GreatSouthernTime

Advice: Replacing Bookshelf’s

Hey Guys. 

sadly my cleaner just dropped and  broke my bookshelf speakers, a trusty set of Jamo e610. 

I am wanting to replace them but before I do I wanted some advice on models to look at. 
I am running a modest set up made up of a REGA P1 into a vintage Technics SU-2500 Amp. 
I usually play fairly chilled music and don’t blow the volume so a natural sound would be preferred. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks 

welcome to SNA, usual questions, budget, room size, placement, the Technics looks like a good amp, looking at the RRP of the Jamo, i would recommend Monitor Audio Bronze B2, front ported and more efficient than the Jamo, i have a pair of earlier BX2, great sound for the money, there is a pair in the classified's but you would need more posts to access, good luck, i'm sure others will post with their ideas, the choice is always yours, a demo is always good , you could take your amp with you when auditioning

9 minutes ago, wen said:

welcome to SNA, usual questions, budget, room size, placement, the Technics looks like a good amp, looking at the RRP of the Jamo, i would recommend Monitor Audio Bronze B2, front ported and more efficient than the Jamo, i have a pair of earlier BX2, great sound for the money, there is a pair in the classified's but you would need more posts to access, good luck, i'm sure others will post with their ideas, the choice is always yours, a demo is always good , you could take your amp with you when auditioning

Thanks for the reply Wen. 

Room size is approx 30sqm. 
budget second hand between 200-400. 
placement is centre of room backed on wall. 

the monitor are something I was considering when buying these. I’ll take a look. 

I liked the Q Acoustics Concept 20 which are in your budget. They do like to be a bit out n the room though so not sure how they'd go back against the wall.

Trusty Usher S-520 are in your price range.

There are two or three Jamo bookshelfs on Facebook if you want a direct replacement the Ushers are great in a small room. 

these speakers are rear ported, would be concerned about placing them against a wall, specs are 60hz - 20khz, the MA Bronze 2 are 42hz - 20khz, one review i read said they used a sub below 60hz for the Castle, i suspect you would have to upgrade your amp and look at a different placement for the castle's, i have only heard bookshelf Castle's with a tube amp, sounded wounderful

7 hours ago, wen said:

these speakers are rear ported, would be concerned about placing them against a wall, specs are 60hz - 20khz, the MA Bronze 2 are 42hz - 20khz, one review i read said they used a sub below 60hz for the Castle, i suspect you would have to upgrade your amp and look at a different placement for the castle's, i have only heard bookshelf Castle's with a tube amp, sounded wounderful

Thanks for the tip. 

On 23/11/2019 at 8:58 PM, wen said:

@GreatSouthernTime, how is the speaker replacement going?

Picked up a pair of Castle Richmond Anniversary bookshelfs. Beautiful speaker but prob a little light for the large room they are in. 

I’ll look to add a sub to fill in the bottom end or replace them with a different bookshelf with a little more depth. 

6 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Good to hear. A sub is definitely on the cards I feel :)

Yeh. Although I’m running a stereo amp which is sounding awesome but doesn’t have a sub output, I assume. 
thinking I’ll have to update amp so will have to do some more research. 

and so the fun begins. Haha

55 minutes ago, GreatSouthernTime said:

Yeh. Although I’m running a stereo amp which is sounding awesome but doesn’t have a sub output, I assume. 
thinking I’ll have to update amp so will have to do some more research. 

and so the fun begins. Haha

You can run speaker cables out to the sub if it also has high level speaker inputs along with the RCA.

4 hours ago, lemarquis said:

You can run speaker cables out to the sub if it also has high level speaker inputs along with the RCA.

That’s great advice. And no sound quality is compromised? 

12 hours ago, GreatSouthernTime said:

That’s great advice. And no sound quality is compromised? 

Not at all.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By gypr1961
      Item: Avantgarde Zero 1 XD Active Speakers DSP
      Price: $19,000 + shipping
      Item Condition: Mint
      Reason for selling: Time for a change
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

These are the top of the line model, above the pro model and come with DSP, digital and an analogue (A/D card) for turntables etc.

They are incredibly dynamic! They sound just as good when theyre shaking the house or playing whisper quiet. 

I have all original packing

As im going to need a complete new system Im happy to look at trades + cash

Specs can be found here https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/zero-serie/zero-1-xd.html

• By Paul_B
      Item: Whatmough S33i Signatures
      Location: Cheltenham can post at buyers expense. Won’t be cheap they are large and heavy. 
      Price:  $6500 open to realistic offers. 
      Item Condition: 18 months old still Like new. Have original packaging. 
      Reason for selling: no room for hifi equipment 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank Transfer 
      Extra Info:
       I’m regretfully selling these but with my move to QLD  I don’t have room for a large hifi system. They are located at my old work The Audio Experts / Whatmough Audio in Cheltenham and can be picked up from there.  

these are a beautiful sounding speaker they are still a current model and retail at $11,499 they perform well above price range. 

