Sign in to follow this  
GreatSouthernTime

Advice: Replacing Bookshelf’s

Hey Guys. 

sadly my cleaner just dropped and  broke my bookshelf speakers, a trusty set of Jamo e610. 

I am wanting to replace them but before I do I wanted some advice on models to look at. 
I am running a modest set up made up of a REGA P1 into a vintage Technics SU-2500 Amp. 
I usually play fairly chilled music and don’t blow the volume so a natural sound would be preferred. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks 

welcome to SNA, usual questions, budget, room size, placement, the Technics looks like a good amp, looking at the RRP of the Jamo, i would recommend Monitor Audio Bronze B2, front ported and more efficient than the Jamo, i have a pair of earlier BX2, great sound for the money, there is a pair in the classified's but you would need more posts to access, good luck, i'm sure others will post with their ideas, the choice is always yours, a demo is always good , you could take your amp with you when auditioning

9 minutes ago, wen said:

welcome to SNA, usual questions, budget, room size, placement, the Technics looks like a good amp, looking at the RRP of the Jamo, i would recommend Monitor Audio Bronze B2, front ported and more efficient than the Jamo, i have a pair of earlier BX2, great sound for the money, there is a pair in the classified's but you would need more posts to access, good luck, i'm sure others will post with their ideas, the choice is always yours, a demo is always good , you could take your amp with you when auditioning

Thanks for the reply Wen. 

Room size is approx 30sqm. 
budget second hand between 200-400. 
placement is centre of room backed on wall. 

the monitor are something I was considering when buying these. I’ll take a look. 

I liked the Q Acoustics Concept 20 which are in your budget. They do like to be a bit out n the room though so not sure how they'd go back against the wall.

Trusty Usher S-520 are in your price range.

There are two or three Jamo bookshelfs on Facebook if you want a direct replacement the Ushers are great in a small room. 

these speakers are rear ported, would be concerned about placing them against a wall, specs are 60hz - 20khz, the MA Bronze 2 are 42hz - 20khz, one review i read said they used a sub below 60hz for the Castle, i suspect you would have to upgrade your amp and look at a different placement for the castle's, i have only heard bookshelf Castle's with a tube amp, sounded wounderful

7 hours ago, wen said:

these speakers are rear ported, would be concerned about placing them against a wall, specs are 60hz - 20khz, the MA Bronze 2 are 42hz - 20khz, one review i read said they used a sub below 60hz for the Castle, i suspect you would have to upgrade your amp and look at a different placement for the castle's, i have only heard bookshelf Castle's with a tube amp, sounded wounderful

Thanks for the tip. 

On 23/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, wen said:

@GreatSouthernTime, how is the speaker replacement going?

Picked up a pair of Castle Richmond Anniversary bookshelfs. Beautiful speaker but prob a little light for the large room they are in. 

I’ll look to add a sub to fill in the bottom end or replace them with a different bookshelf with a little more depth. 

6 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Good to hear. A sub is definitely on the cards I feel :)

Yeh. Although I’m running a stereo amp which is sounding awesome but doesn’t have a sub output, I assume. 
thinking I’ll have to update amp so will have to do some more research. 

and so the fun begins. Haha

55 minutes ago, GreatSouthernTime said:

Yeh. Although I’m running a stereo amp which is sounding awesome but doesn’t have a sub output, I assume. 
thinking I’ll have to update amp so will have to do some more research. 

and so the fun begins. Haha

You can run speaker cables out to the sub if it also has high level speaker inputs along with the RCA.

4 hours ago, lemarquis said:

You can run speaker cables out to the sub if it also has high level speaker inputs along with the RCA.

That’s great advice. And no sound quality is compromised? 

12 hours ago, GreatSouthernTime said:

That’s great advice. And no sound quality is compromised? 

Not at all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this