparently has better tolerances.

They are both compatible with room eq wizard. Look up Minidsp forums and room eq wizard tutorials to get an idea

I was asking about the Dayton DSP, not the USB measurement microphones. 

Thanks 

25 minutes ago, A9X said:

Same processor as the original MD.

Hmmm.  Interesting, I had assumed it was not due to the channel count, and the listed SNR specs.

... but ahhh ... what they've done to get the channel #s and performance ..... is use 2x of the DSP chips (from the minidsp) .... and then they've added some extra ADCs and DACs in addition to what is already built into the 1701 DSPs.

30 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Hmmm.  Interesting, I had assumed it was not due to the channel count, and the listed SNR specs.

... but ahhh ... what they've done to get the channel #s and performance ..... is use 2x of the DSP chips (from the minidsp) .... and then they've added some extra ADCs and DACs in addition to what is already built into the 1701 DSPs.

I have a friend who said he uses the unit for an active speaker setup.

Apparently his experience is positive. Little to no background noise, and subjectively decent sound quality. 

I wonder if Paul Spencer from LSK could provide any insight.

He would no doubt have an excellent understanding v's miniDSP, Behringer etc 

3 hours ago, musicbee said:

Little to no background noise, and subjectively decent sound quality. 

As long as your gain structure is good, you will get this.    Even more so on the Dayton than on the MiniDSP.

The big factor comes down to what setting you put in the DSP (ie. how you design your 'active setup') .  ?

9 hours ago, A9X said:

Not with HE speakers. I had one, and now have 4x10HDs.

Interesting. 

20 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

As long as your gain structure is good, you will get this.    Even more so on the Dayton than on the MiniDSP.

The big factor comes down to what setting you put in the DSP (ie. how you design your 'active setup') .  ?

Just touching on Daves point, I think product quality (Power Supply, SNR, etc) is just as important.

In my experience product design/quality plays an extremely important factor in the areas of hiss and background signal noise. 

I have tried many DSPs in identical applications, and the pro units (Symetrix, QSC Core, BSS, Biamp) produce far less hiss and background levels than miniDSP in the same application.  

Even with input gain optimised, many Hifi amplifiers don't provide coarse gain adjustment for the output stages like commercial amplifiers do, which adds to the issues.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Grizaudio said:

I didn't personally. My friend did. 

He ended up moving away from the unit, as it has non by-passable gating. 

Sorry I have tried to search what gating is but my skills have been found lacking. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Cheers

10 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Sorry I have tried to search what gating is but my skills have been found lacking. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Cheers

My understanding is the DSP utilises 'input gating', whereby the DSP at low input levels mutes. 

You could imagine in a car environment this is done to reduce electrical, background noise etc.

My friend contact Dayton, and they confirmed this function cannot be switched off.

Obviously this is not ideal for low level listening in a HiFi scenario. 

He now uses this DSP:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979626577.html?srcSns=sns_Copy&spreadType=socialShare&bizType=ProductDetail&social_params=20042389915&tt=MG&aff_fsk=_mq3jE9n&aff_platform=default&sk=_mq3jE9n&aff_trace_key=5c39c225c84b498496fad47345d78f1d-1611312267821-06750-_mq3jE9n&shareId=20042389915&businessType=ProductDetail&platform=AE&terminal_id=fceddd04db9749bc8402a97ba3b8152c

Edited by Grizaudio

@Grizaudio ahh makes sense. Thank you for the reply.

That's a bit of a pain but not a deal breaker for me though as mainly just want crossover functionality. Thanks for sending the link. That looks interesting too.

Too many options....

Edited by Bunno77

17 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

@Grizaudio ahh makes sense. Thank you for the reply.

That's a bit of a pain but not a deal breaker for me though as mainly just want crossover functionality. Thanks for sending the link. That looks interesting too.

Too many options....

Well that should be ok....i guess. 

Yes the option is cheap. He also said it sounds alot better. 

More detail etc etc.