If they sell at $6500 I’ll include the upgraded isolation feet.  

Description
      Whatmough S33i 3-Way Floor-Standing Speakers
      Overview
      The Whatmough S33i floor standing speakers are the ultimate speaker in the Whatmough Signature series. Their design and built quality are up to the audiophile standards.  The S33i delivers truly spectacular sound.
      The Signature S33i are based on the Performance Series P33i, with significant improvements to bring them up to Signature Series status.
      Cabinet
      This cabinet design offers more than just great looks – they also offer improved sound quality.  By eliminating internal parallel surfaces, the curved surfaces offer clearer and cleaner sound by minimizing internal standing waves.  Even more significantly, the curved panels are inherently more rigid and less resonant than the flat panels of a conventional speaker cabinet, which further helps to minimize coloration.
      Tweeter
      The Signatures S33i uses the same Ring Radiator tweeter that is used in Whatmough’s flagship speaker, the Paragon. This ultra-expensive tweeter sounds incredibly fast and detailed while also sounding extremely smooth and open. It has a very flat response extending to beyond 40KHz.
      Midrange
      The Signature S33i uses a 100mm cellulous fibre coned mid-range driver. This driver has the speed and transparency no bass/mid driver can match.
      Bass
      The Signature S33i uses two 170mm fiberglass/nomex hybrid drivers especially developed for these speakers. The cone for this speaker is made of Nomex with a skin of fiberglass. This long throw driver uses a 33mm high temperature voice coil and a large double magnet system.
      This driver has very high power handling as well as a very transparent detailed sound quality.
      Crossover
      The S33i uses high grade audiophile film and foil capacitors in critical positions.  Air cored coils are used throughout, wound from a heavier grade of high purity Australian copper.
      System
      The perfect partner in the Signature Series system featuring the S8i in the centre and P12i or PFX3i speakers in the rear for a truly exceptional home cinema surround sound experience.
      The S33i is fully made in Australia.

Configuration
      3-way bass reflex enclosure using two 170mm hybrid fibre cone long elbow bass drivers, a 100mm cellulose fibre midrange driver and a 35mm dual concentric tweeter with wave guide centre plug.

Nominal Impedance 4 Ohms

Amplifier Power Requirement 25-150 watts RMS

Power Handling
      Transient level in excess of 300 watts with an average level of 120 watts.

Sensitivity
      88dB input level of 2.83V. (1 watt into 8 ?)

Frequency Response
      38Hz to 40kHz ± 3dB

Dimensions
      260W x 1200H x 430D mm

Weight 45kg each

Finish
      Real Bubinga Timber Veneer or Piano Graphite

Warranty 5 Years*

Photos:

Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.
    • By Swart042
      🎄It's Christmas, I would  consider any reasonable offers!🎄

you can pick it up today and listen to great music toning!  Also including cables as per picture.

Item: Kef and Marantz surround sound system
      Price: Originally advertised for $6900 retail $9200 25% off
      Item Condition: Brand new, never been opened, have the original receipts
      Reason for selling: Financial fundrasing
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD and buyer pays for shipment if not picked up
      Extra Info:
      KEF Q400B centre speaker retail $800
      KEF Q 200C bookshelf speakers  retail $800
      KEF Q 300 subwoofer retail $1000 
      KEF Q 700 floor speakers (black oak) retail $2300
      MARANTZ UD7007 AMPLIFIER retail $1100
      MARANTZ 7009 MEDIA PLAYER retail $3200

This system is new we have never opened the boxes never used any of the items.  It would suite a music lover that loves good quality sound.  We are selling as we need to raise money to repatriate a dog stuck in transit overseas.  Please don't make an offer if you are not serious and please be reasonable.  This is NEW, it's just not in the shop anymore, the packaging has never been cut open. If you would like to buy seperate items please message me.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By mrf0ster
      Item: Dynaudio C4 Platinum Speakers (Mocca)
      Price: 16K  $15500.00 ONO
      Item Condition: Mint!
      Reason for selling: Change in personal circumstances
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: It is with the utmost regret and disappointment that I am selling the most amazing speakers I have ever owned. Due to a change in personal circumstances I can no longer keep these babies. I have only owned these for 5 months, and have been running them through a Primaluna Integrated tube amp. They are stunningly musical to my ears and I am sure the first to hear them will want them.
      The speakers are absolutely unmarked and as new. I doubt they have even broken in yet. I am open to any reasonable offer.
      Thank you.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By drainer2011
      Item: Dynaudio Focus 200XDs (decided to keep connect box and iso pucks so only selling speakers now see below price change.
      Price: $4000
      Item Condition: Used. Near brand new no marks at all.
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:In perfect condition. Connect box and iso pucks NOT included in price. Price negotiable within reason.

RRP when purchased in 2017 was
      Dynaudio Focus 200XDs- $7499

Photos:
      I’llAdvertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.